Rev Edward Saunders Sackett
|Father||Edward Sackett (1791-1818)|
Edward Sackett; who was born in the Isle of Thanet, and early in life brought to God. In the year 1838 he entered into the work of our itinerancy, and laboured with great diligence, faithfulness, and success, in the Circuits to which he was appointed. His piety was deep, and his judgement sound. His ministry was highly instructive and practical; his expositions were lucid, and his sermons the fruit of a strong mind, enriched by general reading, and by the study of the sacred Scriptures. Firm in his purpose, and of great integrity, he had the affection of the people, as well as the confidence of his brethren; and he bade fair to maintain for many years an honourable and useful position in the Connexion. But his course, so full of promise, suddenly terminated. Under debility, brought on by great mental excitement,—the result, doubtless, in some measure, of painful Connexional agitations,—he rapidly sunk. All the Societies under whom he laboured cherish the most grateful remembrance of him and deeply lament his unexpected removal from the church militant. He bore his affliction with Christian resignation, his sufferings were often extreme, but his God sustained him. He said, "Every cloud is removed. Christ is precious." "You cannot tell the comfort I derive from those words,—'Being fortified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.' " He died November 6th, 1850, in the fortieth year of his age, and the thirteenth of his ministry.
Edward made his will in Romford, EssexG, on 28 March 1848. He left his lands and property to his wife Maria during her widowhood. If she were to remarry, the property was to be divided equally among the children when the youngest of them reached 21. The will was proved at Lincoln on 28 November 1850.4
In 1851 Edward's widow was living at West Street, New Sleaford, LincolnshireG, and was recorded in the census as Maria Sackett, Wesleyan Minister's widow, head of household, aged 30 and born in Margate. Living with her were her children, Maria, 7, Catharine, 5, and Edward, aged one.19
In 1871 she was living at 30 Newroad Side, Horsforth, YorkshireG, and was recorded as Maria Sackett, an annuitant, head of household, a widow, aged 50, and born in Margate, Kent. Living with her were her unmarried son Edward aged 21, and a female servant.20
In 1881 she was living at New Road Side, HorsforthG, and was recorded as Maria Sacket, an annuitant, head of household, a widow, aged 60, and born in Margate. Living with her were her son Edward, daughter-in-law Alice, grandchildren Edward, 2, and Nora, 11 months, and a female general servant.21
Maria made her will on 18 July 1882. She left personal estate of some £3,000 to be divided equally among her four children. The will was proved at Wakefield on 19 July 1884.16
Date: 18 Jul 1882.
Proved: Wakefield, 19 Jul 1884 (personal estate £3,071-0s-7d).
Source: Somerset House.
Testatrix: Maria Sackett, of Airedale House, Horsforth, Guiseley, Yorks, widow.
Received from will of late uncle John Gaskell of St Nicholas at Wade Esq. dated 20 Dec 1861 stock funds & securities directed to be held in trust for her to bequeath.
Real & personal estate to be sold, debts to be paid, & remainder to be divided in four equal quarters:
Son Edward Gaskell Sackett, a quarter, including £75 already given.
Daughter Maria Blackburn, a quarter to be invested. Maria Blackburn to receive annual interest, & then to her children after her death.
Daughter Catherine Jack, a quarter, including £50 already given to Catherine or her husband Charles Jack, to be invested. Catherine Jack to receive annual interest, & then to her children after her death.
Daughter Emma Vickers, a quarter to be invested. Emma Vickers to receive annual interest, & then to her children after her death.
If any daughters die without children, their portion to be divided equally between surviving siblings.
Witnesses: C J Blackburn & C E Blackburn, 19 Heaton Grove, Bradford, Yorks.
Executors: nephew Geo. Herbert Blackburn, 19 Heaton Gr., nr. Shipley, solicitor; friend Arthur Tannett Walker, Bainbrigge Rd, Headingley, Leeds, engineer.
Date: 28 March 1848.
Proved: Lincoln, 28 November 1850.
Source: National Archives, PROB 11-2123-854.
Testator: Rev. Edward Saunders Sackett, Wesleyan Minister, Romford, Essex.
Wife Maria, all land & property to my beloved wife & her brother so long as she remain my widow; if she remarries, to be held until youngest child is 21 & then property equally divided among them.
Wife Maria, property etc. from estate of late Admiral Fferrier of Deal, on same terms as above.
Executors: Wife Maria, & her brother George Bone Gaskell, Wesleyan Minister of Barnstaple, Devon.
Witnesses: Moses Harrison, William Gilpin Harrison, John Harrison.
Children of Rev Edward Saunders Sackett and Maria Gaskell
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Church|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence the Martyr, Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "3 November 1811 Edward Saunders s. Edward & Mary Sackett, b. 11 October."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1850. Packett [sic: Sackett], James, 39. Sleaford. 14:354."
- Death certificate of James Sackett (Edward Saunders Sackett), died 6 November 1850, registered 7 November 1850 in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, "James Sackett, d. New Sleaford, Lincoln, 6 Nov 1850, male, 39 years, Wesleyan Minister, diarrhoea 7 days, erysipelas 4 days, certified, informant John Bedford present at the death, New Sleaford, reg 7 Nov 1850."
- Will of Rev. Edward Saunders Sackett of Romford, Essex, 28 March 1848, proved in Lincoln, 28 November 1850 (National Archives, PROB 11-2123-854).
- Private papers of Hilary Kirk, Horsham, Sussex, family tree of Rev E S Sackett , place.
- Minutes of the Wesleyan Ministry Conference 1851.
- Burials Register, St Denys, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, database, Findmypast, "8 Nov 1850 James Sackett, 39."
- The name James instead of Edward on the death and burial records is unexplained and is assumed to have been an error. There is no evidence to suggest that Edward ever used the name James. The General Register Office indexer compounded the error by reading James Sackett on the death certificate as James Packett, creating a further research challenge.
- Marriages Register, St George, Ramsgate, Kent, "11 May 1835 Edward Sackett, of St Augustine's Monastery, Extra Parochial, & Ann Elizabeth Hopkins, of this parish, spinster. Witnesses: Robert Hopkins, Ann Pantony."
- Letters of administration of the estate of Ann Elizabeth Sackett of Ramsgate, granted at Principal Probate Registry, 30 June 1885 (National Archives).
- Burials Register, Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Ramsgate, "2 June 1837 Ann Elizabeth Sackett, 23 years, died 28 May 1837."
- Letters of administration of the estate of Ann Elizabeth Sackett of Ramsgate, granted at Principal Probate Registry, December 1837 (National Archives).
- Website Gaskell Family History (Rob Gaskell) (gaskellfamily.com).
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1842. Sackett, Edward. Thanet. 5:543."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1842. Gaskell, Maria. Thanet. 5:543."
- Will of Maria Sackett of Airedale House, Horsforth, Guiseley, Yorkshire, 18 Jul 1882, proved at Wakefield, 19 Jul 1884 (Somerset House Indexes).
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1884. Sackett, Maria, 63. Wharfdale."
- Andrews Newspaper Index Cards (England), digital image, Ancestry.com.
- 1851 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, HO107, piece 2100, folio 352, p. 7, GSU roll 87729
West Street, New Sleaford, Lincolnshire
Maria Sackett, head, 30, Wesleyan Minister's widow, b. Margate, Kent
Maria Sackett, dau, 7, b. Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
Catharine Sackett, dau, 5, b. Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
Edward G Sackett, son, 1, b. Barking, Essex.
- 1871 Census for England & Wales, RG10/4298/f13v
30 Newroad Side, Horsforth, Yorkshire
Maria Sackett, head, widow, 50, annuitant, b. Margate, Kent
Edward George Sackett, son, unm., 21, banker's clerk, b. Barking, Essex
Fanny Manx, serv., unm., 29, serv., b. Horsforth.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1342035, PRO RG11/4333/17/27
New Rd Side
Maria SACKET, head, widow, 60, b. Margate, Kent, annuitant
Edward G. SACKET, son, married, 31, b. Barking, Essex, accountant
Alice SACKET, dau-in-law, 26, b. Dundee, Scotland
E.S.G. SACKET, grandson, 2, b. Horsforth, York
M.A. SACKET, granddau, 11 months, b. Horsforth
Amelia GIBSON, serv, unmarried, 22, b. Rothwell, York, general serv.
|Last Edited||25 September 2019|