George Ernest Sackett
|Father||John Henry Sackett (1848-1890)|
|Mother||Martha Jane Gratton (1856-1899)|
In 1891 George was living at St Pancras School, Leavesden, HertfordshireG, and was recorded in the census as George Sackett, an inmate, aged three and born in Islington, London.8 Also in the home were Ernest Sackett, 5, and John Sackett, aged one, who were probably related.
St Pancras School was a home and school for orphans and pauper children. It could take up to 400 boys and 250 girls. The boys were educated with a view to their becoming apprentices, many going into the army or navy as musicians. The girls were usually sent into domestic service.
George completed a United States World War I draft registration card in Baltimore, Maryland, on 20 September 1918. He was then aged 27 and was a cook on the SS Port Augusta. His home addess was 3 Tremeyrick Street, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, WalesG.9
In 1921 George, aged 31, was a cook and crew member of the Trinity House ship Vestal at Trinity Wharf, Neyland, PembrokeshireG.10
Child of George Ernest Sackett and Amelia Rebecca Butler
- Norma D Sackett b. 1923
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Dec qtr 1888. Sackett, George Ernest. Mother: Gratton. Pancras. 1b:24."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Mar qtr 1961. Sackett, George E, 72. Pembroke. 8c:497."
- Burials Register, St John, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire (Findmypast image), "15 Mar 1961 George Ernest Sackett, 34A Laws Street, Pembroke Dock, 73 years."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1920. Sackett, George. Spouse: Butler. Pembroke. 11a:2322."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1920. Butler, Amelia. Spouse: Sackett. Pembroke. 11a:2322."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Sep qtr 1892. Butler, Amelia Rebecca. Pembroke. 11a:1075."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Jun qtr 1978. Sackett, Amelia Rebecca, b. 8 June 1892. Pembroke. 24:2394."
- 1891 England census
RG12, piece 1120, folio 101, p. 28, GSU roll 6096230
St Pancras School, Leavesden, Hertfordshire
Ernest Sackett, inmate, 5, b. London, Islington
George Sackett, inmate, 3, b. London, Islington
John Sackett, inmate, 1, b. London, St Pancras.
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918" (Ancestry image), Maryland, Baltimore. Roll 1654045; Draft Board 2.
"Serial 3611, order 2836A, George Sackett, of 3 Tremeyrick St, Pembroke Dock, S Wales, age 27, b. 18 Dec 1891, white, non-declarant alien, citizen of Great Britain, cook, emplr C & D Line, SS Port Augusta, nok Mary Sackett, 3 Tremeyrick St. Registrant of tall ht, med build, blue eyes, brown hair, no disabilities. Reg Baltimore, Maryland, 20 Sep 1918."
- 1921 England census
Ship Vestal, Trinity House steamer, Neyland, Pembrokeshire
George Ernest Sackett, crew, 31y 6m, married, b. London, cook, Trinity House Corporation, Trinity Wharf, Neyland, Pembrokeshire.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||7 Mar 2023|