Robert John Sackett
|Father||John Kemp Sackett (1839-1880)|
|Mother||Mary Ann Doe (1847-1912)|
In 1891 Robert was living at 14 Fifth Avenue, Little Ilford, EssexG, with his widowed mother Mary Ann in the household of John Parker, and was recorded in the census as Robert Sacket, a visitor, aged 11 and born in Stratford, Essex.6
Robert served as a private soldier during and after the First World War. He enlisted at Ilford, Essex, on 15 June 1915 in the Northamptonshire Regiment and was posted with the British Expeditionary Force to France on 25 November 1915. He was evacuated on 16 September 1916 and hospitalized in England for two weeks receiving treatment for an abscess. He was transferred to the Middlesex Regiment, on 22 February 1917, then again to the Royal Army Service Corps on 3 March 1917, and was posted to France on 15 August 1917 where he served as a driver until at least September 1918. He was discharged on the "sick and wounded" list from the Dispersal Hospital, Casualty Clearing Station, Eastleigh, on 27 March 1919 and was discharged from the Army on or after 24 April 1919.7,8,9,10
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Robert and Maria were living at 115 Walton Road, East Ham, EssexG. Robert was a builder's labourer, Maria a potato and pea picker.11
Children of Robert John Sackett and Maria Mayne
- Robert Alfred Sackett b. 30 Aug 1902, d. Oct 1986
- Thomas Sackett b. 15 Jul 1904, d. Jul 1997
- Jane Ellen Sackett b. 13 Feb 1907
- Edith Elizabeth Sackett b. 11 Oct 1909
- Rosetta Sackett+ b. 26 Dec 1911, d. 1979
- Robert John Sackett b. 4 Oct 1914, d. May 2003
- May Georgina Sackett b. 30 Jun 1917
- Lily Sackett b. 1920, d. 1920
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1880. Sackett, Robert John. Mother: Doe. W Ham. 4a:13."
- 1939 Register.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1944. Sackett, Robert J, 63. Essex S W."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1904. Sackett, Robert John. W Ham. 4a:141."
- Marriages Register, St Mary the Virgin, Little Ilford, Essex (Essex Record Office, Chelmsford), "11 July 1904, Robert John Sackett, 25, bachelor, labourer, of 18 Bessborough Road, father: John Sackett (deceased), labourer; and Maria Mayne, 23, spinster, of 18 Bessborough Road, father: Samuel Mayne, labourer. Banns. Both signed. Witnesses: Florence Prior, Isaac Pumfrett."
- 1891 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG12, piece 1342, folio 92, p. 3, GSU roll 6096452
14 Fifth Avenue, Little Ilford, Essex
John Parker, head, widr, 47, local board scavenger, b. London, Middlesex
Edward Parker, son, 18, bricklayers laborer, b. Barking, Essex
James Parker, son, 12, b. Barking, Essex
Henry Parker, son, 9, b. Barking, Essex
Mary Ann Sacket, visitor, wid, 45, b. Epping, Essex
Robert Sacket, visitor, 11, b. Stratford, Essex.
- "British Army WW1 Service Records, 1914–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Robert J, Private, Northamptonshire Regiment, service no. 20063, Private, Army Service Corps, service no. T/325693, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1915 Star, Theatre of War entry 25 Nov 1915. WO372/17."
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, J R, Private, Northamptonshire Regiment, service no. 20063, Private, Middlesex Regiment, Private, Army Service Corps, service no. T/325693, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1915 Star, Theatre of War entry 25 Nov 1915, correct initials "R J". WO372/17."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 115 Walton Road, East Ham, Essex: RG101/1002A/012/13, Robert J Sackett, b. 21 May 1880, married, builders labourer heavy; RG101/1002A/012/14, Maria Sackett, b. 3 Jan 1881, married, landworker potatoes & pea picker.
|Last Edited||26 June 2020|