|Father||Richard Sackett (1626-1692)|
|Mother||Susan Tomlin (-1704)|
Tragedy struck the family of Peter and Anna Sackett in 1712 when four of their children died. Richard aged 15, Susannah, 10, Anne, 8, and Peter, aged six, were buried within a week of each other in August of that year. The family is recorded on a stone tomb at St John's Church in Thanet.2
Peter made his will in St John in ThanetG on 24 April 1739, naming as beneficiaries his wife Anna, his son John, and his daughters Mary, Hannah and Martha. He left his house and land in St John in Thanet, and lands in Swalecliffe and Whitstable, to his wife Anne for life. His daughters, Mary, Hannah, and Martha, were to receive £100 each one year after their mother's death. The residue of the estate was to go to his son John, together with the house and lands after his mother's death. John was also appointed executor. The will was proved at the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury on 13 June 1741.7
Date: 24 April 1739.
Proved: Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 13 June 1741, by John Sackett.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-91-29.
Testator: Peter Sackett, yeoman, St John in Thanet.
Wife Anne, messuage, & lands in Swalecliffe & Whitstable for life.
Daughters, Mary, wife of Thomas Baker; Hannah, wife of Thomas Wood; Martha, wife of Vincent Underdowne, £100 each to be paid 1 year after death of wife Anne, plus £10 each for funeral clothes.
Son John, residue plus reversion of messuage & lands.
Executor: son John.
Children of Peter Sackett and Anna Kennett
- Mary Sackett+ b. 2 Aug 1695
- Richard Sackett b. 4 Jun 1697, d. Aug 1712
- John Sackett b. 23 Apr 1699, d. Sep 1766
- Susannah Sackett b. 7 May 1702, d. Aug 1712
- Anne Sackett b. 19 Jan 1703/4, d. Aug 1712
- Peter Sackett b. 22 Feb 1705/6, d. Aug 1712
- Hannah Sackett+ b. 3 Feb 1709/10, d. Feb 1799
- Martha Sackett+ b. 23 Apr 1712, d. Aug 1766
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John in Thanet, Kent, "3 April 1666 Peter s. Richard & Susan Sackett."
- Thanet Obituary (monumental inscriptions), St John's Church, Margate, Kent, stone tomb, "Peter Sackett, gent., aged 75; Ann, ux, aged 75; four children, ob. infants; John, their son, aged 67."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "15 March 1740/41 Peter Sackett yeoman, 74."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "31 October 1694 Peter Sackett, maltster & Ann Kennett, spinster, both of St John in Thanet. At same or St George or St Mildred Canterbury."
- Marriages Register, St George's, Canterbury, Kent (Transcript), "1 November 1694 Peter Sackett & Anna Kennett. Both of St John in Thanet. Licence."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "20 October 1747 Ann Sackett, widow, 76."
- Will of Peter Sackett of St John in Thanet, Kent, 24 April 1739, proved at Canterbury Archdeaconry Court, 13 June 1741 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-91-29).
|Appears in||Sackett snippets|
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Last Edited||21 Oct 2019|