Thomas made his will in HornchurchG on 2 June 1754, naming as beneficiaries his wife Alice, his son Henry, his daughters Elizabeth, Mary, Alice and Sarah, his brother Richard, and his sister Mary. He left his farm at Atbones in Hornchurch to his wife until his surviving son Henry, still a minor, reached twenty-one, when he was to inherit all the land and buildings, together with a sum of £300. He also made substantial financial provision for his wife and daughters.9 The will was proved in the Prerogative Court of CanterburyG on 1 July 1754.
Date: 2 June 1754.
Proved: Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1 July 1754.
Source: National Archives, Kew, PROB 11/810 quire 210).
Testator: Thomas Sackett of Hornchurch, Essex.
Wife Alice, all lands & buildings including tenement called Atbones in Hornchurch, purchased from Mrs Mary Crafts the elder & Mrs Mary Crafts the younger, until son Henry is 21, on condition they pay £15 annually to each of youngest daughters Alice & Sarah until they are 21. When property reverts to Henry, £30, plus £25 annually.
Daughters Mary, Alice, & Sarah, to inherit as tenants in common after death of their mother if Henry dies before 21.
John Tyler, 10 gns.
Brother Richard Sackett 5 gns.
Sister Mary, wife of Thomas Spooner, 5 gns.
Daughter Mary Sackett, £300 at 21, with interest at 5% meanwhile.
Son Henry, £300 at 21.
Daughters Alice & Sarah, £300 each at 21, but their interest to go to brother Henry to help him pay 5% interest to Mary.
Trustees: wife Alice & John Tyler, Gent. of Southend of Hornchurch. Trustees to sell 6 pieces of marshland in Southend of Hornchurch (approx 43 acres) purchased from John Mayhew & the Commissioners of Sewers, to pay debts. Children Henry Sackett, Elizabeth Arnold, Mary, Alice, & Sarah Sackett to share residue of sale equally.
Witnesses: Richd. Wayteth, Aaron Hurrill, J. Walkley.
Children of Thomas Sackett and Alice Harper
|Charts||Line 6 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Date of birth based on age at marriage.
- Will dated 2 June 1754, proved 1 July 1754.
- Church Records, Monumental Inscriptions, St Andrew's, Hornchurch, Essex, "To The Memory of/Mr. Thomas Sackett/of this parish/died June/1754 also children/also Mr. Richard Sackett/brother of the above/died April 17th 1758/aged 62 years."
- Burials Register, St Andrew's, Hornchurch, Essex, "Sacket, Thomas, yeoman, 10 Jun 1754."
- Burials Register, St Andrew's, Hornchurch, Essex, "Sackett, Thomas, 58, d. _ Jun 1754."
- Marriage Licence 3 September 1730: Thomas Sackitt bach., 29, of Hornchurch, & Alice Harper spin., 21+, of Gt. Warley, Ssx, at Trinity Minories. [Bishop of London's Registry].
- Marriages Register, Holy Trinity Minories (image on Ancestry.co.uk), "1730 Thomas Sackett of the Parish of Hornchurch in the County of Essex Bat & Alice Harper of Warby Magna in the same County Spin was married the 3rd Sept."
- Burials Register, St Andrew's, Hornchurch, Essex, "Sacket, Alice, widow, 4 Oct 1771."
- Will of Thomas Sackett of Hornchurch, Essex, 2 June 1754, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1 July 1754 (National Archives, PROB 11/810 quire 210).
|Last Edited||27 December 2019|