John Ashby Sackett
|Father||John Ashby Sackett (1834-1875)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Sophia Silvester (c 1835-)|
In 1861 John was living at Grafton Street, St Pancras, LondonG, in the household of his parents John and Elizabeth, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, a scholar, aged five and born in St Pancras.11
In 1871 he was living at 19 Chapel Place, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of his parents John and Elizabeth, and was recorded as John Sackett, aged 15 and born in London.12
In 1881 he was living at 3 James Terrace, Folkestone, KentG, and was recorded as John A Sackett, a painter, head of household, married, aged 25 and born in St Pancras, Middlesex. Living with him were his wife Sarah, aged 25 and born in Canterbury, Kent, and their children, Edward, 4, Arthur, 3, and Edith, aged one.13
John has not been found in the 1891 census. His wife Annie was recorded as Annie Sackett, a domestic servant (a cook), married, aged 36 and born in West Malling, Kent. She was living at 26 Bouverie Road West, Folkestone, KentG, as a servant in the household of Charles Miller Layton, a retired soldier.14 There had evidently been a domestic upheaval as John's children had all been re-housed. Four of the children, Edward, 14, and Arthur, 12, by the first marriage, and Harry, 6, and Clara, 5, by the second marriage, were in care at the Cottage Homes for Elham Union at Cheriton, Kent. Of the other children of the first marriage, Edith, 11, was in domestic service in Folkestone, and John, 10, was a lodger in the household of a greengrocer, also in Folkestone.
Children of John Ashby Sackett and Sarah Ann Strood
Children of John Ashby Sackett and Annie Sarah (Skinner) Stuart
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1856. Sackett, John Ashby. Mother: Silvester. Pancras. 1b:35."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1876. Sackett, John Ashby. Thanet. 2a:1333."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1876. Strood, Sarah Ann. Thanet. 2a:1333."
- 1881 England census.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1881. Sackett, Sarah Ann, 25. Elham."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1883. Sackett, John Ashley . Bromley. 2a:610."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1883. Stuart, Annie Sarah. Bromley. 2a:610."
- Marriages Register, St Peter and St Paul, Bromley, Kent (FreeReg transcript), "4 Sep 1883, John Ashby Sackett, 27, widower, of Bromley, painter, father John Ashby Sackett tailor; and Annie Sarah Stuart, 28, widow, of Bromley, father George Skinner builder. Witnesses: William Henry Gilbert, Lizzie Meek."
- 1891 England census.
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index" (Ancestry image), "Jun qtr 1855. Skinner, Anne Sarah. Malling. 2a:319."
- 1861 England census
RG 9, piece 103, folio 10, p. 26, GSU roll 542574
Grafton St East, St Pancras, London
John A Sackett, head, married, 25, billiard marker, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 25, b. Hampton
John Sackett, son, 5, scholar, b. Middsx, St Pancras
Charlotte Sackett, dau, 3, b. Middsx, St Pancras
Eva M Sackett, 1, b. Middsx, St Pancras.
- 1871 England census
19 Chapel Place, Ramsgate, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 34, tailor, b. Ramsgate
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 34, dressmaker, b. Hampton Court
Charlotte Sackett, dau, 13, b. London, Middlesex
John Sackett, son, 15, b. London, Middlesex
Eva Sackett, dau, 11, scholar, b. London, Middlesex
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 9, scholar, b. London, Middlesex
Frank Sackett, son, 2, b. Ramsgate.
- 1881 England census
FHL 1341239, PRO RG11/1008/111/73
3 James Terrace
John A Sackett, head, married, 25, b. St Pancras, Middlesex, painter
Sarah A Sackett, wife, 25, b. Canterbury, Kent
Edward H Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Arthur J Sackett, son, 3, b. Folkestone, Kent
Edith A Sackett, dau, 1, b. Folkestone.
- 1891 England census
26 Bouverie Rd West, Folkestone, Kent
Annie Sackett, serv, married, 36, cook, dom. serv., b. W Malling, Kent
[In household of Charles Miller Layton, retired soldier].
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||13 Sep 2017|