|Father||Lieutenant Joseph Sackett (1659/60-1729)|
|Mother||Sarah Dennison (1671-before 1718)|
In 1790 Joseph was living in Washington, Dutchess County, New York StateG. In his household were one man and two females.7
Joseph made his will at Stanford, Dutchess CountyG, on 20 May 1795. He left his wife Abigail the benefit of one-third of his real estate during her lifetime and one-third of his personal estate. He left his eldest daughter Sarah a sum of £5 and left his real estate in New Haven to her children. He left sums of £40 and £45 respectively to his sons Reuben and Joseph, and a sum of £200 to his daughter Hester. The remainder of his real estate was to go to his son Samuel, who was also required to take care of Hester.8
Date: 20 May 1795.
Proved: Court of Common Pleas, Dutchess County, 13 April 1818, "by being brought into court by Samuel Sackett one of the heirs of sd Joseph Sackett dec’d, by two of wits Samuel Sackett and Anna Sackett formerly Anna Hammond."
Source: American Ancestors, "New York: Abstracts of Wills, Admins. and Guardianships, 1787–1835."
Testator: Joseph Sackitt, yeoman of Stanford, Dutchess County, New York.
Wife Abigail, use of one third of all my lands during her life & one third of all my moveable estate in lieu of her dower.
Eldest daughter Sarah, £5.
Children of daughter Sarah (except her son Samuel), all of my real estate in township of New Haven. Son Reuben Sackett, £40.
Son Joseph Sackett, £45.
Daughter Hester Sackett £200.
Son Samuel Sackett, all my real estate not heretofore willed. The one third my real estate given to my wife during her life, to my son Samuel Sackett after her death.
My dau Hester to be taken care of by my son Samuel.
Note: The manuscript abstract on file at American Ancestors states in the probate proceedings that Joseph was of Stamford, Dutchess County. This would have been an error for Stanford, as written in the abstract of the will.
81. Joseph Sackett, 1712–17_?, of New Haven, Conn., son of (20) Lieut. Joseph and Hannah Denison Sackett. By the terms of his will which is recorded in probate office at Poughkeepsie, he bequeaths all of his property in Dutchess County to his son Samuel, who is supposed to have been the first of his line to settle in Dutchess County.
277. Reuben Sackett.
278. Joseph Sackett.
279. Hester Sackett, b. in 1743, d. May 6, 1816.
280. Samuel Sackett, b. in 1747, d. Aug. 20, 1816; m. Thankful Wood.
Children of Joseph Sackett and ___ ___
Children of Joseph Sackett and Abigail (Rowe) Ives
Notes & Citations
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, 115, "Joseph Ye son of Lt Joseph Sacket was born October 27th 1712."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Joseph, s. Lieut. Joseph, b. Oct. 27, 1712. New Haven Vital Records, 1:203."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "81. Joseph Sackett, b. Oct. 27, 1712."
- Donald Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, digital image, American Ancestors, pp 1583–8, "Joseph, b 27 Oct 1712 NHV; rem. to Nine Partners, N.Y.; ; m after 1742 Abigail da. Matthew & Rebecca (Mix) Rowe, wid. Stephen Ives, b 17 Jan 1712/3 NHV."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), New Haven, First Congregational, "Sackett, Joseph, bp. 11 Sep 1720. 1:33."
- Donald Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, digital image, American Ancestors, p 1523, "Abigail [Rowe, d. Matthew & Rebecca (Mix) Rowe], b 17 Jan 1712/3 NHV, bp 29 June 1718 NHC1; m (1) 13 May 1736 NHV—Stephen Ives; m (2) Joseph Sackett."
- 1790 United States census
Joseph Sacket. Washington, Dutchess, NY. 1 white male (16+) and 2 white females.
- "Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787-1835", digital image, American Ancestors.
- Weygant, Sacketts of America, lists a Sarah, daughter of Joseph Sackett and an unnamed mother. No other details are given. Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, identifies this Sarah as possibly the Sarah Sackett who married Samuel Gilbert in 1750. Based on her age, 86, on death in February 1818, Sarah was born in about 1731. Her father Joseph was then 19.
|Sackett line||Grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
New Haven DNA chart 1
|Last Edited||5 Apr 2022|