Eleazer Curtis Sackett
|Father||Deacon Salmon Sackett (1764-1846)|
|Mother||Mercy Matilda Curtis (1767-1831)|
In 1860 Eleazer was living in Beardstown, Cass County, IllinoisG, and was recorded in the census as Elizor C Sackett, a farmer, aged 58 and born in Connecticut. Living with him were his wife Patty, 56, and their children, Susan, 21, Orange, 18, Flora, 16, and Ella, aged 12.13
In 1870 he was living in Illini, Macon County, IllinoisG, and was recorded as E C Sackett, a farmer, aged 68. Living with him were his wife Patty, 66, and their children, Orange, 27, and Flora, aged 26.14
In 1880 he was living in Illini, Macon County, IllinoisG, in the household of his son Orange and daughter-in-law Emma, and was recorded as Eleazer Sackett, a farmer, married, aged 78. Living with him was his wife Patty, aged 76.15
In 1885 he was living in Wyandotte County, KansasG, in the household of his daughter Ella and son-in-law William Garlick, and was recorded as E C Sackett, a farmer, aged 83. His wife Patty, 81, was living with him, together with their unmarried daughter Flora.16
Eleazer and Patty's address at Eleazer's death in 1889 was 600 Everett Avenue, Kansas CityG.17
1514. Eleazer Curtis Sacket, 1802–1889, of Talmadge and Akron in Ohio, and Kansas City, Kansas, son of (656) Salmon Sacket and Matilda Curtis, was married at Warren, Conn., Mar. 25, 1828, to his cousin (1524) Patty Sacket, daughter of (659) Homer Sacket and his wife Sarah Carter. He was by occupation a farmer, a man of unusual influence, a prominent abolitionist and a personal friend of John Brown. During the war of the Rebellion he was connected with the Christian and Sanitary Commissions.
3842. Martha O. Sacket, b. Mar. 14, 1832; m. John Pitman.
3843. Orange B. Sacket, b. Oct. 10, 1836, d. Nov. 30, 1837.
3944. Susan T. Sacket, b. May 20, 1838, [m.] Mathias C. Coburn.
3845. Orange E. Sacket, b. Nov. 1, 1841; m. Emma S. Cheseley.
3846. Flora C. Sacket, b. Aug. 1, 1844.
3847. Helen M. Sacket, b. July 17, 1846; m. William B. Garlick.
Death of Father Sackett.
At 6:30 o'clock this morning Mr. E. E. (sic) Sackett, better known as Father Sackett, died at the residence of his son-in-law, W. B. Garlick, at Sixth and Everett avenue. Mr. Sackett was in his 88th year. The immediate cause of his death was an attack of malarial fever, with which he had been suffering for about a week. Mr. Sackett had been a resident of this city for about eight years, during which time he has lived with his son-in-law, Mr. Garlick. He was born in Connecticut and moved to Ohio in a very early day. He was one of the early abolitionists, and took an active part in the stirring incidents of the ante bellum period.
He leaves four daughters and one son to mourn his death. Mrs. E. S. Garlick and Miss Flora Sackett live in this city. Two of the daughters live in Illinois and the son lives in Iowa.
Mr. Sackett was a member of the Congregational church, and led an exemplary Christian life. The funeral will take place from the residence of W. B. Garlick, 600 Everett street, at 4 o'clock p. m. to-morrow, Thursday.
—The Kansas City Gazette, Kansas City, Kansas, 10 Jul 1889, p 3.
Children of Eleazer Curtis Sackett and Patty Sacket
- Ann M Sackett b. 21 Oct 1829, d. 22 Jan 1857
- Martha A Sackett+ b. 14 Mar 1832, d. 23 Mar 1914
- Orange B Sackett b. 10 Oct 1836, d. 30 Nov 1837
- Susan T Sackett+ b. 20 May 1839, d. 15 Mar 1920
- Orange E Sackett+ b. 1 Nov 1841, d. 24 May 1928
- Flora C Sackett b. 1 Aug 1844, d. 6 Nov 1920
- Helen M "Ella" Sackett+ b. 17 Jul 1846, d. 3 Jul 1925
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database.
- There is some confusion in the records between "Ebenezer" and "Eleazer". The Connecticut birth and marriage records have Ebenezer. Weygant has Eleazer as do the census and other records.
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "1514. Eleazer C. Sacket, b. Mar. 1, 1802, d. in 1789 [sic: 1889]; m. (1521) [sic: 1524] Patty Sacket."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "[Sackett], Ebenezer Curtis, s. [Salmon & Marsey Matilda], b. Mar. 1, 1802. Warren Vital Records, 1:109."
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886 ().
- Howard Carter, Genealogy of Descendants of Thomas Carter ... of MA and CT, Norfolk, CT (1909), digital image, Ancestry.com.
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, Warren, Church of Christ, "Sackett, Eleazer, child of Salmon & w. bp. 25 Apr 1802. 2:48."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Ebenezer, of Tallmadge, O., m. Patty Sackett, Mar. 26, 1828, by Rev. Hart Talcott. Warren Vital Records, 1:104."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Patty, m. Ebenezer Sackett, of Tallmadge, O., Mar. 26, 1828, by Rev. Hart Talcott. Warren Vital Records, 1:104."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "1524. Patty Sacket, b. Jan 13, 1794; m. (1514) Eleazer C. Sackett."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, Warren, Church of Christ, "Sackett, Eleazur of Tallmadge, Ohio, m. Patty Sackett, 26 Mar 1828. 2:26a."; "Sackett, Patty, m. Eleazur Sackett, of Tallmadge, Ohio, 26 Mar 1828. 2:26a."
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_160; Page: 185; Family History Library Film: 803160
Beardstown, Cass, Illinois
Sackett, Elizor C, 58, farmer, real estate $9,000, personal estate $3,000, b. CT
Sackett, Patty, 56, b. CT
Sackett, Susan F, 21, teacher, b. OH
Sackett, Orange E, 18, teacher, b. OH
Sackett, Flora C, 16, b. OH
Sackett, Ella M, 12, b. OH
Kuhlman, Charles, 21, b. Prussia
Kuhlman, Henry, 18, b. Prussia
Billings, Charles, 45, b. VT
Greeley, Walter, 13, b. IL.
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M593_249; Page: 479B; Image: 254234; Family History Library Film: 545748
Illini, Macon County, Illinois
Sackett, E C, 68, farmer, real estate $8,000, personal estate $2,000, b. CT
Sackett, Patty, 66, keeping house, b. CT
Sackett, Orange, 27, farmer, b. OH
Sackett, Flora, 26, at home, b. OH
Cook, James, 18, works on farm, b. NY
Gray, John, 33, minister, b. England
Gray, Jane, 27, at home, b. England
Gray, John G, 9, b. Canada
Gray, Annie, 7, b. England
Gray, Willis, 6, b. Nova Scotia
Gray, Susie, 4, b. Nova Scotia
Gray, Ward, 2, b. NY.
- 1880 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, NA T9-0229/467B
Illini, Macon, Illinois
Orange E. Sackett, head, male, married, 38, b. OH, farmer, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Emma S. Sackett, wife, 29, b. NH, keeping house, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Lizzie Sackett, dau, 6, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Arthur Sackett, son, 4, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Raymond Sackett, son, 3, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Dwight Sackett, son, 9 months, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Eleazer Sackett, father, married, 78, b. CT, farmer home, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Patty Sackett, mother, married, 76, b. CT, home here, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Henrietta Hulsebus, other, single, 19, b. Hanover, servant, father b. Hanover, mother b. Hanover
Morgan Burrows, other, male, single, 19, b. IL, works on farm, father b. IL, mother b. IL
William P. Collier, other, single, 21, b. MI, works on farm, father b. TN, mother b. AL
Thomas Meilhem, other, single, 18, b. IL, works on farm, father b. VA, mother b. IL.
- 1885 Kansas state census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: KS1885_144
Wyandotte County, Kansas, 1 Mar 1885
Garlick, Wm B, 45, married, brick mason, b. IL
Garlick, Ella S, 38, married, b. OH
Garlick, Flora C, 14, b. KS
Garlick, Mary, 2, b. KS
Sackett, E C, 83, married, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Patty, 81, married, CT
Sackett, Flora C, 40, single, school teacher, b. OH.
- "Kansas City Directory", database, Ancestry.com, 1889/90, "Sackett, Eleazer C, r600 Everett."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 3532|
Bronson, History of Tallmadge
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American) (#1)|
Line 3a (American) (#2)
Eleazer Curtis Sacket & Patty Sacket relationship chart
|Last Edited||7 Aug 2021|