Henry Clay Sackett
|Father||Augustus Russell Sackett (c 1810-c 1872)|
|Mother||Mary Haw (1818-1903)|
In 1850 Henry was living in Canton, St Lawrence County, New York StateG, in the household of his parents Augustus and Mary, and was recorded in the census as Henry C Sackett, aged four and born in New York.6
In 1871 he was living in Victoria County, OntarioG, and was recorded as Henry Sackett, aged 27 and born in the United States. Living with him were his wife Bathsheba, 30, and their son George, aged seven.7
In 1881 he was living in FenelonG and was recorded as Henry Sackett, a farmer, married, an American, aged 38. Living with him were his wife Bathsheba, 39, and their sons, George, 17, and Charles, aged eight.8
In 1891 he was living in FenelonG and was recorded as Henry Sackett, a farmer, aged 46. Living with him were his wife Bathsheba, 47, and their children, George, 24, and Charles, aged 18.9
In 1901 he was living in FenelonG and was recorded as Henery Sacktt, a farmer, head of household, aged 56. Living with him were his wife Bathsheba, 59, and their unmarried son Charles, aged 28.10
In 1911 he was living in FenelonG and was recorded as Henry Sacket, a carpenter, head of household, aged 66. Living with him were his wife Bathsheba, 69, their unmarried son Charles, 37, and their granddaughter Bathsheba, aged ten. Granddaughter Bathsheba's parents, George and Henretta, were living next door.11
The passing of Henry Sackett on Tuesday evening last cast a gloom over the entire neighborhood. Mr. Sackett was never known to be sick until a few weeks ago, when he was laid off by jaundice, which was not considered dangerous until a few days before his death. Born in New York State in 1844 he came to Canada with his parents when quite young. His parents first lived in the township of Darlington, but after there a few years came to the wilds of Fenelon, settling near Cameron. For over 55 years he lived and labored with the people of the township, helping to clear its forests and build their homes. Henry Sackett joined the Salvation Army shortly after the opening of this corps and has proven by his life to be a faithful member of that body. The deceased will be mourned by a circle of friends and neighbors who prized him for his Godly life and genial disposition.
His wife, two sons, two brothers and two sisters are left to mourn his loss.
—Lindsay Post, Ontario, 12 Jan 1917.
Children of Henry Clay Sackett and Bathsheba Perrin
Notes & Citations
- Birthdate from 1901 census. Birthplace VT given on death record is probably a recollection of his father Augustus's birthplace; the family appear to have been settled in Canton from 1842 to at least 1850.
- "Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869–1948", digital image, Ancestry.com, "County of Victoria, Division of Fenelon. Sackett, Henry Clay, 72y 4m 14d, d. Twp Fenelon, 2 Jan 1917, b. Vermont, USA, farmer, married, father Augustus Russell Sackett, mother Mary Haw, cause jaundice, informant George Sackett of Fenelon Falls."
- Thurmon King's database.
- Death record.
- "Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869–1948", digital image, Ancestry.com, "County of Victoria, Division of Fenelon, Bathsheba Sackett, widow, d. 11 Nov 1925, aged 84y 4m 8d, cause carcinoma of stomach ("to my knowledge"), b. Mariposa, 3 Jul 1841, living 6 yrs at place of death, all life in Ontario, father Joseph Perrin b. England, mother Susan Haw b. England, informant George Sackett of Fenelon Falls, son, bur. Fenelon Falls 13 Nov 1925."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 590, p 349a-b
Canton, St Lawrence, New York
Sackett, Augustus, 40, cooper, b. VT
Sackett, Mary, 34, b. England
Sackett, Caroline, 11, b. NY
Sackett, Abraham, 9, b. NY
Sackett, George E, 8, b. NY
Sackett, Henry C, 4, b. NY
Sackett, Lucy A, 3, b. NY
Sackett, Narzett C, 1, b. NY.
- Canada Census, 1871, database, LDS, FamilySearch, Film 4396621 p 48
Victoria, Ontario, Canada
Sackett, Henry, 27, b. U States, married, Dutch
Sackett, Bethesheba, 30, b. O, married, Dutch
Sackett, George, 7, b. O, Dutch.
- 1881 Canada census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, FHL 1375879 NA C-13243/130/B/2/3/10
Fenelon, Victoria North, Ontario
Henery Sackett, married, American, 38, b. USA, farmer, Church of England
Bethshabe Sackett, married, female, English, 39, b. Ontario, Church of England
George E Sackett, American, 17, b. Ontario, farmer, Church of England
Charles O Sackett, American, 8, b. Ontario, Church of England.
- 1891 Canada census, digital image, Ancestry.com, T-6373, Family No 54
Fenelon, Victoria North, Ontario, 15 Apr 1891
Sackett, Henry, 46, married, b. US, father b. US, mother b. Eng, Church of England, farmer
Sackett, Bathsheba, 47, wife, b. O, father b. Eng, mother b. Eng, Church of England
Sackett, George Edw, 24, single, b. O, father b. US, mother b. O, Church of England
Sackett, Charles A, 18, single, b. O, father b. US, mother b. O, Church of England.
- 1901 Canada census, digital image, Ancestry.com, T-6501/119/g-5/9/77
Fenelon, Victoria (North), Ontario, 15/17 Apr 1901
Sacktt, Henery, head, married, 56, b. 19 Aug 1844, b. NY, immigrated 1850, religion SA, farmer
Sacktt, Bathsheba, wife, 59, b. 3 Jul 1841, b. O, religion C Eng
Sacktt, C[h]arles O, son, single, 28, b. 28 Feb 1873, b. O, religion C Eng, farm laborer.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 4, Family No 33
Sacket, Henry, head, married, b. Aug 1844, 66, b. US, S Army, carpenter
Sacket, Bathsheba, wife, b. Jul 1841, 69, b. O, Anglican
Sacket, Charles, son, single, b. Feb 1873, 37, b. O, Anglican, carpenter
Sacket, Bathsheba, gdau, b. Jun 1900, 10, b. O, Anglican.
[Next door to son George Edward]
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 15497|
|Sackett line||4th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
Henry Clay Sackett & Bathsheba Perrin relationship chart
|Last Edited||27 Nov 2020|