Major Buell Sackett
|Father||Benjamin Sacket (1731-1790)|
Buell Sackett enlisted at the age of 16 in the 5th Continental Regiment, and served in the American Revolutionary War. He witnessed the execution of Major André at Tappan, New York, on 2 October 1780. After the war, he joined the Columbia County Regiment of Militia, was commissioned Ensign in 1803, Lieutenant in 1804, and Captain in 1805. He retired in 1807 with the rank of Major.1,7,5
In 1790 Buell was living in Canaan, Columbia County, New York StateG. In his household were one man, two boys, and two females.8
Buell was listed in the census in 1800 and 1810 as a householder in Canaan, Columbia County, New York StateG.9,10
In 1820 he was a householder in Lebanon, Columbia County, New York StateG.11
Children of Major Buell Sackett and Sally Earl Beach
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 541 |
Thurmon King's Database, 1275
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Website National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, Patriot & Grave Index (http://patriot.sar.org), "Ancestor # P-283618, Buell Sackett, b. 1763, d. 1840, bur. Cem nr post office, Columbia, NY."
- Website Daughters of the American Revolution (http://services.dar.org), "Ancestor #A098940, Sackett, Buell, service Connecticut, rank Private, b. 28 Jul 1763, Sheffield, Berkshire County, MA, d. 18 Jan 1840, New Lebanon, Columbia County, NY, pension no. S14396, res. Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut, spouse Sally E Beach."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, Sheffield, "Sacket, Bewell, son of Benjamin & wife Dorothy, born 28 Jul 1763."
- Cooke Collection of Massachusetts genealogical records, Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 1:316, Pittsfield Sun, 30 Jan 1840, "Died. New Lebanon, N.Y., Jan 19, Capt Buel Sacket in 75th yr. Rev. soldier. Was one [sic: ?"on"] guard at execution of Maj. Andre."
- Website Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), "In Memory of Capt Buell Sackett who died Jan 19th 1840 in the 77th year of his age."
- Website National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (http://dar.org/), "Sackett, Buell
Birth: 7-28-1763, Sheffield, Berkshire Co, Massachusetts
Death: 1-18-1840, Lebanon, Columbia Co, New York
Pension Number: *S14396
Service Source: *S14396; Bates, Lists and Returns of Ct Men in the Rev, vol 12, p 205
Service Description: 1) Capt John St.John, Col Philip Bradley
Residence: Litchfield, Litchfield Co, Connecticut
Spouse: Sally E. Beach."
- 1790 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Buel Sackett. Canaan, Columbia, NY. 1 white male (16+), 2 white males under 16, and 2 white females.
- 1800 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Buell Sackett, Canaan, Columbia County, New York State."
- 1810 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Buel Sackett, Canaan, Columbia County, New York State."
- 1820 US census, database, American Ancestors, "Buel Sackett, Lebanon, Columbia County, New York State."
|Last Edited||29 December 2019|