Samuel Arthur Sackett
|Father||David Alexander Sackett (1821-1895)|
|Mother||Sarah Lawrence (1819-1859)|
In 1850 Samuel was living in Elizabeth, Jo Daviess County, IllinoisG, in the household of his parents David and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Samuel A Sackett, aged nine and born in Illinois.6
In 1860 he was living in Petaluma, Sonoma County, CaliforniaG, in the household of his father David and stepmother Emaline, and was recorded as Samuel Sackett, aged 19 and born in Illinois.7
In 1880 he was living at Blackfoot, Oneida County, IdahoG, and was recorded as Samuel A Sackett, a carpenter, aged 38. Living with him were his wife Mary, 20, and their children, Sarah, 3, and twins David and Daisy, aged seven months.8
In 1910 he was living in Box ElderG and was recorded as Samuel A Sackett, a house carpenter, head of household, aged 68. He owned his home on mortgage. Living with him were his wife Mary, 49, and their sons, Estress, 25, Clarry, 17, Ephraim, 15, Golden, 12, Ervin, 10, and Orrel, aged nine.9
In 1920 he was living at Acad Avenue, Provo, Utah County, UtahG, and was recorded as Samuel A Sackett, head of household, aged 78. Living with him were his wife Mary, 59, their son Oral D, 17, and their divorced daughter Anetta Hudson, 42.10
In 1930 he was living at Iowa Avenue, Salt Lake CityG, and was recorded as Samuel A Sackett, head of household, aged 88. Living with him were his wife Mary, 70, and their son Ervin, 30, and daughter-in-law Althora, 27.11
Salt Lake Telegram, 20 Feb 1932, p. 13
"Samuel Arthur Sackett, 90, retired contractor of Brigham City, who resided at 256 Iowa street, died in a local hospital Saturday at 2 a.m. of bronchial pneumonia.
Mr. Sackett was born in Rockland, Ill., November 22, 1841. He had been a resident of Utah for 60 years and for the last 11 years he had resided in Salt Lake.
Surviving are nine sons and seven daughters: John of Ogden; Estress, Orvil and William Sackett of Brigham City; Ephraim, Harry and Ervin Sackett of Salt Lake and Don Sackett of Park City; and Golden D Sackett of Los Angeles; Mrs Annetta Hudson of Los Angeles; Mrs Elvira Gilbert of Ogden; Mrs Alma Jones of Provo; Mrs Laura Gilbert and Mrs Ella Johnson of Brigham City; Mrs Maude Rock of Salt Lake and Mrs Ruby Okey of Parkway, Wyo; and his widow, Laura Andrea Sackett of Brigham City.
Funeral services will be held in the Brigham City First ward L.D.S. chapel Tuesday at 1 p.m. The body may be viewed in the chapel from noon until 1 p.m. and interment will be in the Brigham City cemetery."
Salt Lake Telegram, 11 Apr 1931, p. 15
Mrs. Mary Sackett, 70, wife of Samuel A. Sackett, died at the family residence, 256 Iowa street, Friday morning of complications following a stroke suffered some time ago. She had resided in Salt Lake since 1922, coming here from Provo. She and Mr. Sackett were married in Brigham City in 1867 [sic: 1876], moving to Provo shortly afterward. Mrs. Sackett was a member of the L.D.S. church Relief society.
Besides her husband, ten of her sixteen children survive: Mrs. Anneta Hudson, Harry, Ephraim, Golden, Ervine and Don Sackett, all of Salt Lake; John L. Sackett of Ogden, Esdrus M. Sackett of Brigham City, Mrs. Alvir Gilbert of Ogden and Mrs. Julia Jones of Provo."
Salt Lake Telegram, 11 Apr 1931, p. 15
Sackett—Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Sackett, who died at her home, 256 Iowa street, April 10, will be held at the Eleventh ward chapel Sunday at 1 p.m., after which the body will be taken to Brigham City, where services will be held at the First ward chapel. Friends may call at the family home, 256 Iowa street, Sunday morning. Interment will take place at the Brigham City cemetery, under the direction of Lindquist Sons-Carlquist company."
—Utah Digital Newspapers.
Children of Samuel Arthur Sackett and Mary Peterson
- Sarah Anneta Sackett b. 15 Sep 1877, d. 21 Mar 1963
- Daisy Alberta Sackett b. 20 Dec 1879, d. 13 Aug 1889
- David Arthur Sackett b. 20 Dec 1879, d. 3 Sep 1881
- John LeRoy Sackett+ b. 16 Jan 1882, d. 29 Jun 1946
- Frank Roy Sackett b. 25 Feb 1883, d. 14 Sep 1889
- Estress Manley Sackett+ b. 15 Oct 1884, d. 8 Mar 1968
- Mary Elvira Sackett b. 9 Oct 1886, d. 8 Dec 1957
- Julia Hortence Sackett b. 30 Aug 1891, d. after 1932
- Harry Lincoln Sackett b. 14 Dec 1892, d. 16 Nov 1966
- Ephraim Anzel Sackett b. 1 Aug 1894, d. 14 Nov 1953
- Kenneth Leo Sackett b. 14 Feb 1896, d. 17 Feb 1896
- George Sackett b. 20 Jan 1897, d. 13 Jan 1976
- Golden Noble Sackett+ b. 10 Dec 1897, d. 13 Jan 1970
- Ervin Alfred Sackett b. 10 Aug 1900
- Oral Don Sackett+ b. 28 Mar 1902, d. 4 Aug 1973
- Edith Bernice Sackett b. 11 Dec 1904, d. 12 Jan 1905
Children of Samuel Arthur Sackett and Laura Andrea Peterson
- Laura Sophia Sackett b. 4 Jan 1884, d. 17 Dec 1972
- Maud Lenora Sackett b. 8 Aug 1887, d. 11 Jun 1973
- Samuel Marcus Sackett b. 28 Mar 1893, d. 16 Mar 1903
- George Menzo Sackett b. 19 Feb 1896, d. 25 Jun 1916
- Orval Ephraim Sackett+ b. 15 Oct 1898, d. 8 Apr 1980
- Ella Cleora Sackett b. 17 Oct 1902, d. 28 Aug 1979
- Ruby Odean Sackett b. 5 Mar 1905, d. 17 Jul 1996
- William Chester Sackett b. 5 Jul 1907, d. 30 Jun 1999
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database, 4186 Samuel Arthur Sackett.
- "Utah, Death and Military Death Certificates, 1904–1961", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Samuel Arthur Sackett, d. at LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, 20 Feb 1932, res. 256 Iowa St, res. SLC 11 yrs, widowed, wife Mary Peterson Sackett, b. Rockland, IL, 22 Nov 1841, age 90-2-18, carpenter & contractor, self-employed, father Samuel Arthur Sackett b. England, mother's name unknown, informant, Erwin A Sackett, 256 Iowa St, cause brochial pneumonia, senility, bur. Brigham City, Utah, 23 Feb 1932."
[Samuel's father was David Alexander Sackett born in Ohio, not Samuel Arthur Sackett born in England]
- Salt Lake Telegram, digital image, Utah Digital Newspapers (http://udn.lib.utah.edu).
- Julia H. Sackett Jones, Samuel Arthur Sackett, Memoirs (, 1932).
- Salt Lake Telegram, digital image, Utah Digital Newspapers (http://udn.lib.utah.edu), 11 Apr 1931, p. 15.
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M432_111, p. 175b, image 356
Elizabeth, Jo Daviess, Illinois
Sackett, David, 29, farmer, real estate $1,900, b. OH
Sackett, Sarah, 28, b. England
Sackett, Samuel A, 9, b. IL
Sackett, Rosetta A, 7, b. IL
Sackett, Heneretta C, 2, b. IL
Irish, Charles, 25?, labourer, b. NY
Cambell, Samuel F, 49?, labourer, b. NJ.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M653_69, p. 586, Image 586, FHL film 803069
Petaluma, Sonoma County, California
D A Sackett, 39, farmer, real estate $5,000, personal estate $4,000, b. OH
Emaline Sackett, 26, b. ME
Saml Sackett, 19, b. IL
Henrietta Sackett, 11, b. IL
Emma Sackett, 9, b. IL
Lusetta Sackett, 6, b. OR
Annett Sackett, 3, b. CA
Eliza McCarty, 22, servt, b. Ireland
Edwin Goodall, 17, b. England.
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 173, FHL Film 1254173, p. 324C, Enumeration District 027, Image 0667
Blackfoot, Oneida County, Idaho, 2 Jun 1880
Sackett, Samuel A, 38, carpenter, b. UT, father b. NY, mother b. Eng
Sackett, Sarah A [enumeration error for Mary], 20, wife, keeping house, b. UT, father b. Denmark, mother b. Denmark
Sackett, Mary [enumeration error for Sarah A], 3, dau, b. UT, father b. UT, mother b. UT
Sackett, David A, 7/12, Dec, son, b. ID, father b. UT, mother b. UT
Sackett, Daisy Alberta, 7/12, Dec, dau, b. ID, father b. UT, mother b. UT.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T624_1602, p. 23A, Enumeration District 0006, FHL microfilm 1375615
Box Elder, Box Elder County, Utah, 22 Apr 1910
Sackett, Samuel A, head, 68, m2. 32y, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. England, carpenter, house, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Mary, wife, 49, m1. 32y, 16ch, 10 living, b. UT, father b. Denmark, mother b. Denmark
Sackett, Estress M, son, 25, single, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, carpenter, house
Sackett, Harry L, son, 17, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, farm laborer, home farm
Sackett, Ephraim A, son, 15, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, farm laborer, home farm
Sackett, Golden N, son, 12, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT
Sackett, Ervin A, son, 10, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT
Sackett, Orrel D, son, 9, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT.
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T625_1868, p. 2B, Enumeration District 209, Image 748
Acad Ave, Provo Ward 5, Utah County, Utah, 3 Jan 1920
Sackett, Samuel A, head, home owned on mortgage, age 78, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. England, occ none
Sackett, Mary, wife, 59, b. UT, father b. Denmark, mother b. Denmark
Sackett, Oral D, son, 17, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, occ none
Hudson, Anetta, dau, 42, divorced, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, dressmaking, at home, own account.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 2420, p. 14A, Enumeration District 0087, Image 675.0, FHL microfilm 2342154
Iowa Ave, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, 14 Apr 1930
Sackett, Samuel A, head, home owned, value $1,800, age 88, m. at 34, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. England, occ none
Sackett, Mary P, wife, 70, m. at 17, b. UT, father b. Denmark, mother b. Denmark
Sackett, Evin A, son, 30, m. at 26, b. UT, father b. IL, mother b. UT, machinist, mines
Sackett, Althora M, dau-in-law, 27, m. at 23, b. UT, father b. UT, mother b. UT.
|See also||Notable Sacketts timeline|
Memoirs of Samuel Arthur Sackett (1841–1932).
|Appears in||Notable Sacketts|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 Oct 2021|