|Father||Paul Sackett (1692/93-1761)|
|Mother||Ann (___) Simmons (c 1698-1769)|
Paul was named in his father Paul's will made at MargateG on 4 April 1752.11
As a master shipwright, Paul took on a number of apprentices. He paid stamp duty on apprenticeship indentures for George Smith in 1760, Robert Watson, 1765, Francis Spiller, 1767, Richard Clarke, 1769, Jethro Sandwell, 1775, and Silver Matthews in 1778.12
Paul, described as a boat-builder, was involved in the sale of imported timber at MargateG in 1770.13
Paul's widow Alice made her will in Penton Place, Pentonville, MiddlesexG, on 1 December 1820, naming as sole beneficiary her late husband's granddaughter Sarah Eleanor Sackett, to whom she left everything.14
Date: 1 December 1820.
Proved: Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 19 August 1826.
Source: National Archives, PRO PROB 11/1716/f458.
Testatrix: Alice Sackett, late of Quality Court, Chancery Lane, Middlesex; now of Penton Place, Pentonville, Mdx; widow.
Dear step granddaughter Sarah Eleanor Sackett, now residing with me, everything, & executrix jointly with my friend Thomas Harris Devonshire of Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane, Mdx, law stationer.
Witnesses: Ed. Jones, Ann Jones.
Probate granted to Thomas Harris Devonshire, power reserved to Sarah Eleanor Devonshire, heretofore Sackett, his wife.
Children of Paul Sackett and Margaret Wheatley
Children of Paul Sackett and Alice Reynolds
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John in Thanet, Kent, "25 July 1736 Paul s. Paul & Ann Sackett."
- Thanet Obituary (monumental inscriptions), St John's Church, Margate, Kent, head & body stone, "Paul Sackett, 24 May 1781 aged 44; Margaret, ux., 20 Apr 1774 aged 36; two of their children, ob. infants; Ann, dau. of Paul & Alice, 14 Jun 1802 aged 25." [The two children would have been Thomas d. 1767 and Anne d. 1775].
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "30 March 1781 Paul Sacket, 44." [Assumed error for 30 May 1781; MI has date of death 24 May 1781].
- Marriages Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "25 December 1761 Paul Sackett & Margaret Wheatley (Lic)." [There is a discrepancy in the dates of the licence and the marriage record; the licence date has been used].
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "23 December 1762 Paul Sackett, St John in Thanet, bachelor & Margaret Wheatley, same parish, spinster. At St John in Thanet."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "27 April 1774 Margaret Sacket wife of Paul jnr., 36."
- Marriage Licences, Canterbury, Kent, "28 July 1776 Paul Sackett, St John in Thanet, shipwright, widr. & Alice Reynolds of Ash, spinster. At Ash. Jas Walton of same, pilot, bondsman."
- Marriages Register, Ash next Sandwich, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "1 August 1776 Paul Sackett widower, St Johns & Alice Reynolds spinster of this parish. Licence."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Burials Register, Bunhill Fields, London City, Middlesex, "13 April 1826 Mrs Alice Sackett, 73 years, Winser Terr."
- Will of Paul Sackett of Margate, Kent, 4 April 1752, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 12 December 1770 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-98-358).
- "UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811" (Ancestry image), "9 Sep 1760, Paul Sackett [master], Margate, Kent, boat builder, Geo Smith [apprentice]."
"30 May 1765, Paul Sackett [master], Margate, Kent, shipwright, Robt Watson [apprentice]."
"10 Nov 1767, Paul Sackett [master], Isle of Thanet, Kent, boatbuilder, Francis Spiller [apprentice]."
"29 Dec 1769, Paul Sackett [master], Margate, Kent, boatbuilder, Richd Clarke [apprentice]."
"11 Jan 1775, Paul Sackett [master], Margate, Kent, shipwright, Jethro Sandwell [apprentice]."
"6 Feb 1778, Paul Sackett [master], Margate, Kent, shipwright, Silver William Lawrence Matthews [apprentice]."
- "Kentish Gazette, Kent" (Findmypast image), 19 Jun 1770 & 23 Jun 1770, "Notice is hereby given, That there is just landed at Margate in the isle of Thanet, a large assortment of the Best Memel Timber, and Deals of all Sorts—Which will be sold at the Lowest Prices, by the Importer, Stephen Hooper. In his Absence, apply to Mr. Paul Sackett, Boat-builder; or Mr. William Stone, Ropemaker, in Margate aforesaid."
- Will of Alice Sackett of Penton Place, Pentonville, Middlesex, 1 December 1820, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 19 August 1826 (National Archives, PRO PROB 11/1716/f458).
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Last Edited||22 Oct 2022|