Orange E Sackett
|Father||Eleazer Curtis Sackett (1802-1889)|
|Mother||Patty Sackett (1804-1892)|
In 1860 Orange was living in Beardstown, Cass County, IllinoisG, in the household of his parents Eleazer and Patty, and was recorded in the census as Orange E Sackett, a teacher, aged 18 and born in Ohio.8
Orange served in the American Civil War for three years from 1862 to 1865 as a Corporal in the 114th Illinois Volunteers.5,9,10,11,12
In 1870 he was living in Illini, Macon County, IllinoisG, in the household of his parents Eleazer and Patty, and was recorded as Orange Sackett, a farmer, aged 27.13
In 1880 he was living in Illini, Macon County, IllinoisG, and was recorded as Orange E Sackett, a farmer, head of household, married, aged 38. Living with him were his wife Emma, aged 29 and born in New Hampshire, their children, Lizzie, 6, Arthur, 4, Raymond, 3, and Dwight, 9 months, Orange's parents, Eleazer, 78 and Patty, 76, and a female servant and three male farm workers.14
In 1885 he was living in Wyandotte County, KansasG, and was recorded as Orange E Sackett, an agricultural implements agent, aged 43. Living with him were his wife Emma, 34, a school teacher, and their children, Lizzie, 11, Arthur, 9, Raymond, 7, and Dwight, aged five.15
In 1900 he was living in Kane, Pottawattamie County, IowaG, and was recorded as O E Sackett, a day laborer, head of household, aged 57. He owned his home on a mortgage. Living with him were his wife Emma, 50, and their children, Alton, 13, Hazel, 10, and Robert, aged eight.16
In 1910 he was living in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie CountyG, and was recorded as Orange G Sackett, a self-employed laborer, head of household, aged 68. He owned his home on a mortgage. Living with him were his wife Emma, 59, and their unmarried children, Alton, 23, Hazel, 19, and Robert, aged 18.17
In 1920 he was living at Avenue A, Council BluffsG, in the household of Ray Armstrong and family, and was recorded as Orin Sackett, a widower, aged 79.18
Civil Veteran Is Dead
Orange E. Sackett, 86, Lived Here for Thirty Years.
Orange E. Sackett, 86, retired farmer and veteran of the civil war, died Thursday night at 11:45 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hazel Young, 3647 Avenue C. Death was caused by infirmities of old age.
Mr. Sackett had been a resident of Council Bluffs for thirty years. He was a member of the G. A. R. and the First Congregational church.
The body was removed to the Cutler mortuary.
Besides Mrs. Young, Mr. Sackett is survived by one other daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Sparks of Chicago, Ill; three sons, Robert Sackett of Casper, Wyo., Dwight Sackett of Salt Lake City, Utah, and Alton Sackett of Waterloo, Ia; and fifteen grandchildren.
—Daily Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, Iowa, 25 May 1928, p 7.
Standing Hazel, Alton, Robert, Joseph Sparks and Elizabeth, probably Dwight
Seated Emma Susan (Chesley) and Orange E Sackett
(Src: Dan Schafer)
Children of Orange E Sackett and Emma Susan Chesley
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" Kimball Sackett+ b. 11 Nov 1873, d. 19 Nov 1944
- Arthur Russell Sackett+14 b. 21 Aug 1875, d. 30 Nov 1924
- Raymond Sackett b. c 1877
- Dwight Putman Sackett+ b. 16 Sep 1879, d. 9 Jul 1955
- Alton Veasey Sackett+ b. 25 Feb 1887, d. 25 Oct 1949
- Hazel Sackett b. Oct 1889
- Robert McKinley Sackett b. 19 Aug 1891
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3845. Orange E. Sacket, b. Nov. 1, 1841; m. Emma S. Cheseley."
- Death record.
- "Iowa, Death Records, 1920–1967" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Orange E, d. at home, 3647 Avenue C, Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, 24 May 1928, b. Ohio, 1 Nov 1841, 86-6-23, retired farmer, widower of Emma, father Eleazer Sackett b. CT, mother Patty Sackett b. CT, informant Mrs Hazel Young, Council Bluffs, cause chronic myocarditis, bur. Fairview Cemetery, 27 May 1928."
- "US, Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925–1970" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Orange E, Corpl, 114th, Ill Vol Infty, d. 28 May 1929 [sic: 24 May 1928], Fairview Cemetery, Council Bluffs, Iowa, ship to R W Youg, Council Bluffs, 3647 Av C, applicant A V Sackett, 521 Newell, Waterloo, IA, 24 Jun 1933."
- Find a Grave.
- "United States Marriages" (Findmypast transcript), "25 Dec 1872, Macon County, IL, O E Sackett & Emma S Chesley."
- 1860 United States census
Roll: M653_160; Page: 185; Family History Library Film: 803160
Beardstown, Cass, Illinois
Sackett, Elizor C, 58, farmer, real estate $9,000, personal estate $3,000, b. CT
Sackett, Patty, 56, b. CT
Sackett, Susan F, 21, teacher, b. OH
Sackett, Orange E, 18, teacher, b. OH
Sackett, Flora C, 16, b. OH
Sackett, Ella M, 12, b. OH
Kuhlman, Charles, 21, b. Prussia
Kuhlman, Henry, 18, b. Prussia
Billings, Charles, 45, b. VT
Greeley, Walter, 13, b. IL.
- Thurmon King's database, citing Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890), Microfilm Series M123 Roll 37, Merrick County Nebraska, Lone Tree Twp, Enumeration District ED356, p. 1 L9 D31 F31, "Sackett, Orange E., P.O. Central City, NE, Corporal Co. A Reg. 114 Ills Vols. Enl. 11 Aug 1862, Dis. 11 Aug 1865. Served 3y. Disability incurred: Chronic Diareah & Rheumatism. Remarks: Discharge burned in Chicago fire."
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Orange E, of [Be]ardstown Township, 21, farmer, b. Ohio, former service: 114th Ills Infy Co A, enumerated July 1863, 9th district, Cass, Illinois, white, class III."
- "Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Orrin E, b. 1842, d. Council Bluffs, IA, 26 May 1928, bur. Fairview Cem, war record Pvt, Company C, 114 Regiment, Ill V Inf, enlisted 11 Aug 1862, mustered 18 Sep 1862, Co A, mustered out 3 Aug 1865 as Corp., wife Maryetta Jane, Adjt Gen Report Illinois, Sackett, Orange E, Co A. Buried in GAR Circle #11." [Data is consistent with other records for Orange Sackett except for wife's name]
- "Iowa, U.S., Armed Forces Grave Registrations, 1835-1998" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Orange E or Orrin E, b. 1842, d. Council Bluffs, Iowa, 26 May 1928, aged 86."
- 1870 United States census
Roll: M593_249; Page: 479B; Image: 254234; Family History Library Film: 545748
Illini, Macon County, Illinois
Sackett, E C, 68, farmer, real estate $8,000, personal estate $2,000, b. CT
Sackett, Patty, 66, keeping house, b. CT
Sackett, Orange, 27, farmer, b. OH
Sackett, Flora, 26, at home, b. OH
Cook, James, 18, works on farm, b. NY
Gray, John, 33, minister, b. England
Gray, Jane, 27, at home, b. England
Gray, John G, 9, b. Canada
Gray, Annie, 7, b. England
Gray, Willis, 6, b. Nova Scotia
Gray, Susie, 4, b. Nova Scotia
Gray, Ward, 2, b. NY.
- 1880 United States census
Illini, Macon, Illinois
Orange E. Sackett, head, male, married, 38, b. OH, farmer, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Emma S. Sackett, wife, 29, b. NH, keeping house, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Lizzie Sackett, dau, 6, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Arthur Sackett, son, 4, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Raymond Sackett, son, 3, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Dwight Sackett, son, 9 months, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. NH
Eleazer Sackett, father, married, 78, b. CT, farmer home, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Patty Sackett, mother, married, 76, b. CT, home here, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Henrietta Hulsebus, other, single, 19, b. Hanover, servant, father b. Hanover, mother b. Hanover
Morgan Burrows, other, male, single, 19, b. IL, works on farm, father b. IL, mother b. IL
William P. Collier, other, single, 21, b. MI, works on farm, father b. TN, mother b. AL
Thomas Meilhem, other, single, 18, b. IL, works on farm, father b. VA, mother b. IL.
- 1885 Kansas state census
Roll: KS1885_144; Line: 19
Sackett, Orange E, 43, agricultural implements agent, b. OH, military: Corporal, enlisted Il, company A, 114 regiment
Sackett, Emma S, 34, school teacher, b. NH
Sackett, Lizzie K, 11, b. IL
Sackett, Arthur R, 9, b. IL
Sackett, Raymond C, 7, b. IL
Sackett, Dwight O, 5, b. IL.
- 1900 United States census
Roll: 456; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0148; FHL microfilm: 1240456
Kane, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, 4 Jun 1900
Sackett, O E, head, b. Nov 1843, 57, m. 28y, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. CT, day laborer, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, E S, wife, b. Jun 1850, 50, m. 28y, b. NH, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Sackett, Alton, son, b. Feb 1887, 13, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, day laborer
Sackett, Hazel, dau, b. Oct 1889, 10, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, at school
Sackett, Robert, son, b. Aug 1891, 8, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, at school.
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_421; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0144; FHL microfilm: 1374434
Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, 21 Apr 1910
Sackett, Orange G, head, 68, m1. 37y, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. CT, laborer, odd jobs, own account, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Emma, wife, 59, m1. 37y, 7 ch, 6 living, b. NH, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Sackett, Alton V, son, 23, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, moulder, foundry
Sackett, Hazel, dau, 19, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, stenographer, insurance
Sackett, Robert, son, 18, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, clerk, insurance.
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_510, p 2A, Enumeration District 160
Avenue A, Council Bluffs Ward 6, Pottawattamie, Iowa, 3 Jan 1920
Sackett, Orin, boarder, 79, wd, b. United States, father b. USA, mother b. USA.
[In household of Ray Armstrong & family]
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||7 Aug 2021|