|Father||William Sackett (c 1520-1572)|
|Mother||Johan ___ (c 1520-after 1572)|
Robert was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made at Jordan Down, St John in ThanetG, on 20 December 1572.8 As eldest son, he inherited his father's tenement and lands at Jordan Down and the residue of other land. He was the executor of his father's estate.
Robert made his will at St John in ThanetG in October 1622.9 He named as beneficiaries his sons, Robert, William, Edward, and Paul, his daughter Bennet, and his grandchildren Thomas, Henry, Edward, William, Faith, and Mary Sackett. He left a sum of £5 to each, except grandson Thomas who was to receive £10 and grandson William who was left £3. His son Paul was to receive the residue of money, goods, and chattels, and was appointed executor. It seems unusual that Paul, as a younger son, was made executor and was left the residue, but the will contains complicated arrangements for the land and it may be that the other sons benefitted through the inheritance of land holdings. It would appear from his will that Robert was a landowning farmer of reasonable means. The will was proved in the Consistory Court of CanterburyG in January 1623.9
Robert's estate was the subject of actions in the Court of Chancery, London, in 1632 and 1638–39, involving the disputed ownership of some of his lands in Ickham and Wingham, Kent. The court proceedings are summarised in the entry for Robert's son Paul. [See also Transcript of Proceedings]
Date: 2x October 1622.
Proved: Consistory Court of Canterbury, xx January 1623.
Source: Kent Archives Office, PRC 32-45-303.
Testator: Robert Sackitt, yeoman of St John in Thanet, Kent.
Poor of St John in Thanet, 10/-.
Daughter Bennet, £5.
Sons Robert, William, Edward, £5 each.
Thomas son of Robert, £10.
Faith daughter of Robert, £5 at 21.
Henry son of Robert, £5 at 21.
Edward son of Robert, £5 at 21.
Mary daughter of William, £5.
William son of William, £3 at 21.
Son Paul, residue of money, goods, chattels, etc.
Executor: Son Paul.
[Also complicated arrangements for land etc. not abstracted]
Children of Robert Sackett and Faith Norwood
|Charts||Line 2 (English)|
George Harman & Alice Amelia Willis relationship chart
Notes & Citations
- Birth date estimated from data in father's will.
- Burials Register, St Nicholas, Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "23 Dec 1622 Robert Sacket houshoulder."
- Marriages Register, St John the Baptist, Margate, Kent (Parish Registers 1570-1650 (U3/140/1/1) (Debrett's); Tyler transcripts; IGI), "9 November 1573 Robert Sackett & Faith Norwood."
- Burials Register, Minster in Thanet, Kent (Transcript U3/143/1/1 - Debretts), "18 April 1591 Fides wife of Robert Sacket."
- Marriages Register, Minster in Thanet, Kent (Transcript U3/143/1/1 - Debretts), "12 July 1591 Robertus Sacket & Margarita Hart, widow."
- Burials Register, Minster in Thanet, Kent (Transcript U3/143/1/1 - Debretts), "2 November 1597 Margarita wife of Robert Sacket."
- Marriages Register, St Nicholas, Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "23 Oct 1598 Robt Sacket & Susan Harrison."
- Will of William Sackett of Jordan Down, St John in Thanet, Kent, 20 December 1572, proved in the Canterbury Archdeaconry Court, 4 February 1572/73 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-41-360).
- Will of Robert Sackett of St John in Thanet, Kent, 2x October 1622, proved in the Consistory Court of Canterbury, xx January 1623 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 32-45-303).
|Sackett line||Great-grandson of William Sackett|
|Last Edited||2 May 2019|