Thomas Sackett the younger
|Father||Thomas Sackett the elder (say 1530-1595)|
|Mother||Joane ___ (in say 1532-1593)|
Thomas was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in St Peter in ThanetG on 30 March 1594.4 His father died in 1595 and Thomas inherited his father's tenement and lands at St Peter in Thanet and the residue of the estate after various monetary bequests to his brother and sisters. Thomas was the executor of the estate.
Thomas was listed on the Thanet militia muster roll of 16 August 1599 as a member of St Peter's Wagoners.5
Thomas lived at Birchington and it would appear that his house and lands in St Peter were occupied and managed by John Edmunds who was buried at St Peter in Thanet on 8 October 1611, described as a servant to Thomas Sackett.6
Thomas made his will at BirchingtonG on 23 June 1615.7 He named as beneficiaries his wife Martha, his son Thomas, his daughter Johan, and his grandchildren Hugh and Martha Wright. He instructed his executors (his wife Martha and son Thomas) to sell his house and land at St Peter's to pay debts and legacies. He was also possessed of a house and land at Birchington. He willed that each of his sons should receive £10, and each of his daughters £5, after the expiry of a lease on the Birchington property. The will was proved at the Consistory Court of CanterburyG on 7 November 1615. Thomas was a yeoman farmer in the Thanet parish of Birchington and was a churchwarden (oeconomus) at Birchington Church. His sons and daughters, other than Thomas and Johan, are not referred to by name in the will. Among his sons not named was Simon Sackett who, some fifteen years later, was to emigrate to the New World.
Date: 23 June 1615.
Proved: Consistory Court of Canterbury, 7 November 1615.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 32-44-380.
Testator: Thomas Sackett, yeoman, Birchington.
Wife Martha & son Thomas, to sell house & land at St Peters to pay debts & legacies.
Sons, when 21 years, £10 each, 1 year after expiry of lease on house & land at Birchington.
Daughters, £5 each, same proviso.
Grandchildren Martha & Hugh Wright, children of daughter Joane, 50/- each.
Overseer of the will, brother-in-law Richard Stroude.
Silas Hanker?, Richard Stroud.
Wife Martha & son Thomas.
Children of Thomas Sackett the younger and Martha Strowde
- Johan Sackett+ b. 1582, d. 1622
- John Sackett b. c 1585, d. Nov 1634
- Martha Sackett b. 1588
- Sara Sackett+ b. 1591, d. 1634
- Thomas Sackett b. 1593, d. Apr 1619
- Simon Sackett the colonist+ b. 1595, d. between 5 and 10 Oct 1635
- William Sackett b. 1598, d. Sep 1615
- Henry Sackett b. 1601
- Elizabeth Sackett+ b. c 1604, d. Dec 1672
|Sackett line||Son of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
John Mockett & Anne Sackett relationship chart
Thanet DNA chart 1
Notes & Citations
- Burials Register, All Saints, Birchington, Kent (Transcript), "4 November 1615 Thomas Sackett, oeconom [churchwarden]."
- Marriages Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (Tyler transcripts, Society of Genealogists), "8 February 1581/82 Thomas Sacket & Martha Strowde."
- Burials Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (Tyler transcripts, Society of Genealogists), "4 January 1631/32 Martha Sackett widow."
- Will of Thomas Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 30 March 1594, proved at Canterbury Archdeaconry Court, 2 June 1596 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-51-184).
- Militia List for Thanet parishes of St John, St Peter, & Birchington, 1599 (Kent Family History Society, microfiche 1114), "16 Aug 1599, St Peeters Wagoners: Thomas Sacket."
- Burials Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "John Edmunds servant to Thomas Sacket was buried the 8th day of October 1611."
- Will of Thomas Sackett of Birchington, Kent, 23 June 1615, proved at Consistory Court of Canterbury, 7 November1615 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 32-44-380).
|Last Edited||16 March 2020|