Thomas Wheatley Sackett
|Father||Paul Sackett (1736-1781)|
|Mother||Margaret Wheatley (c 1738-1774)|
Thomas was named as a beneficiary in the will of his aunt Ann Sackett made at St John in ThanetG on 1 May 1781.3 He was to inherit jointly with his brother Paul all her lands and the residue of her estate at age 21, the income from the estate being used in the meantime to provide for the boys' support and education.
Thomas was apprenticed to master tailor Thomas Fleming of MargateG on 29 April 1784.4
Thomas made his will in New Cross, St Paul's, Deptford, KentG, on 25 August 1804, naming as beneficiaries his brothers Paul and Stephen.5 He left £60 to his half-brother Stephen and Stephen's wife Elizabeth. The residue of his personal estate and all his real property was to go to his brother Paul, who was also appointed executor of the will.
Date: 25 August 1804.
Proved: Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 3 November 1804.
Source: National Archives, PROB 11/1417 quire 793.
Testator: Thomas Wheatley Sackett, draper & tailor, late of Margate, now resident of New Cross, parish of St Paul's, Deptford.
Brother Paul Sackett of Ramsgate, innkeeper, my undivided eighth part of lands & tenements at George Hill, St Peter's, now in occupation of Sir John Bensen, rents for life. Reversion to Paul's child or children as tenants in common & not as joint tenants; equal shares; benefit survivor(s); in like manner, eighth part of lands & tenements in St Lawrence now in occupation of Jeremiah Sackett; my share of a house in Church Fields, Ramsgate, & piece of land adjoining, during his natural life. Reversion as above.
Executor: brother Paul Sackett.
Brother-in-law [actually half-brother] Mr Stephen Sackett, law stationer in London, £50, & £5 for mourning; £5 to Elizabeth, his wife, for mourning.
Residue after debts, etc. of personal estate of money or funds to be put into Navy annuities, to children of brother Paul Sackett of Ramsgate at age 21, & Paul to have the use during their minority.
Witnesses: Rolph Coulson Say, Wm Richardson, John Marsh.
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John in Thanet, Kent, "8 March 1770 Thomas Wheatley s. Paul jnr. & Margaret Sackett bn. 25 February."
- Thanet Obituary (monumental inscriptions), St John's Church, Margate, Kent, headstone, "Thomas Wheatley Sackett, 28 October 1804 aged 34; Stephen Sackett, 26 July 1820 aged 42."
- Will of Ann Sackett of John the Baptist, Thanet, 1 May 1781, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1 August 1781 (National Archives, PROB 11/1081 quire 406).
- "UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811" (Ancestry image), "29 Apr 1784, Thomas Fleming [master], Margate, Kent, taylor &c, Thos Wheatley Sackett [apprentice]."
- Will of Thomas Wheatley Sackett of New Cross, St Paul's, Deptford, Kent, 25 August 1804, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 3 November 1804 (National Archives, PROB 11/1417 quire 793).
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of William Sackett of St John in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
|Last Edited||28 Oct 2022|