Ancestors of Hamilton Fish

p. 40

The children of Samuel Fish, Jr., and Agnes Berrien were:
1. Jonathan, born May 11, 1728, died Dec. 26, 1779. Married 1st Elizabeth Sackett, Oct. 5, 1750. She died Apr. 9, 1778. Married 2nd Elizabeth Whitehead. She died Oct. 26, 1798.
5. Sarah, born Feb. 24, 1739; married 1st Aug. 31, 1757, William Sackett (1731–61); married 2nd John Woods. She died before Oct. 14, 1786.

pp. 41–42

Jonathan Fish, son of Captain Samuel Fish, Jr. and his first wife, Agnes Berrien, was born May 11, 1728 and died Dec. 26, 1779. Jonathan Fish married first Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Sackett, Oct. 5, 1750. She was born June 25, 1729 and died April 9, 1778. He then married Elizabeth, daughter of Thos. Whitehead. She died Oct. 26, 1798. Together with the other two sons of his father, Jonathan inherited a third of his father's real estate in and about Newtown, which was quite extensive. Before the Revolution he moved to New York and became a merchant, perhaps under the firm name of Berrien and Fish, with offices near Burling Slip and John Berrien as a partner. This business must have been broken up by the war. In fact, Jonathan Fish died during the war on Dec. 26, 1779, only a few months after his second marriage.
The children of Jonathan Fish and Elizabeth Sackett, his wife, were:
1. Samuel Fish, born Dec. 19, 1751. Died Sept. 24, 1752.
2. Sarah, born Oct. 22, 1755; married Terrence Reilly. She died March 5, 1810. He died March 5, 1810? [sic, including the question mark]
3. Nicholas, born Aug. 28, 1758, died June 20, 1833; married April 30, 1803, Elizabeth, daughter of Petrus Stuyvesant.

pp. 42–43

Nicholas Fish, only son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Sackett), was born August 28, 1758, in New York City, and died there in his house, No. 21 Stuyvesant Street, on June 20, 1833. He studied law in the office of John Morin Scott. On the breaking out of the Revolutionary War he entered the service of the Colonies as a lieutenant in the First New York Regiment. On November 21, 1776, he was appointed by Congress major of the Second New York Regiment of the Continental Army, and served with that rank throughout the war. At its close he was, by a resolution of Congress, commissioned as lieutenant-colonel. He participated in the battle of Long Island, the battle of Monmouth, and General Sullivan's expedition against the Indians. He took an active part in the battles which led to the capture of Burgoyne at Saratoga, and the surrender of Cornwallis, and with his lifelong friend, Hamilton, was in the final assault at Yorktown. He enjoyed the confidence of General Washington and of all his contempories, and was by him appointed a division inspector of the army in 1778 under General Steuben, who was inspector-general. He continued in the regular army for a few years after the close of the Revolutionary War, commanding a regiment of infantry at Fort McIntosh and other points on the Ohio river in 1785–6. He was one of the original members of the Society of the Cincinnati, and assistant treasurer of the New York State Society at its organization, and president thereof from 1797 to 1804. In 1786 he was appointed as the first adjutant-general of the State of New York, serving in that capacity until 1793. He was appointed Supervisor of the Revenue by President Washington in 1794, and served for several years. He was alderman of the Ninth Ward of the City of New York, 1806 to 1817, serving on the committee of defense during the War of 1812 with Great Britain. He was chairman of the board of trustees of Columbia College from 1824 to 1832, and in 1831 was the last president of the Butchers and Drovers Bank. He was a devout communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church, and for some years a member of the standing committee of the Diocese of New York. As Colonel Fish's epitaph in St. Mark's Church in the Bowerie aptly records: "He was the faithful soldier of Christ and of his Country." He married, April 30, 1803, Elizabeth, daughter of Petrus Stuyvesant, a great-grandson of the last Dutch Governor of New Netherlands.
Children of Nicholas Fish and Elizabeth Stuyvesant were:
1. Susan Elizabeth, born July 25, 1805; married Daniel LeRoy Nov. 2, 1826. He died Aug. 19, 1885. She died July 20, 1892.
2. Margaret Ann, born Feb 11, 1807; married John Neilson, Jr. Dec 5, 1826. He died Sept. 22, 1851. She died March 3, 1877.
3. Hamilton, born Aug 3, 1808; married Julia Ursin Niemcewicz Kean, Dec. 15, 1836. She died June 30, 1887. He died Sept. 7, 1893.
4. Elizabeth Sarah, born May 25, 1810; married Dr. Richard Lewis Morris, Oct. 15, 1829. He died June 14, 1880. She died March 25, 1881.
5. Petrus Stuyvesant, born May 13, 1813. Died unmarried Nov. 1st, 1834.

pp. 44–47

"Copy of an Account (Not Completed) of the Part Taken by Col. Nicholas Fish in the Revolutionary War; Written by Hon. Hamilton Fish, The Original Being in His Writing."

"(The blank spaces in this copy correspond with spaces left blank in the original, and which Mr. Fish probably intended to fill in later.)"

"My father, Col. Nicholas Fish, in the spring of 1776 joined one the Independent companies (Ritzen) formed in the City of New York. He was, at the time, a student at law in the office of Gen'l John Morin Scott, a distinguished member of the bar at that time. My father was brigade Major, in the Brigade of which Scott had command. In this situation he was engaged in the affair of Long Island, in the summer of 1776. On the occasion of the American forces leaving the Island, a circumstance of a rather singular nature, and which had nearly proved the destruction of one of the American Regiments, occurred. When it was determined that the Army should retire, and arrangements had been made to transport them in the night, one regiment under the command of Col. Hasbrouck, which occupied the extreme —— of the line, was supposed to have crossed with the others. Major Fish previous to crossing himself, requested permission to visit the lines so lately occupied by the then flying army. His object was principally to gratify the curiosity of a young soldier, but to this curiosity may possibly be attributed the salvation of one entire regiment. After riding some distance he was challenged by a sentinel on duty; supposing himself to have missed his direction, his first impression was that he had fallen in with one of the enemy's outposts. To retreat was now impossible, and the second challenge was answered with "a friend," to which succeeded the usual "friend advance, &c." On approaching he found the alarm had in reality been caused by a friend. The sentinel belonged to Col. Hasbrouck's Regiment. Major F. immediately announced the removal of the rest of the forces, and orders were given without delay for the withdrawal of this regiment. The last of this regiment transported were fired on by the British.

After remaining a short time in New York the American General became satisfied the City was no longer tenable, and on the — Sept. 1776, the American forces were withdrawn. Col. F. accompanied his brigade, was present at the skirmish at Harlaem and spent the remainder of the time for which the company had enlisted in Westchester. In October or November the six months for which they had enlisted expired. Gen. Scott then withdrew to his residence at Fishkill, (where the Convention was then in session as I believe) and left to my father the business of attending to the dismissals, &c. and invited him when through with it to visit him at Fishkill.

While there he was appointed to take charge of a flag of truce to escort some Royalist Families to the City. On arriving opposite New York, he communicated his despatches, and while waiting for returns was invited on board of the British vessels lying in the River. He fortunately accepted it. A violent storm arose in the night and the sloop in which he had come down was blown out to sea and was absent several days. During the delay thus occasioned his father and sister visited him on board the British vessel. His mother was at the time dangerously ill in New York and hearing of his being off the City desired him to come ashore. Permission was requested of the Governor, but in vain. My father offered to be blindfolded until he should be in the chamber of his dying mother: this too was refused and avowedly with the intention of inducing him to abandon the cause of the revolution. Gov. —— remarking that he knew him—"he was a bonnie lad and a kind hearted, and would rather see his mither than rin the risk o' being hanged"—free pardon for the past was offered. It was a trial of patriotism and of filial affection, but the love of country prevailed, and he returned with a sad heart, without having seen his mother. She died within a few days after.

He had now received the appointment of Major in one of the regiments drafted in the Continental service. (Col. Van Cortlandt's) but spent the greater part of the winter in the southern part of Westchester, until toward spring when he joined his regiment at Peekskill. In the summer of 1777 he was with the Northern Army under Gen. Gates, and was sent on a detachment in the relief of Fort Stamwix. This relief did not arrive at Fort S. An Indian named —— Schuyler was sent forward who announced that the whole body of the "Rebels" were coming on, on which intelligence Gen. St. Leger raised the seige. My father was present at the battle of Saratoga where he commanded the outposts. After the surrender of Burgoyne the forces were suddenly called for the protection of Albany as Sir (Henry?) Clinton was moving northward for the relief of the British Army. The American forces were marched late in October (about the 20th) from Saratoga to Albany in one day. On arriving at the Four Sprouts, as they were called, the Massachusetts forces refused to enter the water. On ascertaining the cause of the halt my father proposed that the New York and New Hampshire troops (which were united in the brigade to which he belonged) should be marched in first. On consultation the necessary orders were given. On arriving at the waters, the officers dismounted and plunging in gave command to the men to follow: this example being set, the Massachusetts troops followed and the whole army encamped that night in the Patroon's meadow, within a mile of Albany.

The winter of 77–78 he passed at Valley Forge. In the summer of 1778 he was present at the hard-fought battle of Monmouth. In the evening after this engagement he had occasion to visit the quarters of Gen. —— to receive some orders. Had been all day without food and with but little prospect of obtaining any. After receiving his orders, when on the point of retiring, Gen. —— inquired if he had anything to eat, and on receiving a negative answer, invited him to remain and partake of a supper preparing. Being late however my father requested permission to take 'a slice' with him. He was supplied with a couple of large pieces of bread, with beef between, which he deposited in his hat, and returned to his station, being obliged to cross the field of battle. Major Berrien (father of the late Attorney General) was an intimate friend of his, and their regiments being stationed next each other were much together. The business of the day being over, my father sought his friend, who like himself had not broken his fast, nor had he wherewith to break it. They then shared the provisions furnished to my father by General ——.

pp. 48–50

Hon. Hamilton Fish, eldest son of Colonel Nicholas and Elizabeth (Stuyvesant) Fish, was born August 3, 1808, in New York, and graduated from Columbia College in 1827. He was admitted to the bar in 1830, but early turned his attention to political affairs. He became prominent in the Whig party. In 1842 he was elected to the National Congress from the Sixth New York District. In 1846 he was the nominee of his party for the office of lieutenant-governor, with the Hon. John Young as candidate for governor. Although the head of the ticket was elected, the opposition of the anti-renters, whose plans Mr. Fish emphatically condemned, prevented his election. His successful competitor, Addison Gardner, soon resigned the office to accept the position of judge of the Court of Appeals, and Mr. Fish was elected in 1847 in his place. In 1848 Mr. Fish was elected governor of the State by a plurality of nearly 100,000, and in 1851 was chosen United States Senator and served for six years, following which he made an extended tour of Europe. While he was in the Senate, the Republican party was organized, and Governor Fish, as he was always called, became one of its loyal supporters. On the outbreak of the Civil War he took a decided stand in defense of the Union and attained a commanding influence. In 1862 President Lincoln appointed him a member of the Commission to visit the Union prisoners confined in Richmond, with a view to obtaining an exchange, which was eventually effected. He was also chairman of the Union Defense Committee. In 1869 he was called to the cabinet of President Grant, holding the high position of Secretary of State for eight years. Through his skillful and untiring efforts a peace settlement of the Alabama claims was made, through the Treaty of Washington in 1871 and the subsequent Geneva Arbitration in 1872. He became president general of the Order of the Cincinnati in 1854, and so continued until his death. He was also president of the New York Historical Society, of the Union League Club, and of the United Railroad and Canal Company of New Jersey, and from 1859 until 1893 chairman of the board of trustees of Columbia College. Governor Fish served repeatedly as a delegate from the Diocese of New York to the Triennial Conventions of the Protestant Episcopal Church and devoted much of his time to the study of and became an authority in respect of the canon law of the church. After a long, extremely active, and useful life, Mr. Fish passed away at the age of eighty-five years, on September 7, 1893, at his country seat, "Glenclyffe," near Garrison, in Putnam County, New York, leaving behind him the memory of a patriotic citizen and an upright, able and honorable man. Mr. Fish built and for more than forty years lived in a house at the corner of Second Avenue and Seventeenth Street, fronting on Stuyvesant Square, the land occupied by which public park had been given to the city by his uncle, Mr. Peter G. Stuyvesant. The site of Mr. Fish's house and garden is now that of the Maternity Hospital. His country seat, "Glenclyffe," embraced the famous "Beverley House," which had been the headquarters of General Benedict Arnold at the time of the detection of his treason and from which he had fled to the British.

Hamilton Fish married, December 17, 1836, Julia Ursin Niemcewicz Kean, daughter of Peter Philip James Kean, of Ursino, near Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Children of Hamilton Fish and Julia Kean, his wife, were:
1. Sarah Morris, born February 25, 1838; married Sidney Webster, June 7, 1860. He died May 29, 1910. She died February 16, 1923.
2. Elizabeth Stuyvesant, born March 11, 1839; married Frederic Sears Grand d'Hauteville, June 4, 1863. She died March 1st, 1864.
3. Julia Kean, born May 2, 1841; married on Dec. 8, 1868 to Col. Samuel Nicoll Benjamin. He died May 15, 1886. She died Dec. 5, 1908.
4. Susan Le Roy, born Aug. 31, 1844. She married Wm. Evans Rogers, Feb. 13, 1868. She died Jan. 26, 1909. He died March 10, 1913.
5. Nicholas, born Feb. 19, 1846; married Clemence S. Bryce, Sept. 7, 1869. He died Sept. 16, 1902.
6. Hamilton, born April 17, 1849; married 1st Emily Mann, Apr. 28, 1880. She died March 15, 1899. He married second Florence Delaplaine (Beekman) (Amsinck). She died Oct. 22, 1926.
7. Stuyvesant, born June 24, 1851; married Marian Graves Anthon, June 1st, 1876. She died May 25, 1915. He died April 10, 1923.
8. Edith Livingston, born April 30, 1856; married Hugh Oliver Northcote, June 6, 1883. She died Dec. 19, 1887. He died March 30, 1900.

pp. 57–64

[These pages contain material copied from Weygant's The Sacketts of America, pp. 12–14, "Simon Sackett, 160?–1635"; pp. 15–16, "Simon Sackett, 1630–1659"; pp. 20–24, "Capt. Joseph Sackett, 1656–1719"; pp. 31–33, "Judge Joseph Sackett, 1680–1755".]

p. 85

Children of Richard Alsop and Hannah Underhill were:
3. John, born 1697; married December 1718 Abigail Sackett, daughter of Joseph Sackett. He died April 8, 1761. She died Dec. 8, 1752, aged 57.
4. Hannah, married Judge Joseph Sackett May 23, 1706. She was born in 1690 and died June 17, 1773. He was born in 1680 and died Sept. 26, 1755.

pp. 97–98

By his wife, Joanna, he [Capt. Richard Betts] had issue, as follows:
2. Thomas, married about 1683, Mercy Whitehead, daughter of Daniel Whitehead. Thomas Betts died in 1709. His wife married 2nd in 1711 Capt. Jos. Sackett, as his third wife.
6. Elizabeth, married Jos. Sackett, as his first wife. She died before Nov. 26, 1713. They were married about 1677. He was born 1656 and died 1719.

p. 99

[This page has information on William Bloomfield, largely taken from Weygant's The Sacketts of America, pp. 15–16, with the following addition:]
By his second marriage with the widow Sackett, he probably had:
1. John, bapt. the 24th of August, 1645.
2. Samuel, bapt. the 12th of July, 1647.

Fish, Stuyvesant. Ancestors of Hamilton Fish and Julia Ursin Niemcewicz Kean, His Wife.. (Online image. WorldVitalRecords. From the Quintin Publications Collection) (1929). (Researched by Chris Sackett).