|Father||Henry Sackett (1776-1846)|
|Mother||Mary Brasier (1784-1841)|
In 1841 John was living at Cattle Market, St Peter's, Sandwich, KentG, and was recorded in the census as John Sacket, a publican, aged 25 [rounded down] and born in Kent. Living with him was his wife Maria, 20, also born in Kent.8
In 1861 John was living at Mote Hole, St Peter's, Sandwich, KentG, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, a corn factor, head of household, married, aged 46?, and born in Margate. Living with him were his wife Sarah9, aged 41, and born in Canterbury, and children, Elizabeth (12), and John Henry (10.)10
John's will, made in SandwichG, on 6 February 1880, was proved at Canterbury on 5 October 1880. Named as beneficiaries were his son John, his daughter Elizabeth, and his brother Henry. The value of his personal estate was nearly £5,000. He left his son a sum of £2,000 less an advance of £100 already paid. His daughter was to receive the residue of the estate. He left to his brother an amount of £50. He also made bequests of £50 to his housekeeper, Sarah Gilham, and £40 to his yardsman, John Holmans.11
Children of John Sackett and Maria Ann Bate
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "24 September 1820 John s. Henry & Mary Sackett, Northdown, farmer."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1880. Sackett, John, 61. Eastry."
- Will of John Sackett of Sandwich, Kent, 6 February1880, proved in Canterbury, 5 October 1880 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown repository reference), Will of John Sackett, Sandwich, Kent, cornfactor, died 24 August 1880 at Sandwich. Will & codicil proved Canterbury 5 October 1880. Personal estate under £5,000. Executors: Henry Sackett, Northdown, Thanet, farmer, brother; George Hooper, Moat Sole, Sandwich, cornfactor.
- Marriages Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "2 April 1840 John Sackett bachelor, minor, yeoman, Northdown, father Henry Sackett, yeoman, & Maria Ann Bate spinster, full age, Bath Rd., Margate, father John Bates [no occ. given]. (Banns). Witnesses: Frederick Gilham, Sarah Bate."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1840. Sackett, John. Thanet. 5:503."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1879. Sackett, Maria, 61. Eastry."
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Cattle Market, St Peter's, Sandwich, Kent
John Sacket, 25, publican, b. Kent
Maria Sacket, 20, b. Kent
HO107; Piece 494; Book: 16; Civil Parish: St Peter; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 12; Page: 17; Line: 4; GSU roll: 306885. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- The naming of his wife as Sarah in this census record poses a problem. His wife Maria was living at this date (she died in 1879) and it would seem unlikely that the names Sarah and Maria would have been mistaken. It is noted that John left £50 in his will to his housekeeper, Sarah Gilham, and it would be possible that she was the Sarah of the census, although there is no other evidence to support this.
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?
Mote Hole, St Peter's, Sandwich, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 46?, corn factor, b. Margate, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, 41, b. Canterbury, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 12, scholar, b. Sandwich
John Henry Sackett, son, 10, scholar, b. Canterbury.
- Will of John Sackett of Sandwich, Kent, 6 February1880, proved in Canterbury, 5 October 1880 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown repository reference).
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||25 November 2016|