Emma Crow Spain
|Father||Thomas Spain (c 1800-)|
|Mother||Harriet Crow Jarman (1801-1862)|
In 1841 Emma was living in Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of her parents Thomas and Harriet, and was recorded in the census as Emma Spain, aged ten and born in Kent.10
In 1851 she was living at Sayers Rents, St Lawrence in Thanet, KentG, in the household of her husband George, 24, a labourer, and was recorded as Emma Clark, aged 22 and born in St John's, Margate.11
George and Emma emigrated to Victoria, AustraliaG, aboard the ship Shand, arriving at Port Fairy on 21 January 1855. They first settled in Hamilton, Victoria, before moving to Penshurst, Victoria, where George built a house on the corner of Martin and Cobb Streets.12
Children of Emma Crow Spain and George Clark
- William Clark b. 1850
- George Thomas Clark+ b. 1851, d. 1910
- Charlotte Ann Clark+ b. 1853, d. 3 Jan 1898
- Caroline Eliza Clark+ b. 1856, d. 1929
- James William Clark b. 1857, d. 1902
- Mary Jane Clark b. 1860, d. 1902
- Rosina Harriet Clark+ b. 1861, d. 13 Feb 1928
- Henry Robert "Harry" Clark+ b. 1863, d. 1943
- Emma Clark b. c 1865, d. before 1907
- Albert Arthur Clark b. 1866, d. Jun 1867
- Alfred John Clark b. 1869, d. 1942
- Helen Emma "Ellen" Clark+ b. 19 Dec 1870, d. 10 Nov 1949
|Sackett line||7th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder|
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, St John the Baptist, Thanet, Kent, database, FamilySearch, "12 April 1829 Emma Crow Spain d. Thomas Spain & Harriet."
- "Australia Death Index, 1787–1985", database, Ancestry.com, "1914, Emma Crow Clark, 85, at Phurst, Victoria. Father Spain Thos. Mother Hart. Reg. 15563."
- "Australia Cemetery Index, 1808–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Boram Boram Cemetery, Victoria, Emma Clark, 85, d. 22 Nov 1914."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Mar qtr 1849. Spain, Emma Crow. I of Thanet. 5:496."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Mar qtr 1849. Clark, George. I of Thanet. 5:496."
- Marriage, Ramsgate, Kent (England Marriages, LDS FamilySearch), "29 January 1849 George Clark s. James Clark; & Emma Crow Spain d. Thomas Spain."
- Email from Kelly O'Brien to Jean Carpenter, June 2013, Name of George Clark's mother.
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence, Ramsgate, Kent, digital image, Findmypast, "6 April 1828, George Clark s. of James & Catherine Clark, of St Lawrence, labourer."
- Email from Kelly O'Brien to Chris Sackett, June 2013.
- 1841 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, HO107, piece 469, book 3, folio 27, p. 2, line 15
Thomas Spain, 45+, ag lab, b. Kent
Harriet Spain, 40+, b. Kent
Emma Spain, 10+, b. Kent
Henry Spain, 9, b. Kent
Keziah Spain, 6, b. Kent
Hannah Spain, 4, b. Kent
Rosina Spain, 1, b. Kent.
- 1851 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, HO107, piece 1630, folio 155, p. 23
Sayers Rents, St Lawrence, Kent
George Clark, head, married, 24, labourer, b. St Lawrence
Emma Clark, wife, 22, b. St John's, Margate.
- Email from Kelly O'Brien to Jean Carpenter, June 2013.
|Last Edited||28 June 2013|