William Meserole Sackett
|Father||William Meserole Sackett (1881-1937)|
|Mother||Etta Kyff (1891-)|
In 1920 William was living at Hawthorne, Passaic County, New JerseyG, in the household of his parents William and Etta, and was recorded in the census as William Sackett, aged two years three months and born in New Jersey.8
In 1930 he was living at Wagner Place, HawthorneG, in the household of his parents William and Etta, and was recorded as William Sackett, aged twelve.9
William completed a World War II draft registration card on 16 October 1940. He was aged 23 and was employed at Little Falls Laundry. He was living at 296 Belmont Avenue, Haledon, Passaic CountyG, and next of kin was his mother Etta.10
Wanaque—Services were held for William M. Sackett, 95, of Wayne, who died on Friday, August 9, 2013. He was a former resident of the Haskell section of this community.
Born and raised in Hawthorne, Mr. Sackett lived in Prospect Park, Haskell, and Butler before moving to Wayne. He was a field engineer for Curtiss-Wright Corp., Caldwell, and later was president of Tri County Leasing of Atkins Chevrolet, Wayne, where he worked from 1961 to 1987. In his youth, he worked at a service station and for the Little Falls Laundry. A U.S. Army Air Corps of World War II, he received three Air Medals, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and one Recognition from the government of China. He was a member of the Hump Pilots Association, the Air Force Association, and the American Legion. And, he was a leader with the Explorer Scouts for many years.
Arrangements are by the Vander May Wayne Colonial Funeral Home, Wayne. Interment will be at Fair Lawn Cemetery, Fair Lawn.
Mr. Sackett is survived by his daughter, Joyce Osborne of Lancaster, Pa; his son, Brian of O'Fallon, Ill; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
He was predeceased by his wife, the former Eleanor Michaelson; and his companion, Anne Macko.
—Suburban Trends, West Milford, New Jersey, 14 Aug 2013, p B7
Wayne—William M. "Bill" Sackett, 95, of Wayne, Haskell, and Butler, died Aug. 9, 2013.
Bill was born and raised in Hawthorne and graduated with the first graduating class from Hawthorne High School in 1935. He lived in Prospect Park and worked first at a service station pumping gasoline, and later worked for the Little Falls Laundry in the shirt department. This where he met his wife Eleanor. Bill found out what street she lived on and drove his Model A Ford there and saw her outside. He stopped, they started talking, and before he knew it they were on their way to Libby's Lunch where he had a hot dog and she had a roast beef sandwich. They fell in love and married in South Dakota where Bill was stationed with the Army Air Corps.
Bill enlisted in the Cadet program with the U.S. Army and served in the Army Air Corps from 1942 through 1945. During his time in the Corps he received three Air Medals, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and one Recognition from the government of China. As part of the flight crew on a C46 Cargo Plane his responsibilities varied from Radio Operator to Co-Pilot. He remembered carrying all sorts of cargo to supply our troops in China, Burma, and India. Flying "The Hump," which was a route over the Himalayan Mountains from India to China, to resupply the Chinese war effort.
He was a member of the Hump Pilot's Association, the Air Force Association, the American Legion, and was a leader in the Explorer Scouts for many years. After his military service William worked for the Curtis Wright Corporation in Caldwell as a field engineer. He would later go on to become president of Tri County Leasing a division of Atkins Chevrolet in Wayne from 1961 through 1987.
He enjoyed talking about his World War II memories and his extensive travels in the China-India-Burma region during World War II. He especially loved the ocean.
Husband of the late Eleanor (nee Michaelson) Sackett (1989). After the passing of Eleanor he enjoyed a special relationship with the late Anne Macko. Father of Joyce Ann Osborne who is the wife of William of Lancaster, Pa., and Brian Sackett of O'Fallon, Ill; grandfather of six; and great-grandfather of eight.
Arrangements: Vander May Wayne Colonial Funeral Home, Wayne.
—Passaic Valley Today, Little Falls, New Jersey, 22 Aug 2013, p A20.
Eleanor Michaelson Sackett, 67, of Wayne, died Tuesday.
Born in Prospect Park, she lived there before moving to Wayne 37 years ago. Mrs. Sackett was a member of Unity Christian Reformed Church of Prospect Park.
Survivors include her husband, William M; a son, Air Force Capt. Brian W. of McGuire Air Force Base; a daughter Joyceann Osborne of Lampeter, Pa; two brothers, Philip Michaelson of Pompton Lakes and Henry Michaelson of Wayne; two sisters, Martina Smith of Hawthorne and Katherine Rivers of Thermal, Calif; and five grandchildren.
Services are 1:30 p.m. at Vander May Wayne Wayne Colonial Funeral Home, 567 Ratzer Road, Wayne.
—The Herald-News, Passaic, New Jersey, 26 Jul 1989, p 18.
|Sackett line||10th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- "New Jersey, Deaths Index, 1901–2017", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, William M, d. New Jersey, 9 Aug 2013, b. Hawthorne, NJ, 26 Sep 1917."
- "South Dakota, Marriages, 1905–2017", digital image, Ancestry.com, "1 Dec 1943, at Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, SD, William M Sackett, of Haledon, Passaic County, NJ, 26, bachelor; to Eleanor Michaelson, of Prospect Park, Passaic County, NJ, 21, maiden. By John Nieuwsma, Minister of the Gospel."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index", database, American Ancestors, "Eleanor Sackett, b. Jun 7, 1922, d. Jul, 1989, SSN 135-18-7571 issued NJ, residence Wayne, New Jersey, 07470, county Passaic."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Eleanor, d. Wayne Township, Passaic, NJ, 25 Jul 1989, age 67, b. 7 Jun 1922."
- Website Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com).
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, T625/1062/65 Hawthorne, Passaic County, New Jersey, 8 January 1920
Sackett, William, head, home rented, 38, married, b. NJ, father b. NY, mother b. NY, teamster, coal company
Sackett, Etta, wife, 28, b. NY, father b. Holland, mother b. Holland, occ. none
Sackett, William, son, 2 3/12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NY
Melvin, Wesley, boarder, male, 1 4/12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NJ.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 11B, Enumeration District 0123, FHL microfilm 2341112
Wagner Place, Hawthorne, Passaic, New Jersey, 11 Apr 1930
Sackett, William, head, 48, m. at 30, chauffeur, transportation, b. NJ, father b. US, mother b. US, home rented, $30
Sackett, Etta, wife, 38, m. at 20, weaver, silk mill, b. NY, father b. Holland, mother b. Holland
Sackett, William, son, 12, b. NJ, father b. NJ, mother b. NY.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947", digital image, Ancestry.com, "William Meserole Sackett, 296 Belmont Ave, Haledon, Passaic, NJ, age 23, b. Hawthorne, NJ, 26 Sep 1917, nok Mrs Etta Sackett, mother, emp Little Falls Laundry, 101 East Main St, Little Falls, race white, ht 5-6, eyes brown, wt 135, hair brown, complexion light. Reg Haledon, Passaic County, New Jersey, 16 Oct 1940."
|Last Edited||27 Oct 2020|