Phineas K Sackett
|Father||Hon Jehial Sackett (1768-1822)|
Phineas was appointed as US postmaster for Attlebury, Dutchess CountyG, on 10 May 1842.5
In 1850 Phineas was living in Stanford, Dutchess County, New York StateG, and was recorded in the census as Phineas K Sackett, a farmer, aged 46 and born in New York. Living with him were his wife Eunice, 42, and their children, Antonette, 20, Tamma, 14, Mary, 9, and Eugene, aged five.6
Phineas was an Ensign in the 29th Infantry Regiment, New York Militia, sometime before 1858.7
In 1860 he was living in StanfordG and was recorded as Phenix K [sic] Sackett, a farmer, aged 56. Living with him (but listed only by their initials) were his wife Eunice, 53, and their children, Tamma, 22, Mary, 17, and Eugene, 14. There were also a male farm laborer and a female domestic helper in the household, and a Carrie A Gurnsey, aged 14, presumably related to Eunice.8
Following the introduction of income tax to finance the Civil War, Phineas paid taxes in 1865 of $108.95, comprising income tax of $102.95 calculated at 5% of his income of $2059, and taxes of $3 on two wagons, $1 on a watch, and $2 for owning a piano.9
Phineas was listed in the 1870–71 Dutchess County Business Directory with a farm of 337 acres in the Attlebury PO area (this would have been in the town of Stanford). He was listed in 1876–77 with a farm in Stanford.10
In 1875 he was living in Stanford, Dutchess CountyG, and was recorded as Phineas K Sackett, a farmer, aged 70. Living with him were his wife Eunice, 66, daughter Mary, 34, with her husband Frank Wilbur, 33, and children, Nina, 4, and Mary, aged one, and Phineas's nephew Joseph Sackett, aged 14. There was also a female hired helper in the household.11
In 1880 he was living in Stanford, Dutchess County, New York StateG, in the household of his daughter Mary and son-in-law Frank Wilbur, and was recorded as Phineas K Sackett, a farmer, aged 76 and born in New York. His wife Eunice, 73, was liviing with him.12
Children of Phineas K Sackett and Eunice Guernsey
|Sackett line||3rd great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 1756 |
Thurmon King's Database, 8939
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Website Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com).
- Date of marriage based on birth of first child.
- "US Appointments of US Postmasters, 1832–1971", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Attlebury, Dutchess Co, NY, Phineas K Sackett, 10 May 1842."
- 1850 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, Roll M432_497, p. 211
Stanford, Dutchess, New York
Sackett, Phineas K., 46, m, farmer, b. NY
Sackett, Unice, 42, f, b. NY
Sackett, Annett, 20, f, b. NY
Sackett, Tamma G., 14, f, b. NY
Sackett, Mary B., 9, f, b. NY
Sackett, Ugean R,. 5, m, b. NY
Gale, Jane, 44, f, b. NY
See, Adam L., 19, m, laborer, b. NY
Welch, Michael, 22, m, laborer, b. IRE.
- "New York, Military Service Cards, 1816–1979", digital image, Ancestry.com, Register of Officers whose services terminated prior to 1 Jan 1858, "Sackett, Phineas H, Ensign, 29 Inf Reg't, 20 Brig, 7 Div, NY Militia."
- 1860 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_742; Page: 1116; Family History Library Film: 803742
Stanford, Dutchess County, New York, 29 Sep 1860
Sackett, Phenix K, 56, farmer, real estate $19,000, personal estate $6,150, b. NY
Sackett, E M, 53, f, b. NY
Sackett, T, 22, f, b. NY
Sackett, M, 17, f, b. NY
Sackett, E, 14, m, b. NY
Pelly, Cornelius, 30, farm laborer, b. Ireland
Gale, Jane, 51, domestic, b. NY
Gurnsey, Carrie A, 14, b. NY.
- "US IRS Tax Assessment Lists", digital image, Ancestry.com, New York, 1865, "Sackett Phineas K, of Stanford, income $2059 at 5% tax $102.95, wagon $1, wagon $2, watch $1, piano $2, total $108.95."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, Vail's Dutchess County Business Directory, 1870–71, "Sackett Phineas K. 337 acres, Attlebury P.O."; 1876–77, "Sackett Phineas K. farm 287, w 1, 50, [Attlebury] Stanford."
- 1875 New York state census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Stanford, Dutchess County, New York, 9 Jun 1875
Sackett, Phineas K, 70, b. Dutchess County, farmer
Sackett, Eunice, 66, wife, b. Dutchess County
Wilber, Frank B, 33, son-in-law, b. Dutchess County, farmer
Wilber, Mary B, 34, dau, b. Dutchess County
Sackett, Joseph, nephew, 14, b. Dutchess County
Gale, Jane, 66, hired, b. Dutchess County, housework
Wilber, Nina, 4, gdau, b. Dutchess County
Wilber, Mary, 1 9/12, gdau,, b. Dutchess County.
- 1880 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1254825, NA T9-0825/355B (TEK)
Stanford, Dutchess, New York
Frank B. Wilbur, head, married, 37, b. NY, farmer, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Mary P. Wilbur, wife, 38, b. NY, keeping house, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Nina S. Wilbur, dau, 9, b. NY, at school, father b. NY, mother b. NY
May B. Wilbur, dau, 6, b. NY, at school, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Eva Wilbur, dau, 1, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Phineas K. Sackett, father-in-law, married, 76, b. NY, farmer, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Eunice Sackett, mother-in-law, married, 73, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Joseph Sackett, cousin, single, 21, b. NY, works on farm, father b. NY, mother b. Ireland
Caroline Mastin, other, single, 45, b. NY, servant, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
|Last Edited||3 January 2020|