|Father||Richard Sackett (1626-1692)|
|Mother||Susan Tomlin (-1704)|
Richard made his will in St John in ThanetG on 28 October 1730, naming as beneficiaries his wife Martha and his children Richard and Susanna. His wife was to receive £80 and life enjoyment of the house. Susanna was to receive £300 at age 21 and a further £400 in various stocks on coming of age or marrying. Son Richard was to inherit all lands and estates "at Northdown, St John's, and elsewhere". Also named (and referred to as cousins) were his nephew John Sackett, who was to be overseer of the will jointly with Richard's brother-in-law Cornelius Tomlin, and who was left 40 shillings, and nieces Hannah Sackett and Martha Sackett, who were each remembered with bequests of 20 shillings. Cousin John, son of William Evas of Ramsgate, also left 20 shillings, would have been another nephew, the son of Richard's late sister Susan (Evers), and cousins Hannah Tomline and James Taddy would have been niece and nephew of Richard's wife Martha. Executors of the will were Richard's widow Martha and son Richard. The will was proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in April 1731.7
Date: 28 October 1730.
Proved: Prerogative Court of Canterbury, April 1731, by Martha Sackett, widow & relict.
Source: National Archives, Kew, PROB 11/644.
Testator: Richard Sackett, yeoman, St John in Thanet.
Wife Martha Sackett, £80 over & above her joynture, one-third of "household stuff within Door".
Daughter Susana Sackett, £400 which is due to me on South Sea Stock & India Stock as soon as she comes of age or marries; interest & profits until then; £300 from my personal estate when 21; trustees to invest & she to get interest until then; one-third household stuff within door & my silver tankard marked R|M; to live rent-free in the house until 21 or marriage; reversion to my son Richard Sackett.
Son Richard Sackett, messuages, tenements, malthouse, barns, stables, outhouses, edifices, buildings, lands, wood land, & premises, freehold & real estate at Northdown, St Johns, & elsewhere; Richard to pay Susana £4 per year for her life out of that part of the estate bought of Margaret Smith, widow, plus £4 per year to Susana after Martha's death out of the estate where she now lives; if Richard dies without heirs, reversion to Susana & her heirs; one-third household stuff.
Cousin John s. William Evas of Ramsgate, cousins Hannah & Martha Sackett, cousin Hannah Tomline, cousin James Taddy, 20/- each within 3 months after my decease.
Poor of St Johns, 20/-.
Son Richard, residue.
Executors: Richard Sackett & Martha Sackett.
Overseers of will: brother Cornelius Tomline, cousin John Sackett, 40/- each.
Witnesses: John Piers, Ann Emplage, Geo. Witherden.
Children of Richard Sackett and Martha Tomlin
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John in Thanet, Kent, "25 April 1668 Richard s. Richard & Susan Sackett."
- Thanet Obituary (monumental inscriptions), St John's Church, Margate, Kent, stone tomb, "Richard Sackett, yeoman of Northdown, 10 November 1730, aged 62; Martha, ux, 17 December 1747, aged 67; Susanna, their daughter, 3 January 1740, aged 25."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "14 November 1730 Richard Sackett, yeoman, 62."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "4 October 1708 Richard Sackett, yeoman, bachelor & Martha Tomlin, spinster, both of St John in Thanet. At St John, St Lawrence or St Peter in Thanet."
- Marriages Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "17 October 1708 Richard Sackett, bachelor, yeoman, of this parish, & Martha Tomlin, spinster, of this parish. Licence."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "23 December 1747 Martha Sackett, 66."
- Will of Richard Sackett of St John in Thanet, Kent, 28 October 1730, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, April 1731 (National Archives, PROB 11/644).
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Last Edited||2 Mar 2023|