|Father||Ezra Sacket (1750-1834)|
|Mother||Lydia Lovering (c 1750-1831)|
Charles was listed in the census in 1820 and 1830 as a householder in WestfieldG.11,12
Charles was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in WestfieldG on 1 March 1834. He was to share with his brother Roland all the real estate. However, the estate was found to be insolvent and it would appear that the land would need to have been sold to meet the claims of creditors. Charles's wife Abigail was left her father-in-law's brass kettle.13
Charles did not long outlive his father. He died intestate. His widow Abigail petitioned the Springfield Probate Court on 5 April 1836 for the grant of a widow's dower. Charles had owned land in Westfield and Russell, but Abigail "hath nothing". Charles's financial affairs were complicated, with claims from more than forty creditors totalling some $800. Among the claimants were Martin Sacket ($8.33), Harriet Sacket ($11.24), Mariam Sacket ($22.47), and Roland Sacket ($16.47). Charles's personal estate was not sufficient to meet these debts, leaving a substantial shortfall. The homestead of 42 acres was valued at $1,200 and a 10-acre "pasture upon the mountain" at $100.
An administrator, appointed by the Court, determined that two tracts of land together with the dwelling house would have a value of $433, and would represent a reasonable dower. Abigail appealed to the Court for further assistance as the residue of Charles's personal estate "will be very inconsiderable" and "wholly inadequate to the comfortable subsistence" of herself and four children. She was granted the right to select articles of his personal estate up to a value of $150.
The remainder of Charles's land was sold for $610. This sum together with the residue of his personal estate, sold at auction for some $360, was sufficient to pay his creditors.
Not all documents were dated, but the estate would appear to have been finally settled by January 1838.14
In 1850 Charles's widow Abigail was living in WestfieldG in the household of her daughter Sophia and son-in-law John Mallory, and was recorded in the census as Abigail Sacket, aged 66.15
603. Charles Sacket, 1783–___, of Westfield, Mass., son of (191) Ezra and Lydia Lovering Sacket, was married, Feb. 9, 1803, to Abigail Otis, daughter of James Otis and his wife Sarah Holmes.
1351. Mary A. Sacket, b. May 15, 1812; m. Walter Bates.
1352. Sarah Sacket, b. Nov. 16, 1808, d. unmarried.
1353. Orlinda Sacket, b. Oct 9, 1810; m. Zeras Cronk.
1354. Harriet Sacket, b. Dec. 1, 1816; m. Solomon Williams.
1355. Clerinda Sacket, b. June 23, 1823; m. Alfred R. Porter.
1356. Ursula Sacket, b. July 3, 1825; m. Lyman Prebels.
1357. Charles Sacket, July 5, 1818; m. Hannah M. Griggs.
1358. King Sacket, b. Jan. 26, 1806, d. in 1895; m. Mary C. Holcomb.
1359. Elvira Sacket, b. Oct. 1, 1820.
Children of Charles Sacket and Abigail Otis
- Sophia Sacket+ b. 6 Apr 1804
- King Sackett+ b. 26 Jan 1806, d. 1895
- Sarah Sacket b. 16 Nov 1808, d. 16 May 1876
- Orlinda Sacket b. 9 Oct 1810
- Mary A Sacket b. 15 May 1812
- (child) Sacket b. Jun 1815, d. 26 Aug 1815
- Harriet Sacket b. 1 Dec 1816
- Charles Sackett b. 5 Jul 1818, d. c 1859
- Elvira Sacket b. 1 Oct 1820
- Clarinda Sacket b. 23 Jun 1823
- Ursula Sackett b. 3 Jul 1825
Notes & Citations
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, B:241.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Sacket, Charles, s. Ezra & Lydia, b. Dec. 6, 1783."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "603. Charles Sacket, b. Dec. 6, 1783; m. Abigail Otis."
- "Westfield, MA: Deaths in the First Church, 1728–1836", digital image, American Ancestors, "1835 Charles Sacket 62 years."
- Find a Grave.
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, C:263.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Marriage Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Charles Sacket of W. and Abigail Otis of W; m. Feb. 9, 1804."
- "Westfield, MA: Marriage Records of the First Church, 1781–1835" (American Ancestors transcript), "1804 Charles Sacket of Westfield & Abigail Otis of Westfield."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), "Abigail Otis, b. Westfield, MA, 12 Jun 1783, dau. of James Otis & Sarah."
- Vital Records, Westfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts, v174, p364, death, "1864 Sept 20, Abigail Sackett, female, widow, 80-3, congestion lungs, at Westfield, b. Westfield, d. James Otis, father b. Norwich."
- 1820 United States census
"Charles Sacket, Westfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts."
- 1830 United States census
"Chas Sackett, Westfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts."
- "Massachusetts, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1635-1991" (Ancestry image), Hampden County Probate Court, 1834, Ezra Sacket, case 9705.
- "Massachusetts, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1635-1991" (Ancestry image), Hampden County Probate Court papers, 1836, estate of Charles Sacket, case no. 9701.
- 1850 United States census
Roll M432_318, p. 216
Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
Mallory, John A, 54, farmer, real estate $2,000, b. MA
Mallory, Sophia, 46, b. MA
Mallory, Thomas, 22, mason, b. MA
Mallory, Abigail, 19, b. MA
Mallory, Chas N, 17, farmer, b. MA
Mallory, Amera A, 15, b. MA
Mallory, Fitz B, 13, b. MA
Mallory, Stanton H, 10, b. MA
Mallory, Harriet J, 7, b. MA
Sacket, Abigail, 66, b. MA
Mallory, Allen J, 20, mason, b. MA.
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||11 Jun 2022|