Charles Edgar Sackett
|Father||Amos Mead Sackett (1812-1869)|
|Mother||Sarah Elisabeth Adeline Mead (c 1817-1892)|
Charles's namesake Charles Edgar Sackett, son of John Sackett and Cornelia Olmstead, was a first cousin once removed.
In 1850 Charles was living in New York CityG in the household of his parents Amos and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Charles E Sackett, aged eight and born in New York.6
In 1860 he was living in New York CityG in the household of his parents Amos and Sarah, and was recorded as Charles E Sackett, a clerk, aged 17.7
In 1870 he was living in Albany, New York StateG, and was recorded as Charles E Sacket, an architect, aged 28. Living with him were his wife Caroline, 26, and their children, Hope, 6, and May, aged one month.8
In 1880 he was living in Wayne, Mifflin County, PennsylvaniaG, and was recorded as Charles Sackett, an iron master, head of household, aged 38. Living with him were his wife Caroline, 36, and their children, Hope, 17, and May, aged ten. There was also a female domestic servant in the household.9
Charles was named as a beneficiary in the will of his mother Sarah made in New York CityG on 18 June 1889. The income of the estate was to be used initially for the maintenance of Charles's invalid brother Howard. After Howard's death, he was to receive an equal share with his siblings of the residue of the estate after payment of a larger share, effectively a double share, to his brother States.10
Charles was listed in the DanburyG City Directory from 1889 to his death in 1927.3
Charles, then a manufacturer of DanburyG, obtained a US passport on 4 June 1897.11
In 1900 he was living at Library Place, Danbury, Fairfield County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded as Charles Sackett, a patent lawyer, head of household, aged 59. Living with him were his wife Caroline, 56, and their children, Hope, 37, and May, aged 30.12
Charles was granted a patent in FranceG on 21 April 1904 for a self-threading shuttle for looms, with automatic chain stop and advanced yarn control and flow.13
Charles served as an Inspector in the Quartermaster's Department in 1905. He was appointed in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and employed at Schuylkill Arsenal, Pennsylvania.14
In 1920 Charles was living at St Allana Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PennsylvaniaG, in the household of William Walker, and was recorded in the census as Charles Sackett, inspector at the Arsenal, a boarder, a widower, aged 78.15
4850. Charles Edgar Sackett, 1841–, of Danbury, Conn., son of (2215) Amos M. and Sarah E. A. Mead Sackett, was married, Oct. 23, 1862, at Danbury, Conn., to Caroline Ball Wilson, daughter of John R. Wilson and his wife Caroline Ball.
8377. Mary Belcher Sackett.
Children of Charles Edgar Sackett and Caroline Ball Wilson
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "4850. Charles Edgar Sackett, b. Dec. 8, 1841; m. Catherine B. Wilson."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Danbury City Directory, 1889, 1890, "Sackett Charles E, manager W.A. & A.M. White, h 15 Terrace pl."; 1891–1927, "Sackett Charles E h 15 Terrace pl."; 1928, "Sackett Charles E died Mar 20 1927 age 85."
- Find a Grave, age 85, late residence Danbury CT, no headstone.
- Find a Grave.
- 1850 United States census
Roll 556, p 360a
New York Ward 17, New York, New York
Sackett, Amos M, 38, merchant, b. CT
Sackett, Sarah E, 35, b. NY
Sackett, Hannah C, 14, b. NY
Sackett, States M, 10, b. NY
Sackett, Charles E, 8, b. NY
Sackett, Julia B, 1, b. NY.
- 1860 United States census
Roll M653_813, p 511, FHL film 803813
New York Ward 18 District 4, New York, New York
Sackett, A M, 47, m, merchant, real estate $10000, personal estate $4000, b. CT
Sackett, S A, 44, f, b. NY
Sackett, Stus? [sic], 17, m, clerk, b. NY
Sackett, Charles E, 17, clerk, b. NY
Sackett, Jewlia B [sic], 10, b. NY
Sackett, Howard, 8, b. NY
Sackett, M L, 7, f, b. NY
Cavanagh, Ann, 25, servant, b. Ireland
McKawn, Rosey, 22, servant, b. Ireland
Farrell, Margret, 20, servant, b. Ireland
Markey, Elizabeth, 28, servant, b. Ireland
Maid, Silas M, 70, gent, b. CT
Maid, Ann H, 64, b. CT.
- 1870 United States census
Roll M593_900, p 16B, FHL film, 23 Jun 1870
Albany Ward 10, Albany, New York
Sacket, Charles E, 28, architect, b. NY
Sacket, Caroline B, 26, b. NY
Sacket, Hope, 6, b. NY
Sacket, May, 1/12, b. NY, b. Apr.
- 1880 United States census
Roll 1156, p 192D, Enumeration District 179
Wayne, Mifflin, Pennsylvania, 4 Jun 1880
Sackett, Charles, head, 38, iron master, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sackett, Caroline, wife, 36, keeping house, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NJ
Sackett, Hope, daughter, 17, at home, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ
Sackett, May, daughter, 10, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ
Yapple, Anna, servant, single, 16, b. PA, housekeeper, father b. PA, mother b. PA.
- "New York, Wills and Probate Records, 1659–1999" (Ancestry image).
- "US Passport Applications, 1795–1925" (Ancestry image), "Charles Edgar Sackett, b. New York, NY, 8 Dec 1841, residence Danbury, Conn, occ. manufacturer. Sworn 3 Jun 1897. Age 56, ht 5' 3¼", forehead high, eyes blue, nose broad, mouth regular, grey moustache, chin round, hair brown & gray mixed, complexion fair, face small. Issued 4 Jun 1897."
- 1900 United States census
Page 6, Enumeration District 0053, FHL microfilm
Library Place, Danbury, Fairfield, Connecticut, 6 Jun 1900
Sackett, Charles, head, b. Dec 1840, 59, m. 38y, patent lawyer, b. NY, father b. CT, mother b. NY
Sackett, Caroline B, wife, b. Feb 1844, 56, m. 38y, 2 ch, both living, b. NJ, father b. NY, mother b. NJ
Sackett, Hope W, daughter, b. Aug 1862, 37, single, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ
Sackett, May B, daughter, b. May 1870, 30, single, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NJ.
- "International Patents, 1890-2020" (Ancestry transcript), "Charles Edgar Sackett, USA, patent country France, patent date 21 Apr 1904, published 8 Sep 1904, description Navette self-enfileuse pour métiers à tisser, avec arrete-chaine automatique et avec commande et débit perfectionnés du fil."
- "U.S., Register of Civil, Military, and Naval Service, 1863-1959" (Ancestry image), War Department, Quartermaster's Department at Large, 1905, "C E Sackett, Inspector, b. New York, appointed Fairfield County, Conn, 4th cong. district, employed at Schuylkill Arsenal, Pa, compensation $1,500."
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_1634, p 11A, Enumeration District 990
St Allana Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, 12 Jan 1920
Sackett, Charles, boarder, 78, wd, inspector, Arsenal, b. NY, father b. CT, mother b. NJ
[In household of William Walker].
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Descendants of Justus Sackett (1777–1854)
|Last Edited||23 Dec 2022|