John Henry Sackett
|Father||John Sackett (1820-1880)|
|Mother||Maria Ann Bate (c 1818-1879)|
In 1861 John was living at Mote Hole, St Peter's, Sandwich, KentG, in the household of his parents John and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as John Henry Sackett, a scholar, aged 10, and born in Canterbury.9
In 1871 he was living at Gillingham, KentG, and was recorded as John Henry Sackett, a private in the 2nd battalion, 23rd Regiment, Royal Welch Fusiliers, unmarried, aged 23 and born in Sandwich, Kent.10 He was discharged from the army on 18 December 1871 after 298 days' service.11
John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in SandwichG on 5 October 1880. He was left a sum of £2,000 less an advance of £100 already paid.12
After John's death, his widow Martha had two daughters, father unknown. Lilian Sackett was born in January 1894 and Maud Sackett in about 1895. Both daughters were taken into care under the Poor Law and were admitted to St Pancras School (a Poor Law school), Leavesden, Hertfordshire, in January 1899, by when Martha was an inmate at the Highgate Infirmary in London. Martha died shortly after, during the first quarter of 1899.13
Children of John Henry Sackett and Martha Jane Gratton
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1848. Sackett, John Henry. Mother: Bate. Eastry. 5:141."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1890. Sackett, John, 43. Pancras."
- Burials register, St Pancras Cemetery, London (deceasedonline.com), "17 June 1890, John Sackett."
- Burials Register, St Pancras Church, Middlesex (Ancestry image), "17 Jun 1890 John Sackett, 43, 8 Redhill St."
- Marriage, Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey (IGI), "15 March 1875 John Henry Sackett, 25, bachelor, cornfactor, & Martha Jane Gratton, 20, spinster, both of F Block, Peabody Square, [both signed]. Licence. Fathers: John Sackett, cornfactor; George Gratton, blacksmith. Witnesses: George Gratton [signed], Agnes Hamilton [signed]."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1875. Sackett, John Henry. St Saviour. 1d:79."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Sep qtr 1856. Gratton, Martha Jane. Mother: Dempsey. Lambeth. 01D:275."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1899. Sackett, Martha Jane, 43. Pancras."
- 1861 England census
Mote Hole, St Peter's, Sandwich, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 46?, corn factor, b. Margate, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, 41, b. Canterbury, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 12, scholar, b. Sandwich
John Henry Sackett, son, 10, scholar, b. Canterbury.
- 1871 England census
RG10, piece 913, folio 19, p. 34, GSU roll 823494
2nd battalion, 23rd Regt, Royal Welch Fusiliers, Gillingham, Kent
John Henry Sackett, private, unm, 23, private soldier of 23rd Reg., b. Kent, Sandwich.
- "British Army Service Records, 1760–1915" (Findmypast image), Sackett, John H., Royal Welch Fusiliers, 23rd Regiment of Foot, discharged 18 Dec 1871, character v good, service 298 days.
- Will of John Sackett of Sandwich, Kent, 6 February1880, proved in Canterbury, 5 October 1880 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown repository reference).
- "London, England, Poor Law School District Registers, 1852-1918" (Ancestry image), St Pancras Schools at Leavesden, admissions, half year ending Lady Day [25 Mar] 1899, "Sackett, Lilian, 5, b. 1896 [sic], Protestant, class 4, number affixed to child's clothes: 624, order dated 4 Jan, mother Martha in Highgate Infirmary."; "Sackett, Maud, 4, b. 1895, Protestant, class 4, number affixed to child's clothes: 754, order dated 4 Jan, mother Martha in Highgate Infirmary."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||6 Aug 2022|