William Meserole Sackett
|Father||John D Sackett (1845-1915)|
|Mother||Julia Perry (1855-1890)|
In 1885 William was living in Manchester, Passaic CountyG, in the household of his parents John and Julia, and was recorded in the census as William Sackett, aged 5 or under.7
In 1900 William was living in Manchester Township, Passaic County, New JerseyG, in the household of his father John and stepmother Lois, and was recorded in the census as William Sackett, aged 18 and born in New Jersey.8
In 1905 he was living in Manchester, Passaic CountyG, in the household of his father John and stepmother Lois, and was recorded as William M Sackett, a porter in a glue works, aged 22.9
William completed a World War I draft registration card on 12 September 1918. He was aged 36 and was a chauffeur. He was living at 315 Wagaraw Road, Hawthorne, Passaic CountyG, with his wife Etta.10
In 1920 he was living in Hawthorne, Passaic CountyG, and was recorded as William Sackett, a teamster with a coal company, head of household, aged 38 and born in New Jersey. Living with him were his wife Etta, aged 28 and born in New York, their son William, aged two years three months, and a one-year-old boarder.11
In 1930 he was living at Wagner Place, HawthorneG, and was recorded as William Sackett, a chauffeur, head of household, aged 48. He rented his home. Living with him were hiis wife Etta, 38, a weaver in a silk mill, and their son William, aged twelve.12
William Sackett Dies In Firemen's Home
William Sackett, age 56, one of the organizers and charter members of Fire Company No. 4 passed away Saturday morning at the Boonton Firemen's Home. Mr. Sackett had been suffering from an illness of approximately five years duration and had been removed from his home, 132 Fifth avenue, to the Boonton Home about three years ago.
He had lived in the borough 35 years and was an active member of Fire Company No. 4 for 19 years, having been a former assistant chief. He had been employed in the borough by the Hawthorne Coal company and is survived by his wife, Etta, and son, William, Jr., of 132 Fifth avenue.
All members of Fire Company No. 4 and also Exempt firemen are urged to meet at the headquarters of the fire company on Lincoln avenue at 7 o'clock this evening to proceed to the Legg Funeral Parlor in a body to pay their last respects. Services will be conducted by the Rev. John S. Moore of the First Reformed church of Hawthorne at this time. Interment will take place on Tuesday.
—The Morning Call, Paterson, New Jersey, 8 Nov 1937, p 8
William Sackett, 56, an organizer of Fire Co. No. 4, Hawthorne, died on Saturday in the Firemen's Home, Boonton. He had been ill for the past five years. Before going to the institution, Mr. Sackett resided at 132 Fifth Avenue, Hawthorne.
Services will be held at the Legg Funeral Home, Broadway, Paterson, this evening. Burial will be tomorrow.
Surviving is Mr. Sackett's wife, Mrs. Etta Sackett, and a son, William Sackett, Jr., of Hawthorne.
—The Herald-News, Passaic, New Jersey, 8 Nov 1937, p 8.
Child of William Meserole Sackett and Etta Kyff
- William Meserole Sackett+ b. 26 Sep 1917, d. 9 Aug 2013
Notes & Citations
- Draft of 12 Sep 1918 has b. 9 Nov 1882 but age 36, suggesting 1881. 1900 census has b. Nov 1881.
- Website Find A Grave.
- Email from 115 Brian Sackett to Chris Sackett, Sep 2020.
- "New Jersey, Marriage Index, 1901–2016", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, William, and Etta Kyff, 1912."
- "New Jersey, State Census, 1885", digital image, Ancestry.com, Manchester, Passaic, New Jersey
John D Sackett, 20-60
Julia Sackett, 20-60
Annie Sackett, 5-20
William Sackett, 5 and under.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, T623/989/66 Manchester Township, Passaic County, New Jersey, 16 June 1900
Sackett, John, head, b. Aug 1849, age 50, m. 10 yrs, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, salesman, rented house
Sackett, Lois, wife, b. Mar 1861, age 39, m. 10 yrs, 2 ch., 1 living, b. England, father b. England, mother b. England, immigrated 1890, 10 yrs in US
Sackett, Thomas, son, b. May 1881, age 19, b. England, father b. England, mother b. England, laborer
Sackett, William, son, b. Nov 1881, age 18, b. NJ, father b. NY, mother b. England, [occ. illegible]
Sackett, Henrietta, dau, b. Apr 1887, age 13, b. NJ, father b. NY, mother b. England, at school
[As John and Lois are recorded as having been married for 10 years, it is assumed that the children listed are from previous marriages. The birth data suggest that William and Henrietta would have been the children of John, and Thomas would have been the son of Lois. Thomas may have taken the surname Sackett, although it is more likely that the enumerator mistakenly assumed that all members of the household were named Sackett.].
- "New Jersey, State Census, 1905", digital image, Ancestry.com, Manchester Township, Passaic, New Jersey
Sackett, John D, b. Aug 1855, 49, patent med mfg, home rented, b. US, father b. US, mother b. US
Sackett, Lois, b. Mar 1862, 43, b. Eng, father b. Eng, mother b. Eng
Sackett, Henrietta, b. Apr 1887, 18, single, b. US, father b. US, mother b. Eng
Sackett, Wm M, glue works porter, b. Nov 1882, 22, single, b. US, father b. US, mother b. Eng.
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918", digital image, FamilySearch, New Jersey, Passaic. Draft Division#1 Roll#1754428, "Serial#2098 Order#A1447, William Mezro Sackett, 315 Wagaraw Road Hawthorne New Jersey, Age: 36, b. 9 Nov 1882, married, white, native born, chauffer at G.W. Doremus, nearest relative: Mrs. Etta Sackett at 315 Wagaraw Road Hawthorne New Jersey, Registrant: Short Ht, Med Build, eyes brown, hair black, no disabilities, Reg: 12 Sep 1918 at New Jersey."
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, T625/1062/65 Hawthorne, Passaic County, New Jersey, 8 January 1920
Sackett, William, head, home rented, 38, married, b. NJ, father b. NY, mother b. NY, teamster, coal company
Sackett, Etta, wife, 28, b. NY, father b. Holland, mother b. Holland, occ. none
Sackett, William, son, 2 3/12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NY
Melvin, Wesley, boarder, male, 1 4/12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NJ.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 11B, Enumeration District 0123, FHL microfilm 2341112
Wagner Place, Hawthorne, Passaic, New Jersey, 11 Apr 1930
Sackett, William, head, 48, m. at 30, chauffeur, transportation, b. NJ, father b. US, mother b. US, home rented, $30
Sackett, Etta, wife, 38, m. at 20, weaver, silk mill, b. NY, father b. Holland, mother b. Holland
Sackett, William, son, 12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NY.
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||27 Oct 2020|