|Father||Paul Sackett (1736-1781)|
|Mother||Alice Reynolds (c 1753-1826)|
Stephen Sackett carried on a business as a law stationer at 8 Quality Court, Chancery LaneG, from about 1804, when he advertised for an apprentice.5 The business was listed in numerous city directories from 1805.6,7,8 He was a frequent advertiser in the Times of London from about 1817. The advertisements were mainly for junior positions in the legal profession, suggesting that the business was used as a recruitment agency or perhaps as an accommodation address.
Stephen's widow Elizabeth married second at St Andrew's, Holborn, on 25 December 1822, Thomas Ruscoe.9 The business subsequently traded under the name of Sackett & Ruscoe.
Stephen was named as a beneficiary in his brother Thomas's will made in New Cross, St Paul's, Deptford, KentG, on 25 August 1804. He was left a sum of £50, and he and his wife Elizabeth were each left £5 for mourning.10
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, "29 April 1779 Stephen s. Paul & Alice Sacket bn. 12 April."
- Thanet Obituary, monumental inscription, St John's Church, Margate, Kent, headstone, "Thomas Wheatley Sackett, 28 October 1804 aged 34; Stephen Sackett, 26 July 1820 aged 42."
- Burials Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "2 August 1820 Stephen Sackett of St Andrews, Holborn, Middlesex, 42."
- Marriages Register, St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe, Holborn, London City, Middlesex, "13 October 1803 Stephen Sackett & Elizabeth Hughes; Witnesses: Rd. Perry, James Henor[?]."
- "Morning Post", London, digital image, Findmypast, 23 April 1804.
- Website Holden's Triennial Directory Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1805, 1806, 1807, "Sackett Stephen, law stationer, 8 Quality court, Chancery la."
- Website Baines' History and Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1822–3. London. Law Stationers, "Sackett Stpn. 8, Quality ct. Chancery lane."
- Website Pigot's Directory (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), 1822. London. Law Stationers, "Sackett Steph. 8 Quality-ct, Chan-la."
- Marriages Register, St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe, Holborn, London City, Middlesex, "25 December 1822 Thos. Ruscoe, ba & Elizabeth Sackett, widow; wits: Danl. Norny[?], Mary Ruscoe (lic.)."
- Will of Thomas Wheatley Sackett of New Cross, St Paul's, Deptford, Kent, 25 August 1804, proved at Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 3 November 1804 (National Archives, PROB 11/1417 quire 793).
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of William Sackett|
|Last Edited||4 November 2014|