Oliver Patch Sackett
|Father||Myron Sackett (1787-1849)|
|Mother||Orpha Dean (1797-1882)|
In 1850 Oliver was living in CanfieldG in the household of his widowed mother Orpha, and was recorded in the census as Oliver Sackett, aged 22 and born in Ohio.13
In 1860 he was living in CopleyG and was recorded as Oliver P Sackett, a farmer, aged 32. Living with him were his wife Elsie (listed in the census as Electa), 31, and their son Charles, aged one.14
Oliver registered for the Civil War draft in CopleyG in April 1865.15
In 1870 Oliver was living in CopleyG in the household of his mother-in-law, Eleanor Turner, 67, and was recorded in the census as Oliver P Sackett, a farmer, aged 42. Living with him were his wife Elsie, 41, and their children, Charles, 10, and Lelia, aged seven.16
In 1880 he was living at Grand River, DeKalb County, MissouriG, and was recorded as Oliver P Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 52. Living with him were his second wife Mary, 32, his children by his first marriage, Charles, 21, and Lelia, 17, Oliver and Mary's son, Harry, aged five, and Mary's son by her first marriage, John C Stearns, aged 13.17
In 1910 he was living at Grant Street, BeatriceG, in the household of his son Harry and daughter-in-law Hermina, and was recorded as Oliver P Sackett, a widower, aged 82.18
3773. Oliver P. Sackett, 1828–, of Canfield, Ohio, and Cameron, Mo., son of (1502) Myron and Orpha Dean Sackett, was married, Jan. 22, 1856, to Elsie Turner, who died Apr. 27, 1871. On May 1, 1873, he was married to Mary E. Stevens, who died Nov. 1, 1886. In June, 1893, he was married to Addie B. Jones.
6581. Charles O. Sackett, b. June 6, 1859; m. Carrie H. Green.
6582. Lelia L. Sackett, b. Nov. 30, 1863; m. Wm. J. Todd.
6583. Harry E. Sackett, b. Oct. 10, 1874; m. Hermina Reynolds.
6584. A. Minerva Sackett, b. Dec. 27, 1883.
Oliver P. Sackett Dead.
Oliver P. Sackett, father of H. E. Sackett of this city, and for the past nine years a resident of Beatrice, died at the home of his son, 1510 Grant street, Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, aged eighty-four years.
Mr. Sackett had been sick for about a month, but his death came as a shock to the family and their friends.
The deceased leaves four children: Mrs. W. J. Todd, Harry E. Sackett and Miss Lottie Sackett of Beatrice and C. O. Sackett of Cameron, Mo.
Funeral services will be held from the residence at 10:30 o'clock Thursday morning, conducted by Rev. J. E. Davis of the Christian church. The remains will then be taken to Cameron, Mo., the former home of the deceased, and will be laid to rest beside those of his wife.
Oliver P. Sackett died at the home of his son, H. E. Sackett, Oct. 17, 1911. He was born in Canfield, Mahoning Co., Ohio, on January 19, 1828, being at the time of his death 83 years, 8 months and 28 days of age.
He came of a family of early pioneers who settled upon the Western Reserve of Ohio, coming from Warren Litchfield Co., Conn. He was a direct descendant of John Sackett, who together with his brother, Simon Sackett, were among the early Puritan colonists of New England, landing at Nantasket Roads off Boston Town February 5, 1631.
Benjamin Sackett, grandfather of the deceased, and Captain Justice Sackett, great grandfather, were soldiers in the War of the Revolution.
The deceased was married January 26, 1856 to Miss Elsie Turner of Akron, Ohio, who died April 27, 1871; of this marriage were born Charles O. Sackett now of Cameron, Mo., and Mrs. Lelia S. Todd of Beatrice, Nebr. Later he was married to Mary E. Stearns, also of Akron, Ohio, who departed this life at Cameron, Mo., November 1, 1886, H. E. Sackett and Miss Charlotte M. Sackett, both of this city, being the children of this union.
His parents were pioneer members of the Christian church which faith he also embraced in early manhood under the teachings of Alexander Campbell. His gifts to the church were always commensurate with his ability, during his active life.
As did many young men of his time, he made the trip across the plains following what is now known as the Oregon Trail, crossing Gage county in 1866, returning home from Portland, Oregon, by way of the Isthmus of Panama crossing this point at a later date. He moved to Cameron, Mo., in 1874 where he resided for a number of years.
Mr. Sackett came to Beatrice from Cameron, Mo., 9 years ago and has since made his home with H. E. Sackett, his son.
—The Beatrice Weekly Express, Beatrice, Nebraska, 19 Oct 1911, p 1
Funeral of O. P. Sackett.
The funeral of the late Oliver P. Sackett, who died Tuesday afternoon, was held from the home of H. E. Sackett, 1510 Grant street, this morning at 10:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J. E. Davis of the Christian church. A large number of the friends of the deceased and of the family attended the services.
Music was given by a quartet composed of W. S. Bourne, W. W. Duncan, Mrs. Ralph Fishbach and Miss Emma Vaught. The pall bearers were Dr. A. T. Rice, E. L. Hevelone, J. L. Rhodes, J. L. Riecker, J. S. McCleery and D. W. Carre.
The remains were taken to Cameron, Mo., the former home of the deceased, for interment.
—The Beatrice Daily Express, Beatrice, Nebraska, 19 Oct 1911, p 1.
(Src: Find A Grave, David Fry)
Children of Oliver Patch Sackett and Elsie Turner
Children of Oliver Patch Sackett and Mary E (Evans) Stearns
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3773. Oliver P. Sacket, b. Jan. 19, 1828; m. 1st, Elsie Turner."
- B S & J E Dean, A History of the William Dean Family of Cornwall, Conn. and Canfield, Ohio. (1903), digital image, Ancestry.com, p 41-42, Children of Orpha Dean and Myron Sackett, "Oliver Patch Sackett, b. in Canfield, Jan. 19, 1828; m. 1st, Jan. 22, 1856, to Elsie Turner; b. in Copley, __, __; d. in Copley, April 27, 1871; m. 2nd, May 1, 1873, to Mary E. Stearns; b. __, __; d. Nov. 1, 1886, in Cameron, Mo."
- Website Find A Grave.
- "Ohio, County Marriages, 1774–1993", digital image, FamilySearch, "22 Jan 1856, Summit County, Ohio, Oliver P Sackett & Elsy M Turner of Copley. Both 1st m. By Joseph King, Minister of the Gospel."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Oliver Sackett's obituary.
- Find A Grave has 19 Apr 1871.
- Mary's maiden name Evans is stated on the marriage record of her son Harry Sackett and on the death certificate of her son John Stearns.
- "Summit County, Ohio, Marriage Records, 1840–1980", digital image, Ancestry.com, "1 May 1873, Summit County, Ohio, O P Sackett & Mary E Stearnes."
- "Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805–2002", digital image, Ancestry.com, "15 June 1893 O P Sackett & Mrs Addie Jones. Both of Cameron, DeKalb County. At Dekalb, Clinton County, MO."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M432_707, p. 489
Canfield, Mahoning, Ohio
Sackett, Orpha, 53, real estate $4,200, b. CT
Sackett, Oliver, 22, b. OH
Sackett, Mary, 16, b. OH
Sackett, Flora, 13, b. OH
Kelly, Henry, 16, b. PA.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 41, FHL film 805039
Copley, Summit, Ohio
Sackett, Oliver P, 32, farmer, real estate $4500, b. OH
Sackett, Electa M, 31, b. OH
Sackett, Charles D, 1, b. OH.
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Oliver P, sheet 1, no 20, class 2, on undated list headed "Copley No. 4", 18th district, Ohio, Apr 1865."
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_1270, p 158A, FHL film 552769
Copley, Summit, Ohio, 1 Aug 1870
Turner, Eleanor, 67, at home, real estate $2000, personal estate $400, b. PA
Sackett, Oliver P, 42, farmer, personal estate $425, b. OH
Sackett, Elsie M, 41, keeping house, real estate $2200, b. OH
Sackett, Charles O, 10, at school, b. OH
Sackett, Lilian L, 7, at school, b. OH.
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, FHL 1254685 NA T9-0685/304D
Grand River, DeKalb, Missouri
Oliver P Sackett, head, married, 52, b. OH, farmer, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Mary Sackett, wife, 32, b. OH, keeping house, father b. OH, mother b. OH
Charles O Sackett, son, single, 21, b. OH, works on farm, father b. OH, mother b. OH
Lelia L Sackett, dau, single, 17, b. OH, at home, father b. OH, mother b. OH
Harry E Sackett, son, 5, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. OH
John C Stearns, stepson, 13, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. OH.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T624_846, p 8A, Enumeration District 0046, FHL microfilm 1374859
Grant St, Beatrice Ward 4, Gage, Nebraska, 20-21 Apr 1910
Sackett, Harry E, head, 35, m1. 10y, lawyer, general practice, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. OH, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Hermina R, wife, 35, m1. 10y, 3 ch, 2 living, b. NE, father b. NY, mother b. IN
Sackett, Dean R, son, 7, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NE
Sackett, Harry E Jr, son, 3, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NE
Sackett, Oliver P, father, 82, wd, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Sackett, Charlotte M, sister, 26, single, teacher, school, b. MO, father b. OH, mother b. OH.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 3225|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Dec 2020|