|Father||John Sackett (1654-1727)|
|Mother||Mary Taylor (c 1655-1722)|
John was named as a beneficiary in his grandfather Thomas Sackett's will made at St John in ThanetG on 1 January 1709/10.6,7
John made his will at St Peter in ThanetG on 29 November 1756, naming as beneficiaries his wife Margaret, his brothers Paul and Stephen, and his sister Anne.8 He left £20 to each of his siblings. The rest of his estate, including his real estate, was to go to his wife Margaret. John and Margaret had no surviving children, their only child Mary having died aged 19 in 1739.
John's widow Margaret made her will at St Peter in ThanetG on 20 January 1757, naming as beneficiaries the children of her sister Elizabeth.9 Margaret's will specified the lands inherited from her husband John. The messuage and land in St Peter and St John in Thanet, which she occupied, were to go to her nephew Thomas Phillpott, while a further messuage in St Peter in Thanet, was to go jointly to her nieces, Ann, Elizabeth, and Margaret Phillpott, each also to receive a sum of £40.
Date: 29 November 1756.
Proved: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 6 January 1757.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-95-329.
Testator: John Sackett, yeoman, St Peter in Thanet, Kent.
Brothers Paul & Stephen, £20 each.
Sister Ann, wife of George Robson, £20.
Wife Margaret, residue of personal effects, household goods, monies, real estate [location not specified, but see Margaret's will].
Executrix: wife Margaret.
Date: 20 January 1757.
Proved: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 11 March 1758.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-95-477.
Testatrix: Margaret Sackett, widow, St Peter in Thanet, Kent.
Nephew Thomas Phillpott, son of sister Elizabeth, wife of John Phillpott, messuage & land in St Peter & St John in Thanet now in her occupation by virtue of will of late husband John Sackett.
Nieces, sisters of Thomas Phillpott, i.e. Ann Wheeler, wife of William Wheeler, & Elizabeth & Margaret Phillpott, £40 each plus messuage in St Peter in Thanet now in occupation of William Ford & Margaret Sackett at Long Robbins.
Sister Elizabeth, wearing apparel.
Child of John Sackett and Margaret Emptage
- Mary Sackett b. 17 Jan 1719/20, d. 23 Jun 1739
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "26 May 1689 John s. John & Mary Sackett."
- Thanet Obituary, monumental inscription, St Peter's Church, Thanet, Kent, stone tomb, "Here lieth the body of/ John Sackett/ who died the 24th of/ December 1756, aged 67 years/ Also Mary his daughter by/ Margaret his wife whose only/ child she was. She died the 23rd of/ June 1739 aged 19 years 5 months./ This tomb is erected by his sorrowing widow/ And also of the above said/ Margaret Sackett/ who died the 7th[?] of February 1758/ aged 79[?] years."
- Marriages Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "19 November 1718 John Sackett, bachelor, of this parish, & Margaret Emptage, spinster, of this parish."
- Baptisms Register (Tyler Index), St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, digital image, Ancestry.com, "25 Dec 1689, Margt Emptage, d. Thos & Godly."
- Burials Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (Tyler transcripts, Society of Genealogists), "5 February 1758 Margaret Sackett, 68."
- Will of Thomas Sackett of St John in Thanet, Kent, 1 January 1709/10, proved at Canterbury Archdeaconry Court, 3 March 1709/10 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-81-258).
- Inventory of the estate of Thomas Sackett of St John in Thanet, Kent, taken 7 March 1709/10 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 11-69-112).
- Will of John Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 29 November 1756, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 6 January 1757 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-95-329).
- Will of Margaret Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 20 January 1757, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 11 March 1758 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-95-477).
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Last Edited||11 Apr 2021|