|Father||John Sackett (1743-1827)|
|Mother||Catherine Andrews (c 1753-1831)|
Ann and John had a record number of twenty-one children, and the feat was recorded by Peter Laslett in The World We Have Lost: "The child-producing record amongst women known to historical demographers is at present shared between the wife of a solicitor of Geneva who had 21 births in the late 17th century and a girl from Kent, Ann Sackett, who was born in 1779 at Ash in that county. At 18 she married John Cook, a labourer there. By 1823 they had had 21 children at 20 births, and Ann was still alive in 1851."
Ann was named as a beneficiary in her father's will made in St Peter in Thanet, KentG, on 26 April 1823. She was to be paid £100 out of a loan received from her father by her husband John Cook.5
In 1851 Ann was living in Ash next SandwichG and was recorded in the census as Ann Cook, a landed proprietor, head of household, a widow, aged 72. Living with her were her unmarried sons, Edward, 40, Zachariah, 30, and Samuel, aged 28.6
In 1861 she was living in Ash next SandwichG in the household of her unmarried son Thomas, and was recorded as Ann Cook, of independent means, a widow, aged 82.7
Children of Ann Sackett and John Cook
- Elizabeth Cook b. 1799
- Thomas Cook b. 1800
- John Cook b. 1801
- William Cook b. 1803
- George Cook b. 1804
- Ann Cook b. 1806
- Edward Cook b. 1807
- Stephen Cook b. 1808
- James Cook b. 1809
- Jane Cook b. 1810
- Mary Cook b. 1811
- Henry Cook b. 1812
- Charles Cook b. 1813
- Sampson Cook b. 1815
- Vincent Cook b. 1816
- Sarah Cook b. 1817
- Zachariah Cook b. 1818
- Charlotte Cook b. 1819
- Samuel Cook b. 1821
- Lilian Cook b. 1823
- Hester Cook b. 1823
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St Peter the Apostle, Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "2 January 1780 Ann Sackett d. John & Catherine, b. 19 December."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837–1915", database, Ancestry.com, "Jun qtr 1869. Cook, Ann, 92. Eastry. 2a:473."
- Banns Register, St Nicholas, Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "24 Sep, 1, 8 Oct 1797 John Cook & Ann Sackett, both otp."
- Marriages Register, St Nicholas, Ash next Sandwich, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "12 Oct 1797 John Cook & Ann Sackett, both of this parish. Banns. He signed; she made mark. Witnesses: Friend Coleman, Sarah Coleman, both made mark."
- Will of John Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 26 April 1823, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 7 April 1827 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-107-362).
- 1851 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, HO107; Piece: 1631; Folio: 61; Page: 4; GSU roll: 193532-193533
Ash next Sandwich, Kent
Cook, Ann, head, widow, 72, landed proprietor, b. Thanet
Cook, Edward, son, unm, 40, farmer, b. Ash
Cook, Zachariah, son, unm, 30, laborer, b. Ash
Cook, Samuel, son, unm, 28, -?-, b. Ash.
- 1861 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG 9; Piece: 539; Folio: 50; Page: 6; GSU roll: 542658
Ware, Ash next Sandwich, Kent
Cook, Thomas, head, unm, 58, farmer of 50 acres, 1 man & boy, b. Ash
Cook, Ann, mother, wid, 82, independent, b. Ramsgate
Cook, Charlotte, sister, unm, 38, independent, b. Ash
Hogbin, Mary Ann, servant, 29, house servant, b. Kent, Lyminge.
|See also||Notable Sacketts timeline|
|Appears in||Notable Sacketts|
|Sackett line||5th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||18 Nov 2019|