|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1816-1860)|
|Mother||Dinah Farley (between 1806 & 1815-1889)|
In 1861 Katherine was living at 1 George Place, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of her widowed mother Dinah Sackett, and was recorded in the census as Kate Sackett, a scholar, aged 9, and born in St Lawrence.12
In 1881 she was living at St George's Terrace, New Street, Ash next Sandwich, KentG, in the household of her husband Alfred, 27, an excise officer, and was recorded as Katherine Smith, aged 29. Living with them were their children, Francis, 4, Isabel, 3, Ethel, 2, and Frances, aged one. There was also a 13-year-old female domestic servant in the household.13
In 1891 she was living at 6 Myrtle Terrace, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of her husband Alfred, 37, a photographer, and was recorded as Catherine Smith, aged 39 and born in Ramsgate. Living with them were their children, Francis, 14, Isabel, 13, Ethel, 12, Frances, 11, Bessie, 9, Alfred, 8, Fred, 7, George, 3, and Doris, aged one.14
In 1901 she was living at 6 Myrtle Terrace, CanterburyG, and was recorded as Catherine Smith, head of household, married, aged 49. Living with her were her children, Frances, 21, Frederick, 17, and Doris, aged eleven. An 18-month-old niece, Edith Baldock, was also in the household.15
Children of Katherine Sackett and Alfred William Smith
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Mar qtr 1852. Sackett, Katherine. Mother: Farley. Thanet. 2a:58."
- Baptisms Register, St Lawrence the Martyr, Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "22 February 1852 Katherine d. Jeremiah & Dinah Sackett, Pegwell, gardener."
- Miss Bolton's Index (), St Lawrence, Thanet, Kent, no. 164.1, "Dinah Sackett 1889; Katherine Smith 1907; George Smith 1915. In loving memory of Dinah widow of Jeremiah Sackett who died January 30th 1886 aged 82 years Though lost to sight to memory dear. Also of Katherine Smith daughter of the above died Sept 24th 1907 aged 55 years. Also to the memory of the youngest son of Katherine Smith Corporal George Smith Australian Imperial Forces Killed in action in the Dardanelles August 7th 1915, aged 28. A son and brother of rare love and goodness a very grievous loss." [Dinah died 1889; date 1886 may be a transcription error.]
- Marriages Register, Christ Church, Ramsgate, Kent, "4 August 1875 Alfred William Smith, 21, bachelor, officer with Inland Revenue, of Ramsgate, & Katherine Sackett, 23, spinster, of Ramsgate. [Both signed]. Fathers: William Chandler Smith, tailor; Jeremiah Sackett, gardener. By Superintendent Registrar Certificate. Witnesses: John Usher Dune, Joseph Catt."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1875. Sackett, Katherine. Thanet. 2a:1243."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Sep qtr 1875. Smith, Alfred William. Thanet. 2a:1243."
- Website England & Wales Birth Index (GRO Civil Registration Index) (Ancestry.com) (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/), "Dec qtr 1853. Smith, Alfred William. Thanet. 2a:557."
- "St George's Church, Ramsgate, Kent, baptisms register", database, Ancestry.com, "25 Jun 1854 Alfred William Smith s. William Chandlers Smith and Sarah Frances Smith."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Mar qtr 1929. Smith, Alfred W, 75. St Thomas, 3b:85."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Smith Alfred William of Hill Top Countess Weir Topham Devonshire died 26 February 1929 Administration London 12 July to Alfred Granville Smith contractor. Effects £92 11s."
- 1861 Census for England & Wales, RG9/?
1 George Place, Ramsgate, Kent
Dinah Sackett, head, widow, 49, dressmaker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Isabel Sackett, dau, 11, scholar, b. St Lawrence, Kent
Kate Sackett, dau, 9, scholar, b. St Lawrence.
- 1881 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG11, Piece 993, Folio 35, p. 19, GSU roll 1341236
St George's Terrace, New St, Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent
Smith, Alfred W, head, 27, excise officer, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Smith, Katherine, wife, 29, b. St Lawrence, Kent
Smith, Francis, son, 4, scholar, b. St Edmunds, Northampton
Smith, Isabell E, dau, 3, b. Ramsgate
Smith, Ethel C, dau, 2, b. St Mary Northgate, Kent
Smith, Frances G, dau, 1, b. St Mary Northgate, Kent
Lawler, Alice, servant, 13, nurse domestic servant, b. New Romney, Kent.
- 1891 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG12, piece 708, folio 95, p. 21, GSU roll 6095818.
6 Myrtle Ter, St Peter's, Canterbury, Kent
Alfred Wm Smith, head, married, 37, photographer, employer, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Catherine Smith, wife, 39, b. Kent, Ramsgate
Francis S Smith, son, 14, tin plate worker, b. Northampton
Isabel E Smith, dau, 13, general servant (domestic), b. Kent, Ramsgate
Ethel C Smith, dau, 12, scholar, b. Kent, Canterbury
Frances G Smith, dau, 11, scholar, b. Kent, Canterbury
Bessie M Smith, dau, 9, scholar, b. Kent, Ash
Alfred G Smith, son, 8, scholar, b. Kent, Ash
Fred W Smith, son, 7, scholar, b. Kent, Ash
George C Smith, son, 3, b. Kent, Canterbury
Doris A Smith, dau, 1, b. Kent, Canterbury.
- 1901 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG13, Piece 794, Folio 45, p. 20
6 Myrtle Ter, Canterbury, Kent
Catherine Smith, head, married, 49, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Frances Smith, dau, single, 21, domestic general, b. Canterbury
Doris Smith, dau, 11, scholar, b. Canterbury
Edith Baldock, niece, 18 months, b. Kennington, London
Frederick Smith, son, 17, domestic footman, b. Ash, Kent.
|Sackett line||7th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||25 Nov 2016|