|Father||Thomas Sackett (1754-1831)|
|Mother||Martha Grant (c 1760-1841)|
Francis was apprenticed at age 14 to his father for seven years from 26 October 1809. He was admitted into the freedom of the Shipwright's Company on 28 February 1817, aged 21.7,8
In 1841 Francis was living at Upper Matilda Place, St Mary Magdalen, BermondseyG, and was recorded in the census as Francis Sackett, aged 45, a shipwright, born in Surrey. The other members of his household were his wife Sarah, aged 43 and born in Surrey, and his children, Ann, 23, Thomas, 21, Francis, 17, Martha, 13, Emily, 8, and Mary Ann, aged five.9
In 1851 he was living at 26 Albert Street, St.Paul's, Tower Hamlets, Shoreditch, MiddlesexG, and was recorded as Francis Sackett, head of household, married, a shipwright, aged 55 and born in Rotherhithe. Recorded as living with him were his wife Sarah aged 53, and his children Francis, 24, Ann, 30, Sarah, 28, Emily, 18, Martha, 25, and Mary, 16. His daughters Ann, Sarah, and Martha were recorded in their maiden names but were also recorded as married.10
Children of Francis Sackett and Sarah Walker
- Ann Sackett b. 10 Nov 1816
- Thomas Francis Sackett+ b. 30 Jul 1819
- Sarah Sackett b. 4 Mar 1822
- Francis Robert Sackett+ b. 11 Apr 1825, d. 1865
- Martha Sackett b. 6 Dec 1827
- Henry Sackett b. 8 Sep 1830, d. Jul 1832
- Emily Catherine/Caroline Sackett b. 9 Jun 1833
- Mary Ann Sackett b. c 1836
- James Sackett b. 1839, d. 1839
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Sackett shipwrights of London
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Mary the Virgin, Rotherhithe, Surrey, "8 May 1795 Francis Sackett s. Thomas & Martha [altered from Mary], 7 days, b. 1 May."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1853. Sackett, Francis, 58. Stepney. 1c:364."
- Marriage Licence Allegations, Vicar-General's Office (Society of Genealogists), "9 September 1815, Francis Sackett, bachelor, 21+, of St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, & Sarah Walker, spinster, 21+, of St Mary, Rotherhithe, at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey."
- Marriages Register, St Mary le Bone, Middlesex, "24 October 1815, Francis Sackett, bachelor, & Sarah Walker, spinster."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1863. Sackett, Sarah, 60. Poplar. 1c:494."
- Burials Register, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery, digital image, Ancestry.com, "21 Sep 1863, Sarah Sackett, of Kings Terrace, Poplar, 60 yrs."
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925", digital image, Ancestry.com, Indenture of apprenticeship as shipwright, Francis Sackett to his father Thomas Sackett, shipwright of London, 26 October 1809. Consideration "faithfull service."
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925", digital image, Ancestry.com, "This is to certify the within named Francis Sackett was this 28th February 1817 admitted and sworn into the Freedom of the Shipwrights Company. John Whetstone, Clerk of the sd Company."
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Upper Matilda Place, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
Francis Sacket, 45, shipwright, b. Surrey
Sarah Sacket, 43, b. Surrey
Ann Sacket, 23, b. Surrey
Thos Sacket, 21, apprentice shipwright, b. Surrey
Francis Sacket, 17, apprentice shipwright, b. Surrey
Martha Sacket, 13, b. Surrey
Emily Sacket, 8, b. Surrey
Mary Ann Sacket, 5, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 33; Page: 19; Line: 24; GSU roll: 474649. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, 26 Albert St., St.Pauls, Tower Hamlets, Shoreditch, Middlesex
Francis Sackett, head, married, 55, shipwright, b. Surrey, Rotherhithe
Sarah Sackett, wife, 53, b. Surrey, Rotherhithe
Francis Sackett, son, unmarried, 24, shipwright, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Ann Sackett, dau, married, 30, dressmaker, b. Surrey, Rotherhithe
Sarah Sackett, dau, married, 28, milener [sic], b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Emily Sackett, dau, unmarried, 18, corset maker, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Martha Sackett, dau, married, 25, dress maker, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Mary Sackett, dau, unmarried, 16, tailoress, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
[Three daughters recorded as married but in maiden names?]
|Last Edited||27 May 2017|