John Sackett MD
|Father||Captain Richard Sackett (c 1678-1746)|
|Mother||Margery L (___) (Crego) (Wislake) Slade (before 1665-)|
John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Dover, Dutchess County, New York StateG, on 14 December 1744. He was left an equal one-fifth share with his three siblings (or their heirs) and stepbrother of the residue of the estate. He was appointed an executor of the will with his mother and brother Richard.
Children of John Sackett MD and ___ ___
- Ezekiel Sackett+ b. c 1737
- Elisabeth Sackett b. 22 Nov 1742, d. 6 Jun 1808
- Margery Sackett b. c 1743
- Mary Sackett+ b. 7 Apr 1743, d. Sep 1824
- John Sackett+ b. 18 Aug 1747, d. 26 Jul 1805
- Lois Sackett+ b. Mar 1748/49, d. 1814
- Richard Sackett+ b. 1751, d. Sep 1778
- Captain Benjamin Sackett+ b. 1752, d. 28 Jun 1826
- ___ Sackett b. c 1753
- Catherine Sackett b. c 1754
268. John Sackett, M. D., of Dover, Dutchess County, N. Y., and Stephentown in the present County of Rensselaer, both in the state of New York, son of (75) Capt. Richard and Margery Sleade Sackett, is frequently mentioned in early records of Dutchess County in connection with sales of real estate. In a deed given by him to one Moses Harris for 3,497 acres of land that had been a part of his father's estate, he is referred to as "John Sackett of Dover, sole executor and youngest son of Capt. Richard Sackett." In Hunting's "History of Little Nine Partners," a facsimile of his signature is shown. After about 1760 he resided at Stephentown.
716. Benjamin Sackett, b. in 1752, d. in 1826; m. Phebe Davis.
717. Richard Sackett, b. June 1751, d. Sept. 1778; m. Chloe Atherton.
718. Margery Sackett, m. Josiah Beardsley, Jan. 6, 1763.
719. John Sackett, b. Aug. 18, 1747; m. Prudence Atherton.
720. Elizabeth Sackett, b. Nov. 22, 1742, d. June 6, 1808; m. Gen. Caleb Hyde.
721. Mary Sackett, m. Alexander Mackey, Sept. 2, 1760.
722. Catherine Sackett.
723. Lois Sackett, b. Mar. 1749, d. Jan 20. 1770; m. Nathaniel Williams.
724, ___ Sackett; m. ___ Wadsworth.
|Sackett line||Son of Captain Richard Sackett|
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 8226|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Birth date estimated based on John being the younger son but assumed included in 1703 census.
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "268. John Sackett."
- The wife of John Sackett MD has not yet been identified. It has been suggested that she may have been Elisabeth Masten. This was based on records of baptisms in the Dutch Reformed Church, Kingston, Ulster County, NY of Ritsert Sekket on 5 May 1734 and Ezechiel Sekket on 19 Jun 1737, sons of Jan Sekket and Elisabeth Masten.
John Sackett MD is stated by Weygant to have had ten children, among whom were sons Richard born in Jun 1751, and Ezekial for whom he does not record a birth date. A birth date of 1737 for Ezekial would have made him 22 at marriage to Mary Atherton, recorded by Weygant to have taken place in 1759. The discrepancy in Richard's birth/baptism dates would have to be explained by there having been two Richards, the first dying in infancy or childhood before 1751.
There is no other evidence to support a theory that John Sackett and Jan Sekket were the same, nor is there any explanation why John Sackett who, according to Weygant, was living in Dover, Dutchess County, would have had his children baptized in Kingston in the neighboring county of Ulster.
|Last Edited||23 December 2019|