|Father||William Sackett (1741-1819)|
|Mother||Anne Ansell (c 1739-1833)|
In 1841 Thomas was living at Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded in the census as Thomas Sackett, a carpenter, aged 60+ and born in Kent. Living with him were his wife Mary, also 60+, and children, Mary, 30+, Elizabeth, 20+, and William, 19. Thomas and Mary's son Thomas was living next door.10
In 1851 he was living at Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded as Thomas Sackett, a shipwright, head of household, married, aged 73 and born in St Peter in Thanet. Living with him were his wife Mary, aged 72, born in St Lawrence, their daughter Elizabeth aged 32, and their granddaughter Rachel, aged 10.11 [The parents of the 10-year-old Rachel Sackett have not been identified. A record has not been found in the GRO indexes.]
Thomas made his will in Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, on 14 June 1844, naming as beneficiaries his wife Mary, his sons Thomas, William and George, and his daughters Sarah, Mary and Elizabeth.12 He left all his personal estate (valued at under £100) to his wife Mary, and she was to have the freehold property for life. After her death the property was to be sold and the proceeds divided equally among the children. Thomas stated in his will that his daughter Sarah was to be treated as a daughter in wedlock. Her baptism record gave her mother's name as Sarah, not Mary, although Thomas and Mary had been married for a year before Sarah's birth. The will was proved at Canterbury on 7 August 1858.
In 1861 Thomas's widow Mary was living at Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded in the census as Mary Sackett, head of household, a widow, aged 82, house proprietor. Living with her was her unmarried daughter Elizabeth, aged 42, a shop keeper.13
In 1871 she was living at Sackett Cottages, Hereson, St Lawrence in ThanetG, and was recorded as Mary Sackett, head of household, a widow, aged 92. Her unmarried daughter Elizabeth was living with her.14
Thomas's widow Mary died intestate. Administration of her estate was granted to her daughter Elizabeth on 19 October 1872.15
Date: 14 June 1844.
Proved: Canterbury, 7 August 1858.
Source: Somerset House Indexes.
Testator: Thomas Sackett, of Hereson, St Lawrence, Thanet, Kent, shipwright. Died 30 Aug 1857 at Hereson.
Personal estate under £100.
Wife Mary Sackett, all personal property for her sole use & disposal; freehold property on trust for life.
Children, Sarah Ansel Ratcliff, Thomas Sackett, Mary Sackett, Elizabeth Sackett, William Sackett, George Sackett, or their issue, freehold property to be sold within 1 year of death of wife & proceeds to be divided equally between them. If any die without issue, survivors to share. "Sarah Ansell Ratcliff shall be construed & taken to be daughter in wedlock."
Executors: John Bevis of Ramsgate, Thanet, gent.; George Martin Hinds of Ramsgate, surveyor.
Witnesses: Josh. Blackburn, Edward Philpott.
Child of Thomas Sackett and Sarah ___
- Sarah Ansell Sackett+ b. 21 Jun 1805
Children of Thomas Sackett and Mary Ansell
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Peter in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "25 December 1777 Thomas s. William & Ann Sackett, bn. 9 December."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1857. Sackett, Thomas, 79. Thanet. 2a:401."
- Burials Register, Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Ramsgate, "3 September 1857 Thomas Sackett of Hereson, 79 years, died 30 August 1837."
- Will of Thomas Sackett of Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent, 14 June 1844, proved at Canterbury, 7 August 1858 (Somerset House Indexes), "Thomas Sackett, shipwright, of Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent, died 30 August 1857 at Hereson. Will proved at Canterbury. Personal estate under £100. Executors: John Bevis, Westmarsh, Ash next Sandwich, Gent., & George Martin Hinds, Ramsgate, surveyor."
- Marriages Register, St Lawrence in Thanet, Kent (Tyler transcripts; Society of Genealogists), "17 June 1804 Thomas Sackett bachelor & Mary Ansell spinster."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1872. Sackett, Mary, 93. Thanet."
- Burials Register, Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Ramsgate, "29 February 1872 Mary Sackett of Hereson, 93 years, died 23 February 1872."
- 1841 England census
Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent
Thomas Sackett, 60, carpenter, b. Kent
Mary Sackett, 60, b. Kent
Mary Sackett, 30, b. Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, 20, b. Kent
William Sackett, 19, mason, b. Kent
HO107; Piece 467; Book: 16; Civil Parish: St Lawrence; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 18; Folio: 34; Page: 36; Line: 17; GSU roll: 306862.
- 1851 England census
Hereson, St.Lawrence, Kent
Thomas Sackett, head, married, 73, shipwright, b. Kent, St. Peters
Mary Sackett, wife, 72, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, [marital status blank], 32, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
Rachel Sackett, g-dau, 10, scholar, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
- Will of Thomas Sackett of Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent, 14 June 1844, proved at Canterbury, 7 August 1858 (Somerset House Indexes).
- 1861 England census
"Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent
Mary Sackett, head, widow, 82, house proprietor, b. St Lawrence, Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, unm., 42, shop keeper, b. St Lawrence, Kent."
- 1871 England census
Sackett Cottages, Hereson, St Lawrence, Kent
Mary Sackett, head, widow, 92, householder, b. St Lawrence
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, unm., 62, sweetshop keeper, b. St Lawrence.
- Letters of administration of the estate of Mary Sackett of St Lawrence, Kent, granted at Canterbury, 19 October 1872 (Somerset House Indexes), "Mary Sackett, of St Lawrence, Kent, widow, died 22 February 1872 at St Lawrence. Administration granted Canterbury 19 October 1872 to Elizabeth Sackett of St Lawrence, spinster, daughter, next of kin. Personal estate under £600."
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||22 Oct 2022|