Hon Jehial Sackett
|Father||Samuel Sackett (1747-1816)|
Jehiel was taxed on his house and farm in Stanford, Dutchess CountyG, in the years 1799 to 1803.5
In 1800, 1810, 1820, and 1830 Jehiel was listed in the census as a householder in Stanford, Dutchess County, New York StateG.6,7,8,9
Jehial was named in his father's will made in StanfordG on 1 April 1812. He was to inherit a sum of $1,000, to be received after his mother's death. He and his brother Samuel Jr were appointed executors of the will, which was proved in Poughkeepsie on 3 September 1816.10
Jehial's widow Samantha made her will at StanfordG on 2 October 1844. Probate was granted by the Dutchess County Surrogate's Office on 7 May 1845 to her sons Artemus and Phineas, executors of the will. Of her eleven surviving children (Cornelia, her eldest child, had died in 1826), all were named in the will except for Niram, who had removed in 1829 to Chautauqua County in the far west of New York State.10
Date: 2 Oct 1844.
Proved: Dutchess County Surrogate's Office, Poughkeepsie, NY, 7 May 1845.
Beneficiaries:3 daughters, Sally wife of George Guernsey, Tamena wife of Ezekiel Guernsey, & Samantha E wife of Smith Tompkins, to share all household furniture & wearing apparel.
Son John O Sackett, a note held against George Guernsey for about $60 plus interest.
Daughter Samantha, a note held against Stephen Sackett for about $112 plus interest.
Son Samuel J Sackett, one of best cows.
Sons Asa A Sackett & Isaac H Sackett, to share remainder of stock & farming utensils.
Sons Asa A & Isaac H, half each of real estate, Isaac's half share subject to reversion to John T Sackett, Asa A Sackett, & Samantha Tompkins.
Executors: Artemus E Sackett & Phineas K Sackett.
Witnesses: John Thompson, Harriet E Bullis.
Children of Hon Jehial Sackett and Samantha Knapp
- Cornelia Sackett b. 19 Jun 1792
- Stephen Sackett+ b. 26 Jan 1794, d. 1871
- Sally Sackett b. say 1795
- Colonel Niram Sackett+ b. 31 Oct 1797, d. 22 Oct 1869
- Artemus E Sackett+ b. 12 Dec 1799, d. 5 Sep 1887
- Tamena Sackett b. 28 Nov 1801
- Phineas K Sackett+ b. 20 Nov 1803, d. 23 Sep 1888
- Samuel J Sackett+ b. 25 Apr 1806, d. c 1880
- John Thompson Sackett+ b. 27 Nov 1808, d. 3 Feb 1882
- Isaac H Sackett+ b. 28 Nov 1810
- Asa Alling Sackett+ b. 6 Jan 1813
- Samantha Sackett b. 20 Apr 1816
730. Hon. Jehial Sackett, 1768–1832, of Stamford, Dutchess County, N. Y., son of (280) Samuel and Thankful Wood Sackett, was married to Semantha Knapp, 1773–___, daughter of Phineas Knapp. Jehial Sackett was a life-long and highly respected resident of Dutchess County. He took an intelligent interest in public affairs. In 1805 and for several years thereafter he was Superintendent of the Poor. In 1816 and 1817 he represented the town of Bangall in the County Board of Supervisors, and in 1818 was a member of the Lower House of the State Legislature.
1751. Stephen Sackett, b. Jan. 26, 1794, d. in 1871; m. Rachel Barton.
1752. Sally Sackett, b. Nov. 2; m. George Guernsey.
1753. Niram Sackett, b. Oct. 31, 1797, d. Oct. 22, 1869; m. Catherine Thorn.
1754. Artemus E. Sackett, b. Dec. 12, 1799; m. Laura Hoffman.
1755. Tamena Sackett, b. Nov. 28, 1801; m. Ezekiel B. Guernsey.
1756. Phineas Sackett, b. Nov. 20, 1803; m. Eunice Guernsey.
1757. Samuel J. Sackett, b. Apr. 25, 1806; m. ___ Case.
1758. John T. Sackett, b. Nov. 27, 1808, d. in 1882; m. Maria Guernsey.
1759. Isaac H. Sackett, b. Nov. 28, 1810.
1760. Asa Alling Sackett, b. Jan. 6, 1813; m. Rhoda Green.
1761. Semantha Sackett, b. Apr. 20, 1816; m. Smith Tompkins.
At a very numerous and respectable meeting of the Electors of the Town of Stanford, friendly to the General and State Administrations, convened pursuant to public notice at the house of Stephen Dewel in said Town, on Thursday the 16th day of March, inst. Jehiel Sackett, Esqr. was chosen Chairman, and Silas Germond, Junr. Secretary.
[Passed numerous resolutions relating to a County Convention to be attended by the Chairman, Secretary and four other named electors, resolutions expressing confidence in James Monroe, President of the United States, and in De Witt Clinton, Governor of this State, and a resolution expressing no confidence in late Governor Daniel D Tompkins as a result of his "recent unstable, inconsistent, and selfish conduct" and his "immense defalcation in his accounts".]
Resolved, That the proceedings of this meeting be signed by the Chairman and Secretary, and published in the Newspapers printed in Poughkeepsie.
Jehiel Sackett, Chairman.
Silas Germond, Jun. Secretary.
After the meeting had adjourned and many retired, those remaining, and whose names are hereto annexed, expressed an anxiety to have their names accompany the resolutions, as shewing their entire approbation of the proceedings of the meeting.
Jehiel Sackett, [& 61 others, including] Samuel Sacket.
—Poughkeepsie Journal, Poughkeepsie, New York, 22 Mar 1820, p 3
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "730. Jehial Sackett, b. July 24, 1768, d. in 1822 [sic: 1832]; m. Samantha Knapp."
- Find a Grave, "aged 69 yrs. 8 mos & 10 dys" would appear to be error for 63 yrs.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Find a Grave, "aged 71 yrs 11 mos & 7 dys."
- "New York, Tax Assessment Rolls, 1799–1804" (Ancestry image), Stanford, Dutchess County, NY, 1799, "Sacket, Jehiel, house & farm, real estate $1630, personal estate $258, tax $1.88."; 1800, "Sacket, Jehiel, house & farm, real estate $1630, personal estate $322, total $1952, tax $5.36."; 1801, "Sacket, Jehiel, house & farm, real estate $2888, total $2888, tax $9.62."; 1802, "Sacket, Jehiel, real estate $3000, tax $2.04."; 1803, "Sackett, Jehiel, real estate $3623, total $3623, tax $4.35."
- 1800 United States census, "Jehial Sacket, Stanford, Dutchess County, New York State, 3 males under 10, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 26-44, 2 females under 10, 1 female 26-44, total 8."
- 1810 United States census, "Jehiel Sackett, Stanford, Dutchess County, New York State, 3 males under 10, 2 males 10-15, 1 male 45 and over, 1 female under 10, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 26-44, total 9."
- 1820 United States census, "Jehiel Sackett, Stanford, Dutchess County, New York State, 2 males under 10, 2 males 10-15, 4 males 16-25, 1 male 45 and over, 1 female under 10, 1 female 10-15, 3 females 16-25, 1 female 45 and over, total 15."
- 1830 United States census, "Jehiel Sacket, Stanford, Dutchess County, New York State, 2 males 15-19, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 60-69, 1 female 15-19, 1 female 50-59, 1 free colored male 10-23, total 7."
- "New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659–1999" (Ancestry image).
|Sackett line||2nd great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
Jehial Sackett & Laura Sackett relationship chart
|Last Edited||27 Nov 2023|