|Father||Richard Sackett (1745/46-1831)|
|Mother||Rebecca Watten (c 1742-1803)|
Richard was not included in the census record of his household in 1841 and was possibly away at sea. His wife, Jane, was living at Middle Row, St Mary, Dover, KentG, and was recorded as Jane Sackett, the wife of a pilot, aged 50+ and born in Kent. The other members of the household were their children, William, 20+, Ann, 20+, Mary, 15+, William, 15+, and a female servant, Sarah Ralph.10
In 1851 he was living at 118 Snargate Street, Dover, KentG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, Cinque Ports pilot, head of household, a widower, aged 65 and born in Westwood, Kent. Living with him were his daughter Sarah Ann aged 20, and his grandson John aged 12.11
In 1861 he was living at 118 Snargate Street, Dover, KentG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a retired pilot, head of household, a widower aged 76 and born at Hearn, Thanet, Kent. Living with him were his widowed daughter Elizabeth and unmarried daughter Sarah, and two 13-year-old nieces.12
Richard made his will in Dover, KentG, on 29 September 1854, naming as beneficiaries his daughters Elizabeth and Sarah to whom left his leasehold house at 118 Snargate Street, Dover, and his personal estate, valued at under £200. The will was proved at Canterbury on 9 November 1863.13
Date: 29 September 1854.
Proved: Canterbury, 9 November 1863.
Source: Somerset House Indexes).
Richard Sackett, pilot, Dover, died 16 Oct 1863 at 118 Snargate St, Dover, Kent.
Personal estate under £200.
Debts, funeral & testamentary expenses to be paid from money from fund allowed by Trinity House for deceased pilots.
Leasehold house 118 Snargate St, Dover, purchased jointly with son-in-law Edward Cock "but the writings are made out in his name alone".
Daughters, Elizabeth Jane Joad & Sarah Ann Sackett, all real & personal property (including half of house), anything to the estate from the fund for the benefit of pilots, in trust to pay debts, then life use & benefit. If either marry or die, then all to remaining daughter. If both marry or die, all property to be sold & money to be divided equally between all sons & daughters as tenants in common, with money due to dead child to pass to her issue.
Executrixes: daughters Elizabeth Jane Joad, widow, & Sarah Ann Sackett, spinster, both of 118 Snargate St.
Witnesses: William Henry Payn, solicitor, Dover, John Walls, his clerk.
Children of Richard Sackett and Jane Kemp
- Elizabeth Jane Sackett b. 1810
- Richard Henry Sackett+ b. 1813, d. 1872
- Robert George Sackett+ b. 1815, d. 1896
- William Watton Sackett b. 1817, d. May 1892
- Sarah Ann Sackett b. 1818, d. 1903
- Mary Serjeant Tomlin Sackett+ b. 1820
- Thomas William Seargent Sackett b. 1824, d. 1875
- John Kemp Sackett b. 1826, d. Oct 1837
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "25 December 1783 Richard s. Richard & Rebecca Sackett, bn 1 December."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1863. Sackett, Richard, 79. Dover. 2a:482."
- Burials Register, St Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent, "21 October 1863 Richard Sackett, Snargate St., 80 years."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "17 July 1809 Richard Sackett of St Peter Thanet, mariner, bachelor & Jane Kemp of Deal, spinster. At Deal."
- Marriages Register, St Leonard's, Deal, Kent (Transcript), "17 July 1809 Richard Sackett, bachelor, of St Peter, Thanet, [signed] & Jane Kemp, spinster, of this parish [made mark]. Licence. Witnesses: Edw. Foreman, B Long."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Mrs Nichol's Index, Cowgate Cemetery, Dover, Kent, sandstone headstone badly worn at bottom, "Sacred to the memory of John Kemp Sackett. Youngest son of Mr Richard Sackett pilot, aged 11 years & 9 months. He was a dutiful & affectionate child, & beloved by all who had the pleasure of knowing him. Prepare thyself to meet thy God. Also Jane wife of the above named (Richard) Sackett, who after a long affliction departed this life 25 Jan 1851. She was an . . . wife . . . tender mother & was . . . by her friends. (aged 66)."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1851. Sackett, Jane, 65. Dover. 5:75."
- Burials Register, St Mary the Virgin, Dover, Kent, "1 February 1851 Jane Sackett, Snargate St., 66 years."
- 1841 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Middle Row, St Mary, Dover, Kent
Jane Sackett, 50, wife of pilot, b. Kent
William Sackett, 20, mariner, b. Kent
Ann Sackett, 20, b. Kent
Mary Sackett, 15, b. Kent
William Sackett, 15, b. Kent
Sarah Ralph, 20, FS, b. Kent
HO107; Piece 494; Book: 12; Civil Parish: St Mary; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 12; Page: 18; Line: 21; GSU roll: 306885; [indexed as Packett]. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, "118 Snargate St., St Mary, Dover
Richard Sackett, head, widower, 65, Cinque Ports pilot, b. Kent, Westwood
Sarah Ann Sackett, dau, unmarried, 20, b. Kent, Ramsgate
John Sackett, gson, 12, scholar, b. Kent, Dover."
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?/f143
118 Snargate St., Dover (St Mary), Kent
Richard Sackett, head, widower, 76, superannuated pilot, b. Thanet, Hearn
Elizabeth Joade, dau, widow, 47, tobacconist, b. Kent, Deal
Sarah Sackett, dau, unmarried, 30, dressmaker, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Emily Collard, niece, 13, scholar, b. Kent, Alkham
Emily Cox, niece, 13, scholar, b. Kent, Dover
Phillip Handcock, visitor, unmarried, 23, printer compositor, b. Devon, Plymouth.
- Will of Richard Sackett of St John's, Margate, Kent, 29 September 1854, proved in Canterbury, 9 November 1863 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown reference).
|Last Edited||24 September 2019|