John Meserole Sackett
|Father||William Sackett (1784-1849)|
|Mother||Gertrude Meserole (c 1789-1841)|
In 1850 John was living in New York CityG and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, an innkeeper, aged 36 and born in New York. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 33, and their children, Adeline, 12, William, 10, Henrietta, 9, Julia, 7, John, 5, Phoebe, 3, and Angelina, aged six months.8
In 1860 he was living in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York StateG, and was recorded as Jno Sackett, a teamster, aged 43. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 40, and their children, Henrietta, 19, Julia, 17, John, 15, Phebe, 12, Angeline, 10, Gertrude, 7, and Sarah, aged three.9
In 1870 he was living at Saddle River, Bergen County, New JerseyG, and was recorded as John Sackett, a farmer, aged 47. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 40, and their children, John, 23, Phebe, 21, Angelia, 19, Gertrude, 16, and Sarah, aged 15. Also in the household was John and Sarah's married daughter Julia Lent, 28, with her children, Florence, 3, and Emma, aged one. A William Sackett, 40, and Anna Sackett, 19, also in the household, have not been identified.10
John died intestate. Letters of administration of his estate were granted at the Bergen County Surrogate's Office, New JerseyG, on 17 January 1878 to his son-in-law John Oliver MacDonald.11
Died intestate: Chestnut Ridge, 19 Dec 1877.
Date administration granted: 17 Jan 1878.
Court: Bergen County Surrogate's Office, New Jersey.
Administrator: Son-in-law John Macdonald.
Personalty: less than $500.
Adaline widow of George Miller, of Port Jervis, NY.
Henrietta wife of John Macdonald, of Paterson.
Julia widow of Albert Lent, on homestead.
John D Sackett, on homestead.
Phoebe Sackett, on homestead.
Angelina Sackett, on homestead.
Gertrude Sackett, on homestead.
Sarah Sackett, on homestead.
(Src: Find A Grave, Friends of Cedar Lawn)
Children of John Meserole Sackett and Sarah J Dodge
- Adaline D Sackett+ b. c 1838
- William Sackett b. c 1840, d. before 1878
- Julia Sackett+ b. c 1843
- Henrietta Sackett+ b. 22 Feb 1843, d. 19 May 1905
- John D Sackett+ b. Aug 1845, d. 22 Sep 1915
- Phoebe Sackett b. c 1847
- Angelina Sackett b. 1850
- Gertrude Sackett b. between 1853 & 1854
- Sarah Sackett b. between 1855 & 1857
Notes & Citations
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Death record.
- The only records of John's second given name Meserole are in Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications. It may be assumed that the applicants had personal knowledge of the name.
- "New Jersey, Deaths and Burials Index, 1798–1971", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Jno M, farmer, d. Beyne [sic] County, NJ, 19 Dec 1877, age 63, single [sic], b. Long Island, Manchester, Passaic, NJ [sic], father William Sackett." [Beyne is probably a transcription error for Bergen; the recorder probably meant widowed for single; birth place would have been Long Island; Manchester, Passaic, probably referred to residence; identification of William Sackett as John's father is useful information, not found in other records.]
- Website Find a Grave.
- The gravestone date Dec 19 1897 is an error for Dec 19 1877.
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 549, p 85a
New York Ward 12, New York, New York, 20 Aug 1850
Sackett, John, 36, m, inn keeper, b. NY
Sackett, Sarah J., 33, f, b. NY
Sackett, Adeline, 12, f, b. NY
Sackett, William, 10, m, b. NY
Sackett, Henrietta, 9, f, b. NY
Sackett, Julia, 7, f, b. NY
Sackett, John, 5, m, b. NY
Sackett, Phoebe, 3, f, b. NY
Sackett, Angelina, 6/12, f, b. NY.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 660, FHL film 803880
Yonkers, Westchester, New York, 5 Jul 1860
Sackett, Jno, 43, teamster, personal estate $500, b. NY
Sackett, Sarah, 40, b. NY
Sackett, Henrietta, 19, b. NY
Sackett, Julia, 17, b. NY
Sackett, John, 15, b. NY
Sackett, Phebe, 12, b. NY
Sackett, Angeline, 10, b. NY
Sackett, Gertrude, 7, b. NY
Sackett, Sarah, 3, b. NY.
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_852, p 517A, FHL film 552351
Saddle River, Bergen, New Jersey, 10 Aug 1870
Sackett, John, 47, farmer, personal estate $500, b. NY
Sackett, Sarah J, 40, keeps house, b. NY
Sackett, John D, 23, works on RR, b. NY
Sackett, Angelia, 19, at home, b. NY
Sackett, Phebe, 21, at home, b. NY
Sackett, Gertrude, 16, at home, b. NY
Sackett, Sarah, 15, at home, b. NY
Sackett, William, 40, works on farm, b. NY
Sackett, Anna, 19, b. NJ
Lent, Julia, 28, b. NY
Lent, Florence, 3, b. NY
Lent, Emma, 1, b. NJ.
- "New Jersey, Wills and Probate Records, 1739–1991", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||28 Oct 2020|