Edward Leslie Sackett
|Father||Edward Sackett (1875-1925)|
|Mother||Rose Ellen Colbourn (1874-1965)|
(Edward) Leslie attended St Botolph's Church of England Primary School, Boston, LincolnshireG, from 23 January 1902. The family were then living at 48 Pen Street. He left on 6 March 1903 when the family moved to Portsmouth.9
In 1911 Edward was living at 93 Victoria Road, Charlton, LondonG, in the household of his parents Edward and Rose, and was recorded in the census as Edward Leslie Sackett, a schoolboy, aged 14 and born in Blackheath.10
Edward joined the Post Office as a boy clerk in the City of LondonG in June 1912. He became an assistant clerk in December 1913.11
Edward served in the British Army during the First World War, first in the London Regiment and then in the Labour Corps. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal in recognition of active service overseas. He was granted a Silver War Badge, to be worn with civilian clothes to indicate that he had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness. He had been a clerk in the Civil Service in 1915 and, in 1919, after the War, was a clerk in the Ministry of Labour.12,13,14
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Edward and Ethel were living at 34 Leyfield, Malden and Coombe municipal borough, SurreyG. Edward was a higher executive officer in the Ministry of Labour. Their daughter Daphne was living with them. A redacted record would be that of their son Norman.15
Children of Edward Leslie Sackett and Ethel Victoria Loten
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1896. Sackett, Edward Leslie. Mother: Colbourn. Greenwich. 1d:1130."
- 1939 Register.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006", database, Findmypast, "Feb 1991. Sackett, Edward Leslie, b. 29 May 1896. Southampton. 20:1262:291."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1923. Sackett, Edward L. Spouse: Loten. Greenwich. 1d:1172."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1923. Loten, Ethel V. Spouse: Sackett. Greenwich. 1d:1172."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1899. Loten, Ethel Victoria. Mother: Watson. Greenwich. 1d:1034."
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006", database, Findmypast, "Mar qtr 1976. Sackett, Ethel Victoria, b. 25 May 1899. Bournemouth. 23:0204."
- "National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870–1914", digital image, Findmypast, St Botolph's Church of England Primary School, Boston, Lincolnshire, (Boston National School), "No. 2351, adm 23 Jan 1902, Sackett, Leslie, b. 29 May 1896, father Edward, of 48 Pen St, last sch Park Bd, left 6 Mar 1903, removed to Portsmouth."
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 93 Victoria Road, Charlton, London
Edward Sackett, head, 36, married, tailors cutter, worker, b. Surrey, Croydon
Rose Ellen Sackett, wife, 36, m. 15y, 3 ch, all living, b. Kent, Charlton
Edward Leslie Sackett, son, 14, school, b. Kent, Blackheath
Gladys Winifred Sackett, dau, 13, school, b. Kent, Sheerness
Sidney Charles Norman Sackett, son, 8, school, b. Lincoln, Boston.
- "British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737–1969", digital image, Ancestry.com, "June 1912, 151470, Sackett, Edwd L, boy clk, City [of London]."
"Dec 1913, 259253, Sackett, Edward L, asst clerk, London 2p Dep."
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Edward L, Private, London Regiment, service no. 4756, Private, Labour Corps, service no. 282319, Victory Medal, British Medal, Silver War Badge. WO372/17."
- "The London Gazette", digital image, Findmypast, 4 Jun 1915, p 5407, "Civil Service Commission, May 10, 1915. After Open Competition. Second Division: Clerk, Edward Leslie Sackett."
3 Oct 1919, p 12161, "Assignments of Second Division Clerks. Labour, Ministry of, Edward Leslie Sackett."
- "1939 Register", digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 34 Leyfield, Malden and Coombe M B, Surrey: RG101/1354D/006/8, Edward L Sackett, b. 29 May 1896, married, higher executive officer, Ministry of Labour; RG101/1354D/006/9, Ethel V Sackett, b. 25 May 1899, married, unpaid domestic duties; Daphne R Sackett (later Brown), b. 3 May 1926, at school; Ernest A Campbell, b. 1912, single, confectionary traveller; & 1 closed record.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||2nd great-grandson of John Sackett|
|Last Edited||28 Jun 2020|