Arthur Ashby Sackett
|Father||John Ashby Sackett (1856-)|
|Mother||Sarah Ann Strood (c 1855-1881)|
In 1881 Arthur was living at 3 James Terrace, FolkestoneG, in the household of his parents John and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Arthur J Sackett, aged three and born in Folkestone.10
In 1891 he was living at Cottage Homes for Elham Union, Cheriton, KentG, and was recorded as Arthur Sackett, inmate, aged 12 and born in Folkestone. Also in the home were his brothers, Edward and Harry, and sister, Clara.11
In 1911 he was living at 22 Abbot's Hill, RamsgateG, and was recorded as Arthur Ashby Sackett, an out of work fisherman, head of household, aged 37 and born in Folkestone. Living with him were his wife Harriet, 47, Harriet's widowed mother Mary Ann Foster Dray, 72, Harriet's daughter Matilda, 16, and Arthur Henry Dray, aged five, a nephew.12 Arthur overstated his age by four years in the census, and appears also to have similarly overstated his age to his wife, who was fourteen years older than him. He died at age 50 but his death record, presumably based on information supplied by hiis widow, gives his age as 55.
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Arthur's widow Harriet was living at 3 Liverpool Terrace, Kingston-upon-Hull, YorkshireG.13
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1878. Sackett, Arthur Ashby. Mother: Strood. Elham. 2a:951."
- Baptisms Register, Folkestone, Kent, "2 February 1880 Arthur Ashby s. John Ashby & Sarah Ann Sackett, 60 Fenchurch Street, painter."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1929. Sackett, Arthur A, 55. Sculcoates."
- Marriages Register, Christ Church, Ramsgate, Kent, "25 September 1901 Arthur Ashby Sackett, 27, bachelor, fisherman, of 3 Flint Cottages, Addington, & Harriet Jane Kember, 34, widow, of 3 Flint Cottages, Addington. Banns. Both signed. Fathers: John Sackett, painter; William Dray, dec'd, fisherman. Witnesses: William Henry Pearson Dray, Jessie Louise Dray."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1901. Sackett, Arthur Ashby. Thanet. 2a:1998."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1864. Dray, Harriet Jane Haywood. Thanet. 2a:707."
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1940. Sackett, Harriett J, 76. Hull."
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341239, PRO RG11/1008/111/73
3 James Terrace
John A Sackett, head, married, 25, b. St Pancras, Middlesex, painter
Sarah A Sackett, wife, 25, b. Canterbury, Kent
Edward H Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Arthur J Sackett, son, 3, b. Folkestone, Kent
Edith A Sackett, dau, 1, b. Folkestone.
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/?
Cottage Homes for Elham Union, Cheriton, Kent
Arthur Sackett, inmate, 12, b. Folkestone, Kent
Edward Sackett, inmate, 14, b. Folkestone
Harry Sackett, inmate, 6, b. Folkestone
Clara Sackett, inmate, 5, b. Folkestone.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 22 Abbott's Hill, Ramsgate, Kent
Arthur Ashby Sackett, head, 37, married, fisherman out of work, b. Folkestone, Kent
Harriet Jane Sackett, wife, 47, m. 9y, no ch, b. Ramsgate
Mary Ann Foster Dray, wife's mother, 72, widow, b. Ramsgate
Matilda Foster Kember, step-dau, 16, domestic, at home, b. Ramsgate
Arthur Henry Dray, nephew, 5, school, b. Ramsgate.
- "1939 Register", digital image, Findmypast, Wilson household, 3 Liverpool Terrace, Kingston-upon-Hull C B, Yorkshire (East Riding): Matilda F Wilson, b. 1895, married, unpaid domestic duties; Harriet J Sackett, b. 16 Mar 1864, widowed, unpaid domestic duties.
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||3 Feb 2018|