Miles Bontoft Sackett
|Father||Ira H Sackett (c 1815-)|
|Mother||Lucy Gilbert (c 1819-)|
In 1850 Miles was living in Sturgis, St Joseph County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Ira and Lucy, and was recorded in the census as Miles Sackett, aged eleven and born in Michigan.7
Miles served the Union during the American Civil War as a soldier in Company B, 18th Michigan Infantry. He enlisted on 5 August 1862 and was released on 26 June 1865 in the rank of Corporal. He filed for an invalidity pension on 22 September 1879. Louisa filed for a widow's pension on 26 April 1899.8,9
In 1871 he was living in Malahide, Elgin County, Ontario, CanadaG, and was recorded as Miles B Sackett, a blacksmith, aged 31, born in the United States. Living with him were his wife Louisa, 26, and their daughter Leo, aged one.10
Miles was listed in the 1872 Aylmer, Elgin County, Ontario, business directory as a carriage maker.11
In 1880 he was living at Frank Street, Adrian, Lenawee County, MichiganG, and was recorded as M B Seckett, a conductor on the railroad, head of household, aged 41. Living with him were his his wife Louisa, 34, and their daughters, Leo, 10, and May, aged five.12
Miles was listed in the 1888 Detroit City Directory as the proprietor of the St Charles Hotel at 91 Atwater Street. His death, on 14 March 1899, was recorded in the 1899 edition of the directory. His widow Louisa was listed in 1899 and 1901 at their home, now a boarding house, at 2280 River. Their daughter Lulu, a music teacher, was also living there in those years.13
In 1900 Miles's widow Louisa was living at River Street, Springwells, Wayne CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Louisa Sackett, a boarding house keeper, head of household, a widow, aged 54. Her daughter Lulu, 19, a music teacher, was living with her. There were also seven boarders in the household.14
(Src: Find A Grave, The Lady in Black)
Children of Miles Bontoft Sackett and Louisa Harp
Notes & Citations
- Full name from daughter Leo's birth record.
- Birthplace from daughter May's death record.
- "Michigan Death Records 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Miles B, d. 2280 River Street, Delray, Wayne, Michigan, 14 Mar 1899, aged 60, hotel keeper, b. Michigan, m. 30y, 3 ch, all living, father Ira Sackett b. NY, mother Lucy Gilbert b. England, proposed bur Woodmere Cem, 17 Mar 1899, reporter M S Sackett, 2280 River St, cause gastro duodenal catarrh."
- Find a Grave.
- 1850 United States census
Roll 362, p 262a
Sturgis, St Joseph, Michigan, 29 Jul 1850
Sackett, Ira H, 35, laborer, real estate $60, b. VA [sic]
Sackett, Lucy, 31, b. England
Sackett, Miles, 11, b. MI
Sackett, Luther L, 6, b. MI
Sackett, Hannah M, 2, b. MI.
- "US Civil War Pension Index 1861–1934" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Miles B, Soldier, B 18 Mich. Infantry, filed Michigan, 22 Sep 1879, class invalid, widow Louisa Sackett, filed Mich 26 Apr 1899, class widow."
- "US Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861–1865" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Miles B, 23, of Adrian, Michigan, Union, enlisted 5 Aug 1862, Private, mustered Michigan, 26 Aug 1862, Company B, 18th Infantry, mustered out Nashville, Tennessee, 26 Jun 1865, rank Corpl."
- 1871 Canada census
Film 4396287 p 25
Malahide, Elgin, Ontario, Canada
Sackett, Miles B, 31, b. United States, married, English, W Methodist, blacksmith
Sackett, Louisa, 26, b. O, married, Scotch, W Methodist
Sackett, Leo, 1, b. O, English, W Methodist
Mitchell, Geo, 21, b. O, Irish, W Methodist, blacksmith.
- "Canada, City and Area Directories, 1819–1906" (Ancestry image), Village of Aylmer Classified Business Directory, 1872, "Carriage Makers, Sackett, Miles."
- 1880 United States census
Roll 590, p 20A, Enumeration District 146
Frank St, Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, 3 Jun 1880
Seckett, M B, head, 41, conductor on RR, b. MI, father b. England, mother b. England
Seckett, Louvisa, wife, 34, housekeeping, b. Canada, father b. Canada, mother b. NY
Seckett, Leo, daughter, 10, at school, b. Canada, father b. MI, mother b. Canada
Seckett, May, daughter, 5, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. Canada.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Detroit City Directory, 1888, "Sackett Miles B, propr St Charles Hotel, 91 Atwater e."; 1899, "Sackett Miles B (aged 60), died March 14, 1899.", "Sackett Louisa (wid Miles B), boarding house, 2280 River."; 1901, "Sackett Louisa (wid Miles B), boarding house, 2280 River."
- 1900 United States census
Page 12, Enumeration District 0202, FHL microfilm 1240755
River Street, Springwells, Wayne, Michigan, 11 Jun 1900
Sackett, Louisa, head, b. Nov 1845, 54, wd, 3 ch, all living, boarding house keeper, b. Canada, father b. Canada English, mother b. NY, home owned
Sackett, Lulu, daughter, b. Aug 1880, 19, music teacher, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. Canada, England.
[and 7 boarders]
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||9 Mar 2021|