|Father||John Sackett (1757-1834)|
|Mother||Ann Hooper (c 1756-1841)|
Mary was named as a beneficiary in her father's will made in St John in ThanetG on 21 July 1831. She was left investments valued at £1,700, held in trust until the death of her mother Ann.4
Mary was named as a beneficiary in her mother's will made in Margate, KentG, on 2 April 1840. She was to inherit her mother's personal estate, except for various specified items bequeathed to her Swinford nephews and niece, the children of her deceased sister Ann, and was sole executrix of the will.5
Mary continued to live at 27 Hawley Square, MargateG, the house she had inherited from her parents, and was listed under "gentry" in directories in 1847, 1851, and 1858.6,7,8
In 1851 Mary was living at Abbey House, Minster, KentG, in the household of John Swinford, and was recorded in the census as Mary Sackett, a visitor, unmarried, aged 61, of no occupation, and born in Margate, Kent. John Swinford, a substantial farmer of some 400 acres, employing 12 men and six boys, was Mary's brother-in-law, widower of her deceased sister Ann.9
In 1861 she was living at 27 Hawley Square, Margate, KentG, and was recorded as Mary Sackett, house proprietor, head of household, unmarried, aged 71 and born in Margate.10
Mary made her will in St John in Thanet, KentG, on 14 August 1855, naming as beneficiaries her nephews John Sackett Swinford, Daniel Swinford, Henry Herbert Swinford and James Smith Swinford, her niece Ann Swinford, her great-nephew Sackett Swinford, and her great-niece Mary Thornton.11 The main beneficiaries of Mary's substantial estate (her personal estate alone was valued at nearly £5,000) were two of her nephews: John Sackett Swinford and Daniel Swinford, sons of her deceased sister Ann. They were executors of the will and were to inherit the residue of the estate after specified bequests to the other nephews and to Mary's niece, who received various personal items and cash amounts.
|Charts||Line 8 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "22 July 1789 Mary d. John & Ann Sackett, bn 25 June."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1863. Sackett, Mary, 73. Thanet. 2a:438."
- Burials Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "24 April 1863 Mary Sackett, 73, buried in St John's Churchyard."
- Will of John Sackett of St John's, Thanet, Kent, 21 July 1831, proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 12 June 1834 (National Archives, PROB 11-1833-369).
- Will of Ann Sackett of Margate, Kent, 2 April 1840, proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 12 January 1842 (National Archives, PROB 11-1957-53).
- Website Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer and Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1847. Kent. Ringslow Hundred. Miscellany. "Sackett Miss Mary, 27 Hawley sqr."
- Website Post Office Directory of Kent (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1851. Margate. Gentry. "Sackett Miss, 27 Hawley square."
- Website Melville's Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), Kent. Margate. Gentry. "Sackett, Miss M., Hawley square."
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, Abbey House, Minster, Thanet, Kent
John Swinford, head, married, 64, farmer, 413 acres, b. Kent, Sarre[?], [employing] 12 men, 6 boys
Francis Swinford, wife, 50, b. Kent, Dover
James Swinford, son, unmarried, 26, m'facturing chemist, b. Kent, Margate
Ann Swinford, dau, unmarried, 23, farmer's daughter, b. Kent, Margate
Francis E. Swinford, dau, unmarried, 19, farmer's daughter, b. Kent, Margate
Smithett[?] Swinford, son, unmarried, 16, scholar, b. Kent, Margate
Jane Swinford, dau, 15, at home, b. Kent, Margate
Margit Swinford, dau, 13, at home, b. Kent, Margate
Mary C. Swinford, dau, 8, at home, b. Kent, Margate
Emily Swinford, dau, 6, at home, b. Kent, Margate
Emma Cuffley, governess, unmarried, 27, b. Middlesex, Islington
Mary Wood, visitor, widow, 63, no occupation, b. Kent, Sandwich
Mary Sackett, visitor, unmarried, 61, no occupation, b. Kent, Margate
Susan Grace, serv., unmarried, 33, cook, b. Warwickshire, Lemmington
Harriet Ditcher, serv., unmarried, 42, nurse, b. Kent, Sheldhurst
Jane Bristow, serv., unmarried, 28, upstairs housemaid, Kent, Margate
Jane Ansell, serv., unmarried, 25, upstairs housemaid, Kent, Margate
Emma Brice, serv., unmarried, 18, kitchen maid, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Edward Woodruff, serv., unmarried, 20, footman, b. Kent, Sandwich
Charles Chapman, serv., unmarried, 19, groom, b. Kent, St. Lawrence
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?
27 Hawley Sq., Margate, Kent
Mary Sackett, head, unm., 71, house proprietor, b. Margate.
- Will of Mary Sackett of St John's, Margate, Kent, 14 August 1855, proved in the Principal Probate Registry, 22 June 1863 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown reference).
|Sackett line||2nd great-granddaughter of Robert Sackett|
|Last Edited||29 November 2016|