Lieutenant Joseph Sackett
|Father||John Sackett of New Haven (early to mid-1620s-1684)|
|Mother||Agnes Tinkham (c 1630-1707)|
On 1 January 1717/18 Joseph was chosen by his nephew, John Sackett, to be his guardian, John's own father having died in 1703 and his mother in November 1717.16,17
Children of Lieutenant Joseph Sackett and Anne ___
Child of Lieutenant Joseph Sackett and Sarah Dennison
- Joseph Sackett+ b. 27 Oct 1712
20. Lieut. Joseph Sackett, 1660–17__, of New Haven, Conn., son of (5) John and Agnes Tinkham Sackett, was married about the year 1685 to his first wife, Anne. On May 18, 1710, he was married to his second wife, Hanna Denison, daughter of James Denison and his wife Bethiah Boykin. In 1794 the General Assembly of Connecticut, in reorganizing the militia for active service "against the common enemy." appointed "Sergeant Joseph Sackett to be Lieutenant of the soldiers raised in the county of New Haven for this service."
He was administrator of the estates of his parents and served as such until July 8, 1712, when he filed his report and was discharged. On January 1, 1717, he was chosen by his nephew John Sackett, a minor son of Lieut. John Sackett, as his guardian.
Jarvis Boykin, colonist, came from Charington in Kent, England, to Charlestown, Mass., in the year 1635. In 1639 he removed to New Haven, Conn., where in April 1643, his daughter Bethia was married to James Denison.
80. Sarah Sackett, b. Nov. 23, 1691.
|Sackett line||Son of John Sackett of New Haven|
|See also||Early American Sacketts timeline|
Thurmon King's Database, 8764
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
New Haven DNA chart 1
Notes & Citations
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, p17, "Joseph Sonne of Jo- Sackett March 3 59." (James Savage, New England Dictionary, has 3 May 1660).
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Joseph, s. Jo[ ], b. Mar. 3, 59. New Haven Vital Records, 1:26."
- James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Little, Brown & Company, Boston (1860), “SACKET, JOHN, New Haven, m. 20 May 1652, Agnes Tinkham, had John, b. 30 Apr. 1653; Jonathan, 6 June 1655; Mary, 24 Sept. 1657; Joseph, 3 May 1660; Martha, 19 Sept. 1662; and d. 3 Sept. 1684. His wid. d. 1707."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "20. Joseph Sackett, b. Mar. 2, 1660; m."
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, NEHGS, Boston, vol. 71 (1917): 6, Morris Families of Western Connecticut, "Hannah [Morris], [d. John Morris & Hannah Bishop], b. [New Haven,] 10 Aug. 1671; m. (1) Sergt. Joseph Smith, b. 14 June 1669, d. in 1713; m. (2) 26 Feb. 1717/18 Lieut. Joseph Sackett, b. 3 Mar. 1659/60, d. in 1729."
- Donald Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Online database. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008), pp 1583–8, "Joseph, b 3 Mar 1659 NHV, d 1729; Lt.; m (1) 18 May 1710 NHV—Sarah da. James & Bethia (Boykin) Denison, b 12 Apr 1671 NHV; m (2) 26 Feb 1717/8 NHV—Hannah da. John & Hannah (Bishop) Morris, wid. Joseph Smith, b 10 Aug 1671 NHV."
- Donald Jacobus, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Online database. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008), pp 1583–8, "b 3 Mar 1659 NHV, d 1729; Lt."
- Genealogies of Connecticut Families from the NEHG Register, Genealogical Publishing Co Inc (1983), 2:547 From the Morris Families of Western Connecticut Genealogy: "Hannah (Morris, d. John Morris & Hannah Bishop) b. 10 Aug 1671; m. (1) Sergt. Joseph Smith, b. 14 Jun 1669, d. in 1713; m. (2) 26 Feb 1717/18 Lieut Joseph Sackett, b. 3 Mar 1659/60, d. in 1729."
- Marriage not found in NHVRs.
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, 106, "Joseph Sacket and Sarah Dennison were married May 18th 1710 by Nathan Andrews Justice."
Weygant, p29, has same date but has Hannah Denison.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Joseph, m. Sarah Dennison, May 18, 1710, by Nathan Andrews, JP. New Haven Vital Records, 1:189."
- Weygant records marriage, same date, to Hannah Denison. He records Hannah's parents, James Denison and Bethiah Boykin, as having married in 1643. The long gap of 67 years between this date and the date of Sarah Denison's marriage to Joseph Sackett in 1710 suggests that the recording of "Hannah" instead of "Sarah" was a case of mistaken identity rather than merely a transcription error.
- Vital Records, New Haven, Connecticut, 128.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Joseph, Lieut., m. Hannah Smith, Feb. 26, 1717/18, by Sam[ue]ll Bishop, JP. New Haven Vital Records, 1:224."
- Genealogies of Connecticut Families from the NEHG Register, Genealogical Publishing Co Inc (1983), 2:547 From the Morris Families of Western Connecticut Genealogy.
- Thurmon King's database, citing New Haven Probate Records, p. 488, "Att a Court of Probates Held at Newhaven Munday Janry 6th 1717/18/ Present: Warham Mather Esqr, Judge Joser Whiting Clerk/ John Sackett A Minor Son of Lieut John Sackett Late of Newhaven Deceased before this Court Made Choice of Lieut Joser Sackett to be his Guardian who was allowed on sufficient Bonds."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, p. 29, "On January 1, 1717 [Lt. Joseph Sackett] was chosen by his nephew John Sackett, a minor son of Lieut. John Sackett, as his guardian."
|Last Edited||17 October 2019|