Richard Henry Sackett
|Father||Richard Sackett (1783-1863)|
|Mother||Jane Kemp (c 1785-1851)|
In 1841 Richard was living at Princess Street, Deal, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Richard Sackett, a publican, aged 25 and born in Kent. The other members of his household were his wife Sarah, aged 25 and born in Kent, and his sons, Richard, aged six, and John, aged three.12,13
Richard left his wife Sarah in 1850. On 14 October of that year, Sarah was tried at the Dover quarter sessions accused of "larceny in a dwelling house to the value of £5." The court acquitted her, finding her not guilty. She was named in the record as Sarah Ann Kemp alias Sarah Ann Sackett.14
Records for Richard and Sarah in the 1851 census have not been found but by 1861 he was living at 9 Harrow Cottages, High Street, Stratford, EssexG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a tin plate worker, head of household, married, aged 48, and born in Ramsgate, Kent. Also in the household were his "wife" Mary, aged 40, and born in Epping, Essex, and Mary Webb, a visitor, aged 20. It would appear that his "wife" Mary would be Mary Webb who he was to marry in 1867 and it is conjectured that the other Mary Webb would have been her daughter.15
In 1862 and 1867 Richard Sackett was recorded in Kelly's Directory as a zinc & tin worker, of High Street, Stratford, Essex.16,17 In 1872 he was recorded in Kelly's as a zinc and tin worker of 92 High Street, Stratford.18 It is noted that Sarah described herself as unmarried in 1861, her husband having left her eleven years earlier, but by 1871 she described herself as a widow although Richard, with whom she was presumably not in contact, did not die until the following year, 1872. In 1871 Sarah was still living in Thomas Erridge's household at 123 Middle StreetG and was recorded as Sarah Sackett, a servant (housekeeper), a widow, aged 55, and born in Deal.19
In 1861 Richard's first wife Sarah was living at 123 Middle Street, Deal, KentG, in the household of Thomas Erridge, a boatman, and was recorded as Sarah Sackett, housekeeper, unmarried, aged 48, and born in Deal.20
In 1871 Richard was living at 92 High Street, Stratford, EssexG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a tinman, head of household, married, aged 59, and born in Dover, Kent. Living with him were his "wife" Mary, aged 54, "son" Arthur, a tinman, aged 22, and born in Ramsgate, Kent, and Henry Doe, a boarder. (The "son" Arthur would have been Richard's nephew, Arthur Edward Sackett, son of Robert George and Judith (Fegen) Sackett).21
Both of Richard's wives had to resort to the charity of the workhouse in their later years, Sarah in Eastry, Kent, and Mary in Leyton, Essex.
The 1881 census shows that Mary was then an inmate at the West Ham Union & School, Leyton, EssexG. She was recorded as Mary Sackett, inmate, a widow aged 62 and born in Epping, Essex.22
In the same year Sarah was living at the Union Workhouse, EastryG, and was recorded as Sarah Sackett, inmate, a widow aged 71 and born in Deal, Kent. (Although the stated age of 71 is at variance with other references which suggest she would have been 65 or perhaps 68, the place of residence and the birth place both support a conclusion that this would have been Sarah the widow of Richard).23
Children of Richard Henry Sackett and Sarah Ann Kemp
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notable Sacketts timeline
Notes & Citations
- This article appeared first in The Sackett Family Association Newsletter in April 2005.
- Baptisms Register, St Leonard's, Deal, Kent (Transcript), "14 March 1813 Richard Henry Sacket s. Richard & Jane, Union Row. Father's occ: pilot."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1872. Sackett, Richard, 59. West Ham."
- Burials register, West Ham Cemetery, Essex (deceasedonline.com), "10 July 1872, Richard Henry Sackett."
- Marriages Register, Sholden, Kent (Mrs Nichol's Index), "25 December 1835 Richard Henry Sackett, bachelor, of St Alphege, Cant., & Sarah Ann Kemp, spinster [made mark]. Witnesses: Rd. Geo. Sackett, Rd. Sladden." [Rd. Geo. Sackett was probably Richard's brother Robert George Sackett.]
- Date of birth based on age 25 in 1841 census record, age 55 in 1871 census, and age 73 at death in 1889. Place of birth from census records.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1889. Sackett, Sarah, 73. Eastry."
- Marriages Register, St Leonard's, Shoreditch, Middlesex, "5 August 1867 Richard Henry Sackett, 52, widower, tinman, father Richard Sackett, pilot, & Mary Webb, 47, spinster, cook, father Richard Webb, labourer, both of 17 Boundary Street. Banns. Witnesses: James Boushall, Ann Boushall."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1867. Sackett, Richard Henry. Shoreditch. 1c:397."
- Mary's date of birth is variously calculated as c1821 based on her age being stated to be 40 in the 1861 census, c1820 if aged 47 on marriage in 1867, c1817 if aged 54 in 1871 (census), c1819 if aged 62 in 1881 (census), and c1820 if she is correclty identified with the Mary Sackett who died aged 81 in 1901.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1901. Sackett, Mary, 81. W Ham."
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Princess Street, Deal, Kent
Richard Sackett, 25, publican beer house, b. Kent 
Sarah Sackett, 25, b. Kent
Richard Sackett, 6, b. Kent
John Sackett, 3, b. Kent
[Ages of adults rounded down to nearest five years in 1841 census]
HO107; Piece 466; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Deal; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 31; Page: 7; Line: 13; GSU roll: 306861. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1841 Census for England & Wales.
- Website England & Wales Criminal Registers, 1791–1892 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "Kent, Borough of Dover and its Liberties, Quarter Session, 14 October 1850, Sarah Ann Kemp alias Sarah Ann Sackett, larceny on dwelling house to the value of £5, acquitted, not guilty."
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/1854/f56
9 Harrow Cott., High St., Stratford, Essex
Richard Sackett, head, married, 48, tin plate worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Mary Sackett, wife, 40, b. Epping, Essex
Mary Webb, visitor, 20, general servant, b. Epping.
- Kelly's Post Office Directory (London, Suburban, 1862), "High St., Stratford, Essex; Richard Sackett, zinc & tin worker."
- Kelly's Post Office Directory (Essex, 1867), "High St., Stratford, Essex; R Sackett, zinc worker."
- Kelly's Post Office Directory (London, Suburban, 1872), "92 High St., Stratford, Essex; Richard Sackett, zinc & tin worker."
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/?
123 Middle St., Deal, Kent
Thomas Erridge, head, widower, 56, mariner, b. Deal
William Erridge, son, unm., 19, mariner, b. Deal
Sarah Sackett, serv., widow, 55, housekeeper, b. Deal.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?
123 Middle St., Deal, Kent
Thomas Erridge, head, married, 46, boatman, [birthplace blank]
Sarah Sackett, unm., 48, housekeeper, b. Deal.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/1623/f14
92 High Street, Stratford, Essex
Richard Sackett, head, married, 59, tinman, b. Dover, Kent
Mary Sackett, wife, 54, b. Kent?
Arthur Sackett, son, unm., 22, tinman, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Henry Doe, boarder, unm., 16, tinman, b. Mile End, Middlesex.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341415, PRO RG11/1729/95/8
Institution "West Ham Union & School"
Mary Sackett, inmate, widow, 62, b. Epping, Essex.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341236, PRO RG11/0994/116/4
Union Workhouse, Eastry, Kent
Sarah Sackett, inmate, widow, 71, b. Deal, Kent.
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||20 August 2019|