|Father||Benjamin Sackett (1762-1844)|
|Mother||Betsey Eldred (c 1761-1819)|
Clark Sacket served in the War of 1812 in a company of Connecticut troops.
Clark was listed in the census in 1820, 1830, and 1840 as a householder in Tallmadge, OhioG.7,8,9
1505. Clark Sacket, 1793–1864, of Warren Conn., and Talmadge, O., son of (655) Benjamin and Betsey Eldred Sacket, was married, May 2, 1816, to Cynthia Preston, who died June 4, 1816. The name of his second wife was Laura M. Aikin, and that of his third wife was Jane M. Pierce. He served in the war of 1812 in a company of Connecticut troops commanded by Capt. Seth Comstock.
3797. Cynthia M. Sacket, d. in 1877; m. Luther Heath.
3798. Amelia Sacket, d. in 1854; m. ___ Chapman.
3799. Edwin Sacket, d. Sept. 1, 1879; m. Susan P. Pierce.
3800. Clark A. Sacket, b. in 1833.
3801. Charles H. Sacket.
3802. Darius P. Sacket.
3803. Benjamin Sacket, d. in 1839.
Clark Sackett, father of Clark A., was born at Warren, Connecticut, in 1793. He was still a young man when he joined a colony of pioneer settlers who came with their possessions to make early settlement and secure homes in Summit County, driving their ox-teams through forests where they had to cut a path. They purchased lands of the great Connecticut Land Company, which, at that time, had control of the lands of a large part of the Western Reserve. Clark Sackett was a true pioneer, accepting all the hardships incident to establishing himself in a new country, and through his industry and sterling virtues, becoming a man of substance and prominence. He lived to advanced age. He first secured 100 acres of land in Tallmadge Township, to which he later added seventy-five acres, lying just west of his first purchase. He put up a log house which stood for a number of years, but was later replaced by the substantial residence which is occupied by his son, Clark A. A portion of the old house Mr. Sackett utilized to house his bees, as he took a great deal of interest in the bee industry for many years. He cleared all his land, and also assisted greatly in promoting the civilizing agencies of this section.
In 1816 Clark Sackett was married (first) to Cynthia Preston. He was married (second) to Laura Aiken, and (third) to Jane Pierce. The mother of Clark A. Sackett, Laura Aiken, was born in 1800, at Norwalk, Connecticut, and was married in the fall of 1822. She was six years old when her father, Asher Aiken, removed to Vernon, Ohio. There were the following children born to Clark and Laura Sackett: Hiram, who died in Tallmadge Township, married (first) Eliza Treat, and (second) Mabel Fenn; Cynthia, who married Luther Heath, is survived by children residing at Genesee, New York, and also a son, Theodore, residing at Cuyahoga Falls; Edwin, residing at Genesee, New York, married Susan Pierce; Amelia, deceased, who married the late Dr. George Chapman, of New York; Benjamin, who died in infancy; Benjamin (2), who died in infancy; Clark A., residing in Tallmadge Township; Charles, who married Flora Treat, and Darius.
—William B Doyle, Centennial history of Summit County, Ohio.
Children of Clark Sackett and Laura Melissa Aiken
- Cynthia Melissa Sackett b. 9 Sep 1822, d. 1877
- Hiram Aikins Sackett+ b. 1 Apr 1824, d. 30 Sep 1895
- Amelia Sackett b. c 1825, d. 4 Mar 1854
- Edwin Sackett+ b. 1 Jan 1827, d. 1 Sep 1879
- Benjamin Sackett b. 1829, d. 27 Jun 1831
- Benjamin Sackett b. 1835, d. 9 Jan 1839
- Clark Augustine Sackett b. 15 May 1837
- Charles Hine Sackett b. c 1839
- Darius Parmalee Sackett+ b. c 1845
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "1505. Clark Sacket, b. Feb. 4, 1793, d. in June, 1864; m. Cynthia Preston."
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886.
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- "Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851–2003", digital image, Ancestry.com, Connecticut Courant, Hartford, 20 August 1816, "Died—At Tallmadge (Ohio) on the 4th of June last, Mrs. Cynthia Sackett, aged 18 years, wife of Mr. Clark Sackett, formerly of this state."
- Website Find A Grave.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- 1820 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Clark Sackett, Tallmadge, Portage County, Ohio."
- 1830 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Clark Sacket, Tallmadge, Portage County, Ohio."
- 1840 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Clark Sackett, Tallmadge, Summit County, Ohio."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 3307|
Bronson, History of Tallmadge
Histories of Summit County, Ohio.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2021|