John Randolph Sackett
|Father||Rufus William Sackett (1830-1889)|
|Mother||Sarah Maria Janes (1832-1879)|
In 1870 John was living in Northampton, Hampshire County, MassachusettsG, in the household of his parents Rufus and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, aged 16, at home, and born in New Jersey [clearly an enumeration error; he was born in Northampton].8
In 1880 he was living in NorthamptonG and was recorded as John Sackett, a furniture dealer, aged 24. He was boarding in a hotel (the census was taken on 3 June, just three weeks before his marriage.)9
John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in NorthamptonG.10 John's wife Julia was named as a beneficiary in the will of her father, William R Clapp, who died on 29 August 1894. She was "of Springfield", indicating that she and John had moved there from Northampton some time after 1880.11
In 1900 he was living at Pleasant Sreet, NorthamptonG, in the household of his widowed mother-in-law Julia Clapp, and was recorded as John R Sackett, a furniture salesman, aged 44. Living with him were his wife Julia, 41, and their children, Lillian, 19, William, 17, and Gertrude, aged nine.12
John, described as destitute, was admitted to a New York County Almshouse on 30 October 1907. Later records, other than that of his death in 1926, have not been found. In subsequent census records, his wife described herself as a widow.13
In 1910 Julia was living at Washington Avenue, NorthamptonG, and was recorded as Julia Sackett, head of household, a widow, aged 47 [she was 52]. Living with her were her daughter Gertrude, 20, and Jane Clapp, 34, perhaps a sister. Also in the household was a lodger, John Ware, 22, Gertrude's future husband.14
In 1920 Julia was living at Boyd Street, Watertown, Middlesex County, MassachusettsG, in the household of her daughter Gertrude and son-in-law John Ware and was recorded as Julia A Sackett, a widow, aged 62.15
Children of John Randolph Sackett and Julia Ann Clapp
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "6132. John Randolph Sackett, b. Aug. 15, 1855, m. Julia R. Clapp."
- Vital Records, Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, v317, p20, marriage, "1880 June 24, John R Sackett, of Northampton, 24, merchant, b. Northampton, s. Rufus H & Sarah M, first m., & Julia A Clapp, of Northampton, 22, b. Northampton, d. William & Julia A, first m. Married by Rev A C Hussey."
- "Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts (Corbin Collection)" (American Ancestors transcript), [5621A], "Children [of Rufus W Sackett & Sarah N Janes]: Sarah F., b. Jan. 6 1852; Henry E., b. Aug. 29 1853; John R., b. Aug. 26 1855; Elizabeth M., b. Dec. 30 1856; Rufus, b. Aug. 24 1858; Nathaniel P., b. Sept. 10 1864; Minnie F.; Eva B., b. Jan. 5 1869. Janes Genealogy p. 351 & Parsons II–202."
- "Massachusetts, Death Index, 1901–1980" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, John R, Springfield, 1926. 82:61."
- Emails from Don Robinson to Sackett Discussion List, March 2001.
- Find a Grave.
- "Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts (Corbin Collection)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Julia Ann, youngest [daughter of William Richard Clapp & Julia Ann Meacham], b. Nov. 16 1857 Nhn., m. June 24 1880 æ 22, Northampton, John Sacket."
- 1870 United States census
Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts
Sackett, Rufus W, 39, furniture driver and jobber, $3,000, $3,000, b. Mass
Sackett, Sarah M, 37, keeping house, b. Mass
Sackett, Sarah, 18, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, John, 16, at home, b. New Jersey
Sackett, Henry, 14, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Elizabeth, 11, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Willie, 9, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Minnie, 7, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Nathaniel, 5, at home, b. Mass
Sackett, Eva, 3, at home, b. Mass.
- 1880 United States census
Roll: 538; Page: 462B; Enumeration District: 348
Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, 3 Jun 1880
Sackett, John, 24, boarder [in a hotel], furniture dealer, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA.
- "Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts (Corbin Collection)" (American Ancestors transcript), , Hampshire Co. Probate Box 243 No. 5, "Sackett, Rufus W. of Northampton, died Dec. 5 1889. Charles N. Clark of Nhn. Admr. Widow: dead. Heirs: Sarah Frances Sackett, daughter, Chicago, Ill., now Sarah F. Mentz; John R. Sackett, son, Springfield; William R. Sackett, son, Northampton; Minnie F. Sackett, daughter, Northampton; Nathaniel P. Sackett, son, Northampton, b. Sept. 10 1864; Eva B. Sackett, daughter, Northampton, b. Jan. 5 1869."
[5622A], "Wife Sarah Janes d. bef. Oct. 1885. In Mar. 1892: Eva B. Sackett was Eva B. Armstrong of Albany, N.Y. (Hus ?A.B.Armstrong); Nathaniel P. Sackett of Chicago, Cook Co., Ill.; Minnie T. Sackett, of Albany, N.Y.; William R. Sackett & wife Emma J. of Merrick, Hampden Co., Mass.; John R. Sackett of Springfield; Sarah F. Mentz of Chicago (?Hus. A.T.Mentz)."
- "Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts (Corbin Collection)" (American Ancestors transcript), Hampshire Co. Probate, Box 288, No. 13, "Clapp, William R. of Northampton, died Aug. 29 1894. Heirs: Julia A. Clapp, Northampton, widow; William H. Clapp, Northampton, son; Julia A. Sackett, Springfield, daughter; Ella Jane Clapp, Northampton, daughter; Harold E. Clapp, Northampton, grandson; Edith M. Clapp, Northampton, grandson [sic]; minor children of Charles E. Clapp deceased son of the testator."
- 1900 United States census
Page: 7; Enumeration District: 0629; FHL microfilm: 1240654
Pleasant Street, Northampton, Massachusetts, 22 Jun 1900
Clapp, Julia A, 77, head, b. Jan 1823, 77, wd, 4 ch, 3 living, b. MA, father b. VT, mother b. VT, home owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Julia A, dau, b. Nov 1858, 41, m. 20y, 6 ch, 3 living, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Sackett, John R, son-in-law, b. Aug 1855, 44, m. 20y, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, salesman furniture
Sackett, Lillian J, gdau, b. Mar 1881, 19, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Sackett, William R, gson, b. Sep 1882, 17, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, bicycle maker
Sackett, Gertrude I, gdau, b. Aug 1899, 10, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, at school.
- New York, Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830–1920
"Admitted 30 Oct 1907, John R Sackett, 52, married, last res. lodging house, b. US, occ. salesman, Protestant, habits temp, physical condition fair, cause of dependence destitution, father Rufus, mother Sarah Janes, relatives brother Nathaniel P Sackett, Springfield, Mass, Wm Sackett, Springfield."
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_593; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 0698; FHL microfilm: 1374606
Washington Avenue, Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, 25/26 Apr 1910
Sackett, Julia, head, 47, wid, 3 ch, 2 living, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. NY
Sackett, Gertrude, dau, 20, single, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, musician, orchestra
Clapp, Jane, [illegible], 34, single, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. NY
Ware, John, lodger, 22, single, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, timekeeper, building.
- 1920 United States census
Roll: T625_720; Page: 7B; Enumeration District: 512
Boyd Street, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Jan 1920
Ware, John B, head, home rented, 31, married, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, salesman commercial
Ware, Gertrude I, wife, 29, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Ware, Virginia R, dau, 6, b. MA, father b. NY, mother b. MA
Sackett, Julia A, mother-in-law, 62, wd, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 Dec 2019|