James Arthur "Art" Sackett
|Father||George Arthur Sackett (1853-1883)|
|Mother||Clara Etta Brady (1856-1897)|
James was granted a quarter section (160 acres) of land at Crossfield, AlbertaG, on 3 April 1902 with the intention of creating a homestead. However, the land was found to be unsuitable for either cattle or cultivation and had no water. He was granted approval on 20 October 1902 to abandon the land and register for a grant of another quarter. He bought a 12' by 16' frame house on another quarter in December 1902 and worked the land there, breaking more land each year. By 1907 he had 25 acres under cultivation and, on 13 December 1907, he was granted a patent for the quarter.8,9,10
James was naturalized as a Canadian citizen on 31 July 1906.9
In 1921 James was living in Rosebud Municipality, Calgary, Alberta, CanadaG, and was recorded in the census as James Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 40. Living with him were his wife Lula, 29, and their children, Grace, 12, Jimmy, 10, Fred, 8, Ethel, 6, Hazel, 4, and Robert, aged one.11
Sackett—February 25, 1980, Mrs. Lula Dell Sackett, aged 88 years of Crossfield, Alberta. Mrs. Sackett was born in Pilot Mound, Manitoba, December 5, 1891. She was married to James Arthur Sackett in 1908. She leaves to mourn her loss, six sons, Jim and Bob, Calgary, Fred, Didsbury, George, Roy and Ron, Crossfield; four daughters, Grace Whittaker and Hazel Farrell of Crossfield, Ethel Gledhill, Carlsbad, California and Bernice Cissall, Edmonton; three sisters, Greta Hall, Bert Wilson and Polly Nichol; two brothers, Milt and Jim McCool, Calgary. She was predeceased by her husband in 1960 and one son, Floyd William in 1979; two brothers, Harvey and Johnston. Services at the Crossfield United Church, Crossfield, Thursday at 2:00 p.m. Interment, Crossfield Cemetery. Friends who wish may send donations to the Crossfield Library. The Garden Chapel (Foster Funeral Home) 540 - 16 Ave. N.W. Directors.
—Calgary Herald, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 27 Feb 1980, p 68.
Children of James Arthur "Art" Sackett and Lula Dell "Lou" McCool
- Grace Agnes Sackett+ b. 12 Mar 1909, d. 18 Sep 1998
- James Arthur Ralph "Murph" Sackett+ b. 17 May 1911, d. 8 Jul 1992
- Fred Sackett+ b. 7 Jul 1913, d. 27 Feb 1980
- Ethel Lavina Sackett+ b. 12 Apr 1915, d. 7 Sep 2002
- Hazel Marion Sackett b. 29 Aug 1917
- Robert "Bob" Sackett b. 2 Jun 1920, d. 28 Oct 1991
- Ronald Aylmer "Ronnie" Sackett b. 18 Jan 1928
- Lloyd William Sackett b. 7 Oct 1932, d. 15 Mar 1979
Notes & Citations
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910", digital image, American Ancestors, v313, p435, Birth, "1880 November 24, Child Sacket, male, at Westfield, s. Arthur Sacket & Clara Brady, dentist, father b. Westfield, mother b. Westfield."
- Thurmon King's database.
- "Alberta, Canada, Deaths Index, 1870–1966", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, James Arthur, d. Calgary, Alberta, 1 Nov 1960."
- "Alberta, Canada, Marriages Index, 1898–1942", database, Ancestry.com, "1908, Carstairs, Alberta, Jas Arthur Sackett & Lula Bell McLeod."
- "Manitoba, Canada, Birth Index, 1870–1917", database, Ancestry.com, "McCool, Lulla Dell, b. R.M. of Louise, Manitoba, Canada, 5 Dec 1890, mother Catherine Lavinia McGee."
- "Alberta, Canada, Homestead Records, 1870–1930", digital image, Ancestry.com, Declaration of Abandonment, "SW quarter, Section 16, Township 28, Range 1 West, Homestead, James Arthur Sackett of Crossfield, Alta, made entry 3 Apr 1902, now ask to cancel and take up another homestead, reasons: a crowded range for cattle, no water, poor place for cultivation; occupancy 8 months in Crossfield, made no improvements, no land broken. Declared Crossfield, 20 Oct 1902."
- "Alberta, Canada, Homestead Records, 1870–1930", digital image, Ancestry.com, Application for Homestead Patent, "NW quarter, Section 36, Township 28, Range 29 West of 4th Meridian, James Arthur Sackett of Crossfield, age 26, naturalized Calgary 31 Jul 1906, purchased house on land Dec 1902, worked on land Dec 02 to Oct 03, Jan 04 to Jul 04, May 06 to Apr 07, worked in Crossfield when not on land, areas broken 1903 5 acres, 04 3 acres, 05 15 acres, 06 7 acres, cultivated 05 17 acres, 06 17 acres, 07 25 acres, house: frame 12x16 value $100, one mile fenced $100, frame stable $100, previous homestead: yes, abandoned, can't farm such lands. Patent granted 13 Dec 1907."
- "Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, Canada, Homestead Grant Registers, 1872–1930", digital image, Ancestry.com, "James Arthur Sackett, application 3 Apr 1903, Alberta, homestead no. 124727, part NW, section 36, township 28, range 29, meridian W4, fee $10, value of improvements $40."
- 1921 Canada census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG 31, folder 3, p 5
Rosebud Municipality, Calgary East, Alberta
Sackett, James, head, 40, farmer, b. USA, father b. USA, mother b. USA
Sackett, Lula, wife, 29, b. Manitoba, father b. Ontario, mother b. Ontario
Sackett, Grace, daughter, 12, school girl, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba
Sackett, Jimmy, son, 10, school boy, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba
Sackett, Fred, son, 8, school boy, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba
Sackett, Ethel, daughter, 6, school girl, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba
Sackett, Hazel, daughter, 4, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba
Sackett, Robert, son, 1, b. Alberta, father b. USA, mother b. Manitoba.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 9421|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||23 Dec 2020|