|Father||William Henry Brill (1859-1932)|
|Mother||Laura Ellen Sackett (1866-1943)|
In 1900 Leah was living at Jackson Street, Brazil, Clay County, IndianaG, in the household of her parents William and Laura, and was recorded in the census as Leah Brill, aged six and born in Indiana.13
In 1910 she was living in Brazil, Clay County, IndianaG, in the household of her husband Edward, 26, a blacksmith, and was recorded as Leah Dally, aged 19. Living with them was their son Morris, aged one.14 Leah was also enumerated in the 1910 census in the household of her parents William and Laura, listed as Leah Brill, aged 18 (but see note.)15
Child of Leah Brill and Edward Dally
- Morris/Maurice Edward Dally+ b. 10 Aug 1908, d. 5 Mar 1927
Notes & Citations
- Date of birth on 1900 census is Jul 1893, and on death record 6 Jul 1893. If correct, she was aged 14 at first marriage in Dec 1907, although she certified that she was 17, born on 6 Jul 1890, and gave her age as 18 at the birth of her son Morris in Aug 1908. On her second marriage license in 1922 she gave her birth date as 6 Jul 1889.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index", database, American Ancestors, "Leah Palace, b. 6 Jul 1893, d. Sep 1971, last res. 88047 Mesilla Park, Dona Ana, New Mexico, SSN issued Michigan bef. 1951."
- Tribune, (Terre Haute, Indiana), 12 Sep 1971, p10, "Mrs. Leah Brill Palace. Graveside services for Mrs. Leah Brill Palace, 78, formerly of Brazil, who died Friday in Las Cruces, N.M., will be at 11 a.m. at the Cottage Hill Cemetery with the Rev. Charles Walls officiating. Surviving are two sisters, Mrs Mame Wolverton of Brazil and Mrs. Doris Gillespi of Las Cruces. Friends may call after 4 p.m., Wednesday at the Miller and Sons Funeral Home."
- Las Cruces Sun-News (New Mexico), digital image, Ancestry.com, 13 Sep 1971, "Deaths. Palace. Miss Leah Brill Palace, 78, died Friday at Valley Nursing Home. Born in Brazil, Ind., she was a clerk for the Ford Motor Co. here for many years. Funeral services and burial will be at Brazil, Ind., where the Miller & Son Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Local arrangements are by Dennis Funeral Home. Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Doris Gillespie of Las Cruces, and a sister in Indiana."
- "Indiana marriages 1811–1959", digital image, FamilySearch, "Marriage license 2 Dec 1907 & certificate 7 Dec 1907, Edward Dally, b. Knightsville, Ind, 2 May 1884, res. Clay County, Ind, blacksmith, father Joseph B Dally dec'd b. England, mother Mary Robbins b. England res. Brazil Ind housekeeping; and Leah Brill, b. Clay County, 6 Jul 1890, res. Brazil, Ind, seamstress, father Wm H Brill b. Clay County miner res. Brazil, mother Laura Sackett housekeeping b. Putnam County Ind res. Brazil. Both 1st m. Married in Clay County 7 Dec 1907 by E L Day, Minister."
- Marriage record.
- Record of Leah's second marriage.
- "Indiana marriages 1811–1959", digital image, FamilySearch, "Marriage license 15 Jun 1922 & certificate 15 Jun 1922, John Bernard Feiler, b. Terre Haute, Indiana, 3 Sep 1884, res. Terre Haute, salesman, father John B Feiler b. Maryett Ohio supt. steel mill res. Giard Ohio, mother Mary Filver b. Ireland deceased, 2nd m., divorced 20 Dec 1921 Vigo Circuit Court; and Leah Dally, b. Harmony, Indiana, 6 Jul 1889, res. Terre Haute, seamstress, father William Brill b. Harmony mining res. Brazil Indiana, mother Laura Sackett b. Indiana res. Brazil, 2nd m., 1st husband d. 10 Mar 1913. Certificate m. Sullivan County, Indiana, 15 Jun 1922, by Ralph H Hoffman."
- "Michigan, Divorce Records, 1897–1952", digital image, Ancestry.com, "1 Feb 1926, Divorce record, Leah Feiler & John Feiler, m. Sullivan, Ind, 15 Jun 1922, petition dated 25 Feb 1924, libellant Wife, not contested, decree 1 Feb 1926, cause cruelty, non-support, granted, absolute, children none. Circuit Court, Wayne County, Michigan."
- Divorce record.
- Thurmon King's database, 37514 Leah Brill.
- "Michigan, Divorce Records, 1897–1952", database, Ancestry.com, "Divorce decree, 28 Sep 1944, at Wayne County, Michigan, James J Palace & Leah Dally Palace, m. Illinois, 15 Jul 1937."
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: 363; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 0004; FHL microfilm: 1240363
Jackson, Brazil, Clay County, Indiana, 5 Jun 1900
Brill, William, head, b. Jun 1859, 40, m. 15y, b. IN, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany, miner, coal, home rented
Brill, Laura, wife, b. May 1866, 34, m. 15y, 4 ch, all living, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Brill, Mamie, dau, b. Aug 1886, 13, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, at school
Brill, May [assumed error for son Guy], dau, b. Aug 1888, 11, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, at school
Brill, Leah, son [sic], female [sic], b. Jul 1893, 6, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, at school
Brill, Myrtle, dau, b. Mar 1890, 10, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, at school.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_343; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 0006; FHL microfilm: 1374356
Brazil, Clay County, Indiana, 27 Apr 1910
Dally, Edward, head, 26, m1. 2y [sic], b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. England, blacksmith
Dally, Leah, wife, 19, m2. 1y [sic], 1 ch, living, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Dally, Morris, son, 1, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_343; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 0019; FHL microfilm: 1374356
Posey, Clay County, Indiana, 21 Apr 1910
Brill, William H, head, 49, m1. 25y, b. IN, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany, laborer, coal mine, home owned on mortgage
Brill, Laurie E, wife, 47, m1. 25y, 7 ch, 6 living, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Brill, Mamie, dau, 22, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, caretaker, dentist office
Brill, Leah*, dau, 18, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Brill, Guy R, son, 21, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, stenographer, Govt land office
Brill, Myrta, dau, 15, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Brill, William, son, 7, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Brill, Dorris, dau, 11/12, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN.
[*Leah, the daughter of William and Laura, was married by this date and was enumerated with her husband Edward Dally and their son Morris at Brazil. It is noted that Leah in the above census record is listed out of age sequence. She could possibly be the wife of Guy, although they were not married until about 1912.]
|Sackett line||9th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||24 Apr 2020|