Amos Mead Sackett
|Father||Justus Sackett (1777-1854)|
|Mother||Clarissa Belcher (1783-1844)|
Amos was listed in New York City directories in 1838 to 1840, with premises at Water Street, ManhattanG, where he was in business with his brother Elisha.7,8
Amos was listed in the 1840 census as a householder in New York CityG.9
In 1850 he was living in New York CityG and was recorded as Amos M Sackett, a merchant, aged 38 and born in Connecticut. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 35, and their children, Hannah, 14, States, 10, Charles, 8, and Julia, aged one.10
Amos was listed in the New York City Directory in 1857 as a grocer with three business premises. In 1868 he was listed as a merchant and in 1870 (by which date he had died) as a tea (merchant). His widow Sarah was listed in 1872.11
Amos was described on his death record as a tea broker.3
Amos's widow Sarah made a will in New York CityG on 18 June 1889. She appointed her son States trustee of all her estate, the income of which was to be used for the maintenance of her invalid son Howard during his lifetime. After Howard's death, the estate was to be shared among her children, States receiving $5,000 or 5/18ths of the estate, and her other children, Hannah, Charles, Julia, Lydia, and Adeline, each receiving a 1/5th share of the remainder. Unusually the will stated an estimate of the value of the estate—$18,000—presumably to establish a context for the bequest to States. Although the wording is ambiguous, it was probably intended that the sum of $5,000 be a minimum amount, with upward adjustment on the assumption that the estate would increase in value, so that States' share would be approximately double that of each of his siblings. The will was proved at the New York City Surrogate's Court on 7 October 1897.12
Date: 18 Jun 1889.
Proved: Surrogate's Court, New York City, 7 Oct 1897.
Testator: Sarah E Sackett, widow of New York City.
Son States Mead Sackett in trust, all real estate with income used for benefit of invalid son Howard Mortimer Sackett.
After death of Howard:
Son States Mead Sackett, $5,000 or 5/18ths of total estate.
Other children, Hannah Caroline Harper, Charles Edgar Sackett, Julia Sackett Chesebro, Lydia Amelia Muir, Adeline Sackett Morgan, 1/5th each of residue after States' share.
Executor: States Mead Sackett.
Witnesses: Foster Debevoise, Arthur P Baldwin.
2215. Amos Mead Sackett, 1812–1870, of Greenwich, Conn., and New York City, son of (830) Justus and Clarissa Belcher Sackett, was married in New York City, Aug. 31, 1834, to Sarah Elisabeth Adeline Mead, 1806-1892, daughter of States Morris Mead and his wife Lydia Holmes.
4848. Josephine Sackett, b. Feb. 9, 1838, d. Aug. 9, 1839.
4849. States Mead Sackett, b. Apr. 10, 1840; m. Harriet L. Palmer.
4850. Charles Edgar Sackett, b. Dec. 8, 1841; m. Catherine B. Wilson.
4851. Frederick Hamilton Sackett, b. Oct. 8, 1843, d. July 30, 1844.
4852. Lydia Mead Sackett, b. Apr. 15, 1847, d. Sept. 28, 1849.
4853. Julia Belcher Sackett, b. July 28, 1849; m. Luke B. Chesbro.
4854. Howard Mortimer Sackett, b. Sept. 21, 1851, d. Mar. 5, 1901.
4855. Lydia Amelia Sackett, b. Apr. 1, 1853; m. Joseph Muir.
4856. Clara Belcher Sackett, b. June 11, 1858, d. May 3, 1859.
4857. Adeline Mead Sackett, b. Oct. 22, 1860; m. Major R. Morgan.
Children of Amos Mead Sackett and Sarah Elisabeth Adeline Mead
- Hannah Caroline Sackett+ b. 5 May 1836
- Josephine Sackett b. 9 Feb 1838, d. 9 Aug 1839
- States Mead Sackett+ b. 10 Apr 1840
- Charles Edgar Sackett+ b. 8 Dec 1841
- Frederick Hamilton Sackett b. 8 Oct 1843, d. 30 Jul 1844
- Lydia Mead Sackett b. 15 Apr 1847, d. 28 Sep 1848
- Julia Belcher Sackett+ b. 28 Jul 1849
- Howard Mortimer Sackett b. 21 Sep 1851, d. 5 Mar 1901
- Lydia Amelia Sackett b. 1 Apr 1853
- Clara Belcher Sackett b. 11 Jun 1858, d. 3 May 1859
- Adeline Mead Sackett b. 22 Oct 1860
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "2215. Amos Meade Sackett, b. Dec. 29, 1812, d. in May 1869; m. Sarah E. A. Mead."
- Church Records, Greenwich, Connecticut, baptism, Second Congregational Church, 1815 "Sackett, Elisha Belcher, Justus Ralph, Mary, William Henry, Clarissa, Amos Mead, and Alice Belcher, children of Justus and Clarissa Sackett, Sept. 10."
- "New York, U.S. Census Mortality Schedules, 1850–1880", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sacket, Amos M, 57, married, d. New York, NY, May 1869, tea broker, cause apoplexy, b. CT."
- Website Find A Grave.
- "New York, New York, Death Index, 1892–1902", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Sarah E, d. Manhattan, New York, 20 Aug 1892, age 75."
- "Manhattan New York City Directory: 1839-40", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Amos M, 33 Water, h Seventh N Avenue 1st."
- "Longworth's American almanack, New-York register, and city directory", digital image, American Ancestors, 1838, "Sackett Amos M. 35 Water h. 129 Franklin.", "Sackett & Brothers, merchants 35 Water."; 1840, "Sackett Amos M. 9 Water h. 78 Seventh n. Av. 1st.", "Sackett & Brothers, merchants 9 Water."
- 1840 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Amos Sackett, New York Ward 17, New York State."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 556, p 360a
New York Ward 17, New York, New York
Sackett, Amos M, 38, merchant, b. CT
Sackett, Sarah E, 35, b. NY
Sackett, Hannah C, 14, b. NY
Sackett, States M, 10, b. NY
Sackett, Charles E, 8, b. NY
Sackett, Julia B, 1, b. NY.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, New York, New York, City Directory, 1857, "Sackett Amos M. grocer, 26 Pearl, 2 Water & 38 Whitehall, h 200 Fifth av."; 1868, "Sackett Amos M. mer. h E. 125th n Fourth av."; 1870, "Sackett Amos M. tea, 98 Wall, h 65 E. 125th."; 1872, "Sackett Sarah E. wid. Amos M. h 55 E. 125th."
- "New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659–1999", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 6580|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||25 Nov 2020|