A record for John in the 1841 census has not been found. He may have been at sea. His wife Sarah, 60+, and daughter Elizabeth, 15+, were living in St John in ThanetG.9
John Sackett, then of Margate, was issued a merchant seaman's ticket on 4 January 1845. He worked as a seaman on voyages in 1845, 1846, and 1851. The detailed record reveals that he was literate, 5' 8¼" in height, had light brown hair, a fair complexion, and light blue eyes. He had first gone to sea as an apprentice in 1802.10
In 1851 John was living at 68 High Street, St John's, Margate, KentG, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, a mariner, head of household, a widower, aged 66, and born in Garlinge, Kent. Living with him was his unmarried daughter Elizabeth, aged 29.11
In 1861 he was living at 128 High Street, MargateG, and was recorded as John Sackett, a mariner, head of household, a widower, aged 75, and born in Margate. Living with him was his unmarried daughter Elizabeth, aged 38.1
Children of John Sackett and Sarah Tucker
Notes & Citations
- 1861 England census
128 High St., Margate, Kent
John Sackett, head, widower, 75, mariner, b. Margate
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, unm., 38, housekeeper, b. Margate.
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Burials Register, Zion Chapel, Margate, Kent, "3 April 1866 John Sackett, 80 years, decay."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1866. Sackett, John, 80. Thanet."
- Marriages Register, St Peter in Thanet, Kent (Tyler transcripts, Society of Genealogists), "9 May 1811 John Sackett & Sarah Tucker."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1848. Sackett, Sarah, 67. Thanet. 5:412."
- Burials Register, St John in Thanet, Kent (Marion Sackett transcripts), "17 February 1848 Sarah Sackett, Margate, 68."
- 1841 England census
HO107, piece 468, book 2, folio 19, p. 3, GSU roll 306863
St John, Margate, Kent
Sarah Sackett, 60, ind, b. Kent
Elizabeth Sackett, 15, b. [blank]
- "Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857" (Findmypast image), "John Sackett, b. Margate, Kent, 5 Jan 1785, age when ticketed 60, reported voyages 1845, 46 & 51, capacity seaman, ht 5' 8¼", hair lt brown, complexion fair, eyes lt blue, marks none, first went to sea as apprentice in 1802, can write, resides at Margate, ticket issued at Ramsgate, 4 Jan 1845."
- 1851 England census
68 High St., St. Johns, Margate, Kent
John Sackett, head, widower, 66, mariner, b. Kent, Garlinge
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, unmarried, 29, seamstress, b. Kent, Margate
- 1851 England census.
|Last Edited||24 Oct 2022|