David Alexander Sackett
|Father||John W Sacket (1793-1837)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Bates (1789-1854)|
In 1850 David was living in Burlington, Des Moines County, IowaG, in the household of his widowed mother Elizabeth, and was recorded in the census as David Sackett, aged 28 and born in Indiana.9
David came to Oregon overland from Iowa in 1852. His wife Mary had come as a child with her parents from Missouri by the Plains route in 1844.1
In 1860 he was living in Howell Prairie, Marion County, OregonG, and was recorded as D A Sackett, a farmer, aged 38. Living with him were his wife Mary, 21, and their children, John 2, and Aaron, aged nine months.10
In 1880 David was living at Howell Prairie, Marion County, OregonG, and was recorded in the census as David A Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 56. Living with him were his wife Mary, 41, and their children, Aaron, 21, Elizabeth, 19, Thomas, 16, Alfred, 14, Eddie, 12, Jane, 9, Franklin, 5, Royal, 3, and Clarissa, aged two.11
On 10 September 1890, following David's death in March of the previous year, his youngest children, Jane, Roy, and Clara, still minors, were placed under the guardianship of Henry Crow, husband of the children's older sister Sarah. David's widow Mary was by that date an inmate at the insane asylum and unable to take responsibility for her children.12
In 1900 David's widow Mary was living at the Oregon State Insane Asylum, East Salem, Marion CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Mary Sackett, an inmate, aged 63.13
(Src: Find A Grave, Sherrie Hambleton)
Children of David Alexander Sackett and Mary Shaw
- John William Sackett b. 18 Jul 1858
- Aaron Sackett+ b. 24 Oct 1859, d. 21 Jan 1937
- Sarah Elizabeth Sackett+ b. 22 Feb 1861, d. 5 Oct 1959
- Thomas Sackett b. 30 Dec 1863, d. 1940
- Alfred Sackett+ b. 13 Jul 1866, d. 2 Nov 1919
- Edward Sackett b. 20 Jun 1868, d. 2 Apr 1885
- Effa Jane Sackett b. 16 May 1871, d. 19 Apr 1893
- Franklin Sackett b. 27 May 1875, d. 29 Apr 1885
- Royal Leonard "Roy" Sackett+ b. 5 Jun 1877, d. 17 Nov 1969
- Clara Clarissa Sackett b. 11 Apr 1880, d. 24 Apr 1932
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 4098|
|Charts||Tree 7. Simon Sackett the colonist descendant chart|
Notes & Citations
- "Oregon, Biographical and Other Index Card File, 1700s–1900s", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, David Alexander, b. Ohio, 9 Jul 1822, ancestry English & Irish, m. Mary Shaw in Marion Co, 17 Jan 1856, by Rev Alvin F Waller or Rev E Garrison, came to Oregon overland from Iowa, 1852, located Tongue Point, Howell Prairie, religion Methodist Church, politics Democrat, occ. farmer, d. 17 Mar 1887 or 18 Mar 1889."
- Gravestone has b. 3 Jul 1822. 1850 census, 1880 census, & marriage record have b. Indiana; 1860 census has b. Iowa; Oregon Card File has b. Ohio.
- Daniel Floyd Sackett's database, has d. Canyonville, 18 Mar 1889.
- Daniel Floyd Sackett's database.
- "Marion County, Oregon, Marriage Records, 1849–1900", digital image, Ancestry.com, "17 Jan 1856, Marion County, Oregon, David A Sackett & Mary Shaw. By Enoch Garrison, M.G. Wit: Guideon Cox & Thomas Shaw."
- "US and International Marriage Records, 1560–1900", database, Ancestry.com, "1856, Oregon, David Alexander Sackett, b. IN, 1822, & Mary Shaw, b. MO, 1838."
- "Oregon, Biographical and Other Index Card File, 1700s–1900s", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Mrs Mary (Shaw), b. Clay County, Missouri, 1837, ancestry Scotch & Irish, m. David Alexander Sackett at Marion Co, Ore, 17 Jan 1856, started to Oregon 10 May 1844 from Missouri, route Plains, arrived 15 Nov 1844, first location Marion Co, occ housewife, d. Salem Oregon, 1903, children: John William, b. 18 Jul 1858; Aaron, b. 24 Oct 1859; Sarah Elizabeth Sackett Crow, b. 22 Feb; Thomas; Alfred; Effie Jane; Benjamin Franklin; Royal Leonard; and Clara Clarissa. Was a member of the M.E. Church."
- Website Oregon State Archives (https://secure.sos.state.or.us), "Shaw, Mary, b. 9 Jul 1838, Clay Co, MO, d. 25 Jul 1904, Marion Co, OR, bur. Riddle Cemetery, Riddle, Douglas Co, OR, mother Sarah Gilliam b. 1 May 1796, father William Thomas Shaw, m. David Alexander Sackett, 17 Jan 1856, Marion Co, OR, b. 3 Jul 1822."
- 1850 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M432_183; Page: 463B; Image: 285
Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, 31 Oct 1850
Sackett, Elizabeth, 61, real estate $500, b. NY
Sackett, David, 28, b. IN
Sackett, Martha, 23, b. OH
Sackett, Aaron, 21, b. IL
Sackett, Christopher, 18, b. IL.
- 1860 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_1056; Page: 403; Family History Library Film: 805056
Howell Prairie, Marion County, Oregon, 6 Jul 1860
Sackett, D A, 38, farmer, real estate $800, personal estate $775, b. IA
Sackett, M, 21, b. MO
Sackett, J W, 2, b. OR
Sackett, A, 9/12, b. OR.
- 1880 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: 1082; Page: 148D; Enumeration District: 087
Howell Prairie, Marion County, Oregon, 8 Jun 1880
Sackett, David A, head, 56, farmer, b. IN, father b. VT, mother b. VT
Sackett, Mary, wife, 41, keeping house, b. MO, father b. NC, mother b. NC
Sackett, Aaron, son, 21, farm laborer, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Elizabeth, dau, 19, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Thomas, son, 16, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Alfred, son, 14, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Eddie, son, 12, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Jane, dau, 9, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Franklin, son, at home, 5, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Royal, son, 3, at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO
Sackett, Clarissa, dau, 2/12, b. Apr. at home, b. OR, father b. IN, mother b. MO.
- Thurmon King's database, citing Janet Carlson 2010-03-07, Abstraction from Guardianship Papers, Douglas County, Oregon Courts, "Sackett, David, Minor Heirs of. Box 13 Volume 27 File 8. Guardianship Papers: Date: 10 Sept 1890; Place: Douglas County, Oregon; Henry A. Crow of Douglas County, Oregon was appointed guardian of Jane Sackett, aged 18; Roy Sackett, aged 13; Clara Sackett, aged 10, minor heirs of David Sackett who died 18 March 1889. Notes: Henry A. Crow's wife is a sister to the children. The children's mother, Mary Sackett was in the insane asylum."
- 1900 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Page: 12; Enumeration District: 0181; FHL microfilm: 1241349
Oregon State Insane Asylum, East Salem, Marion County, Oregon, 30 Jun 1900
Sackett, Mary, inmate, 63, married, no ch, b. MO, father b. unk, mother b. unk, housewife.
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Last Edited||28 February 2019|